1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anti aliasing

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by 2ndLastJedi, Nov 22, 2019.

1. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Internal Tester AMS2 Club Member

Yah, sorry, I didn't realize what forum I was in!!

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. Bull Shark

Bull Shark Later has long since begun. AMS2 Club Member

Yeah I know m8. But I’m not talking about night races. The AA in night races are really bad atm.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Free speech matters AMS2 Club Member

I haven't payed any attention to iR for a long while but this video came up on my feed and i watched it , well hasn't iR come a long way ! I remember it looking quite poor for a long time , now the AA and shadows are very nice , i hope in time AMS 2 can look as clean as this !

I realize the budget and size of develop team is just a little bigger than Reiza but iR certainly is something to strive for in more ways than just their online community !

Why does it get the biggest names in motor sport anyway ?

Even GTS has such a nice clean image !

What are these titles doing to get such nice AA and shadows ?

4. 2ndLastJedi

Hopefully still getting attention ! Needs better AA and AMS 2 will look amazing , shaders already look better than pC2 but AA is the same :(

5. Bull Shark

Bull Shark Later has long since begun. AMS2 Club Member

Yeah totally agree. Please Reiza team. Take a deeper look into this AA problem. I finally want to drive at night without those nasty artefacts we currently see.

• Agree Agree x 4
  6. bobbie424242

bobbie424242 Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

You cannot compare GTS (or iRacing) to the Madness Engine: the former has (very nice) baked lighting and shadows and fixed weather, while the latter is much more complex with a full dynamic day/night cycle and lighting + weather variations, resulting in a huge amount of lighting and shadowing variations some other games with more static graphic engines do not have. Which does not mean there cannot be improvement in anti-aliasing, but it is not an easy task for the problematic cases (low sun with zillions shadows, night).

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. 2ndLastJedi

I appreciate that , doesn't mean i cant hope for better in the only sims i want to play ! Its already been stated that something is being worked on but i also heard that from IB back in early pC2 development but we know what came of that :rolleyes: Lets hope Reiza are able to manage better than them ! At least Reiza plan on keeping on pushing AMS 2 where SMS had apparent things stopping them :confused:

8. 2ndLastJedi

Can anyone be bothered going through the AA options again now we have a retail release ? Ive done it so many times , trying all in game options and all NVCP options in both AMS 2 and pC2 and really cant be that bothered but really hopeful Reiza have improved it somewhere from the early beta ! I still use MSAA Medium because it looks similar to High but the shadow issue is still as bad as even with this setting :(

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Marc Collins

No one from Reiza has said a word about graphics, so why would anyone think anything had changed? I look forward to improvements to the AA shadows mess we have now, but won't be wasting a moment fiddling with anything until I see it mentioned in a change log.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  10. Empty Box

Empty Box Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Came across a link to this thread...

Honestly, I think 99% of the problem is the tree shadows are simply too detailed. They are very "crispy" and have little softness to them so it just amplifies the amount of detail trying to be displayed. The shadows in iRacing for example don't have that type of "ooo, look at the individual tree branches" shadows which in the end actually (imo) works out better. It's probably less demanding too as I bet they are technically lower resolution that way as well.

Sure the PC2 style looks great in a screen shot, but... not so much motion.

Throwing resolution / AA at it isn't really the solution imo.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  11. th3orist

th3orist Member

I have to agree here, shadows are in a weird way unnecessarily crispy looking.
    Other than that, i bought into the game with the EA release a couple days ago and was surprised to see that it actually already looks better than PC2 in terms of image cleanness.

12. 2ndLastJedi

Sounds good and quite well could be the solution but if you have a look at the shadows around the track they are already super low resolution and really saw tooth in look
    1066880_20200328132738_1.png

1066880_20200325225427_1.png

So if tree shadows get lowered more then what are the rest of the shadows going to look like ? Would it be possible to lower tree shadow resolution and not the rest of the shadows ? Even to the point as the flag shadows in pic 1 disappear as the camera gets further away !

I was wondering if a shadow blur could be added ?

As you can probably tell i have no idea about programming a game but do have a good eye for the details , just not sure how it should be done to get the better image ! What i do know is , something really needs to be done to fix the shimmering shadows that cross the track causing it to be quite hard to even see the apex in some situations !

13. 2ndLastJedi

Also you can see post #32 stating Reiza have some solutions that they are working on when they have time :) This is promising and i wonder what they have in mind ?

• Like Like x 2
  14. Marc Collins

Shadow blur is a setting from other sims. AA overall is excellent, except when a shadow is involved. There has to be a solution to this, but agree, it isn't just killing FPS by trying to AA the hell out of extremely (unnecessarily) detailed shadows.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Empty Box

Empty Box Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I If they are softer it'll be less noticeable to start with.

I don't know for a fact iRacing's shadows are lower res, but I can see they are softer and by being softer they could be lower resolution and get away with it. Crispyness needs resolution.

I bet you'd probably get better results doing downsampling than some of the AA options in this scenario.

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. 2ndLastJedi

We all know what it looks like but i thought i put this here for prosperity , when Reiza update the way shadows are rendered we can look back and laugh at what 2020 shadows looked like :rolleyes:
    1066890_20200406224220_1 - Copy.png

Amazing really how good the rest of the image looks even at 1080p and truly let down by those shadows ! and this is how stills look , in motion :eek: :(

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. Coanda

Coanda aahhh whinge whinge f@#ken whinge.. Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

For consideration..

Please do not follow suite and make it TAA only. The AA is fine for me with 4k DSR & MSAA/MFAA. TAA is extremely blurry and causes all sorts of ghosting issues..

• Agree Agree x 3
  18. 2ndLastJedi

It seems its the shadows that are the issue , MSAA is working well on all other assets its just shadows that need something more done ! If Reiza make the shadows look better , not so low res or so sharp then AMS 2 will not only feel amazing it will be the best looking Sim on the market .
    Hopefully before full release we will have some more information other than what is in post #32 !

• Agree Agree x 5
  19. MrGold

MrGold Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Issue is with shadows, reflections and round car bodyparts in VR.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  20. Erik Geelhuijzen

Erik Geelhuijzen Member AMS2 Club Member

I did not notice this thread while it is, at least for me, a very important one! Hope this is somewhere on the to do list!

• Like Like x 1