1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Locking up brakes, tips for load cell?

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by buddhatree, Mar 25, 2020.

1. buddhatree

buddhatree Member

Hey guys, I've spent two days now with the beta and I'm very impressed! Very glad I got another chance to buy-in because I missed it the first time.

The only issue I'm having is that I'm locking up my brakes quit a bit. I don't have this problem with my other sims, but I did have the exact same issue with pCARS 2 and never solved it there either.

Anyone else with a load-cell brake having lock-up issues? Any suggestions would be very welcome. Thanks.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Kevin Tanton

Kevin Tanton Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Try car setup. Turn down the brake pressure from 100% to a lower level.

• Like Like x 2
  3. buddhatree

buddhatree Member

Yeah, tried that. It's either lock-up or not being able to stop in time. I can't seem find the medium between the two.

4. Brainbug

Brainbug Inside Virtual Reality AMS2 Club Member

hm, i have the CSL Elite Pedals LC also, and i have to say that breakfeel is awsome here.

sure, car dependant for sure, but if i stamp on brakes 100% sure i lock up. thats how it should be. this will give you a spectrum to "feel" your brakes and the amount where they start to lock.
    And here in my case they do not lock up to early.
    i like the brakes in AMS2.

• Like Like x 1
  5. stephen haley

stephen haley New Member AMS2 Club Member

Theres also break sensitivity in the controller settings..

• Like Like x 1
  6. Victor Sviatopolk Mirsky

Victor Sviatopolk Mirsky New Member AMS2 Club Member

I'm having the same issue with a T150 + T3PA-Pro.

• Like Like x 2
  7. buddhatree

buddhatree Member

I have brake sensitivity at 35 with 10% deadzone and I still lock up. Spent two years dealing with this with pCARS 2 and never solved it with *any* settings. Really hope I can fix it with AMS 2.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. cpcdem

cpcdem Active Member AMS2 Club Member

How do you brake though? Just full press on the pedal, or are you modulating it? That's the most important thing...

• Like Like x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  9. Dean Ogurek

Dean Ogurek "Love the Simulation You're Dreaming In." AMS2 Club Member

I have the same issue using HE-Pro's, overly sensitive braking causing constant lockups. It's as if the controller's range is compressed. In Pcars2, I had some success by reducing brake-power settings and reducing the sensitivity for brake-pedal but, there were still times where I had to re-calibrate the axis (new sessions) to have it work better.

• Like Like x 1
  10. buddhatree

buddhatree Member

I try to modulate, same as I brake on all my other sims, but it's nearly impossible. It's only the Madness engine that gives me this issue. Like Dean said above, it's like the brake range is compressed and super sensitive. I've tried calibrating the pedals in-game but it's like it just ignores the fact that I have a load cell. It goes to 100 before I hit the load-cell resistance.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  11. cpcdem

cpcdem Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Hmm, interesting, in PCARS2 in most cars I could actually just stomp the brakes and for the most part forget about it, but indeed now in AMS2 it generally needs much more modulation, which looks more realistic to me. Do you get this equally with all cars?

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  12. tlsmikey

tlsmikey Active Member AMS2 Club Member

The controller input range is too small. I asked for this in one of the Beta reports, but not sure if they'll address it. When you calibrate your pedals, you'll notice you barely get to half travel before it's maxed out in AMS2.

They need to extend the range of input to capture the full fidelity. Not sure if this is an easy change or a hard one.

• Like Like x 3
  13. Brainbug

Brainbug Inside Virtual Reality AMS2 Club Member

lemme ask you a question:
    on how much brake-pedal movement (%) do you experience lock-ups and on which amount (%) you would like to expect the brakes to lock-up?

• Like Like x 1
  14. keith windsor

keith windsor Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I agree, driving the F3 it seems excessively easy to lock the brakes. I have sensitivity at default (30% I think), but lowering it to zero does not make any difference.
    I feel I should have to press the brake a lot more for a formula car, but I only have to press it a small amount, (less than a quarter of it's travel, maybe even only 10% of it's travel), and the brakes will lock. In other words, a small tap is all that is needed for each turn, which seems too small an amount.
    I'm using G27 pedals via adaptor with Thrustmaster T300.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Johngrim64

Johngrim64 Member AMS2 Club Member

The default setups have the brake balance to much to the front so very easy to lock up fronts try a few clicks back .I think the brake balance buttons are back to front and need changing unless that's been fixed and iv not noticed.

• Like Like x 3
  16. buddhatree

buddhatree Member

I can't give you a %, you know it's muscle memory :) I just want to brake like I brake with all my other sims. Sure each sim is a little different, but I don't have lockups.

It's beta/early access so I'm sure we'll see improvements. It's all good.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Marius H

Marius H Internal Beta Tester Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

I've no difficulties braking with the CSL Elite LC. I just place the brake power so that I do not flatspot anymore. Depending on car it can be 3 or 5% off from default. and no, I do not stomp on the brakes like it's an arcade game. :p

18. sherpa25

sherpa25 Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Having driven mostly GT3 cars, that was my tendency (initial hard quickly then ease off), but learned that's not the norm with these other cars.
    For V8's, how do you know if you're locking? When hard braking (right before max), I hear some slight squeak sound, is this the lock point? If so, I can't brake at same point as AI then. OTOH, when I do this (even I hear that brake squeak sound), the car brakes better (ie. car stops faster), though I believe they should not if brakes are locked, w/c should make travel farther. Anyone enlighten on this. Same or similar sound w/ Sprint, Ultima, etc.

19. Dean Ogurek

Dean Ogurek "Love the Simulation You're Dreaming In." AMS2 Club Member

After yesterdays updates, I re-calibrated the pedals and found improved brake performance although, it still seems to vary from one car to the next. I was very careful to calibrate the brake-pedal very slowly but, I'm not sure that is the trick. Might be worth trying for others with load-cell brakes.

• Like Like x 1
  20. keith windsor

keith windsor Active Member AMS2 Club Member

But (using F3 as my example again), in the very first moment of braking from 150mph into a 2nd or 3rd gear bend, surely I should actually NEED to stamp on the brakes. I believe I should NEED to use considerable force *at first*, followed by tapering off as I slow down. And in that first half second of considerable force, it should not lock up easily due to the weight and forward momentum of the car.
    Only in the following moments as the car slows, should a lockup be increasingly likely to occur, if the driver fails to taper the force away from the brake.

Currently this is not what I am experiencing - only light force is needed to almost instantly lock brakes.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1