Question about the graphics please

Discussion in 'Automobilista - General Discussion' started by Kostis Vigos, May 10, 2016.

1. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Active Member AMS2 Club Member

As I said it's WIP, should be released once AMS is out of EA so the chances of updates that break the mod reduce drastically. :)

2. DaVeX

DaVeX AMSUnofficial Staff AMS2 Club Member

Are you sure about UE4? Cryengine seems a lot better for racing games...
    (Some UE games are heavy...)
    @Renato Simioni I know is still early but I will love to know how is going with new game engine...(I don't ask for a dev blog but will be great to see how a sim growths)

3. Renato Simioni

Renato Simioni Administrator Staff Member

I think people should try not lose perspective of what AMS is and where it fits along the timeline here: we licensed the ISI source code roughly 1 year ago - that´s when we effectively decided on our dev path moving forward; we made the crowdfunding campaign for further SCE developments (which ultimately evolved into AMS) on july/15; we launched AMS in march/16. AMS is a collection of low/mid hanging fruits we could pick up & deliver in a relatively short timeframe, to have a much more competitive sim out while we developed the larger / longer term project. So it´s important keep under consideration what was achieved in just 1 year & the fact these developments were given for free to our whole existing SCE user base, which is not a very usual standard by any measure.

As we´ve stated before, for the next product we´re working on replacing the graphics engine altogether, so we also do not consider the current GFX satisfactory in the long run - it is however (when bundled with everything else) a very competitive all-around sim you can enjoy today.

Developing our next project will demand a lot more time and resources then AMS has, so having AMS and its associated products out help us fund it, and also gives our users (both old and new) something a lot better than SCE to enjoy right now - that´s the end goal for AMS. Reaching those who have "last gen" graphics as a primary criteria (and there are indeed many) was never one of the goals for AMS, or indeed an achievable one.

Those of you who do enjoy AMS but are also urging for us to move to the next level, specially those long-time SCE players should consider contributing to that end goal by chipping in the Reiza membership packs if you haven´t already, as anything short & long term is coming out of that same pot ;)

• Like Like x 5
  4. Renato Simioni

It´s still way too early - AMS itself is still in development, and that´s the ball we´re all playing with atm.

5. DaVeX

Thanks for your reply, AMS graphic is ok for me, I don't urge for a new engine right now but I am sincerely curious to know how is going, wich are the tecnical difficulties or good surprises, etc etc but I understand would be time consuming for you guys...so I will sit and wait...

Edit:
    You are faster than me..as usual lol, thanks for your reply!!!

6. Will Mazeo

This :)
    Just curious but is there anything done in the Boxer Cup (on visuals) that wasn't done for some other cars/tracks? I think that car looks a bit "above" the level of others in the game. I could be mistaken tho, I'm not good at watching details at all but the car just looks like it has something more while VIR looks like it has something lacking compared to other tracks (also on visuals), don't know how to explain :s

7. DaVeX

I think boxer Cup needs some adjustments, I suffer some fps loss while racing with them...

• Like Like x 1
  8. Renato Simioni

Cars have generally moved up a level since the Lancers in SCE already. We have to keep in mind some of the cars like the StockV8s were originally modelled 4 years ago, so naturally look a bit dated by comparison.

The same generally applies to the tracks, though they are still being developed by the same team following roughly the same standards,it´s natural later tracks will be a bit higher quality (disagree thus generally about VIR lacking).

9. wowbagger

wowbagger Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I think many of us ... and by that I mean me :p, aren't terribly concerned with the graphics because of two main reasons.

1- The graphic are already good enough to provide suspension of disbelief and allow you to immerse yourself in the feeling of being in the car, on the track. Personally I find much of the other high end graphic stuff over the top and actually detracts from this suspension of disbelief.

2- More importantly, the games industry has a sordid history, starting in the early 2000s, when graphics started getting far more developed, and getting steadily worse since then, of pouring resources into shiny bells and whistles which look great in a trailer, but at the expense of depth of game play and things that matter in the long term enjoyment of a game - in the case of racing games: physics, car handling, and artificial intelligence. And often the shiny bells and whistles both are used to appeal to the broadest audience and require the capital from a huge user base. However, appealing to the lowest common denominator and depth of simulation and game play rarely go hand-in-hand. This is also, I think, why so many pc racers take every opportunity to trash console gaming.

So yes, if I can have it ALL then bring on the fancy graphics (just no motion blur please - it's just plain ridiculous). But if resources are limited, fancy graphics rate fairly low on the priority list for me. There are enough developers chasing graphics bling, we don't need Reiza becoming just another one like the rest.

I appreciate the argument that better graphics means more buyers, which means more resources to play with. But that has to come with a very adept ability to scale simulation vs game as well, because it isn't impressive graphics alone that makes a game appeal to the masses. And again, we have enough F1 2016s in the market already.

Last edited: May 30, 2016
  10. Will Mazeo

I see. Well to me something in VIR seems to be out of place. I'll check my video card setting once again to see if anything is wrong there :) thanks for answering

11. Pr3t3nd3r

Pr3t3nd3r New Member

Any words about the cockpit driver animation?

Last edited: May 30, 2016
    • Like Like x 2
  12. P*Funk

P*Funk Active Member

If anything seems amiss with VIR its probably just due to the fact that its a sprawling open green space with relatively few man made objects and where the existing graphics engine seems to falter is in representing nature. Major improvements in graphics have come for the more man made end of things which is easier to accomplish but things like trees, which constitute a huge part of the background, are obviously not going to look as good.

A place like Spielberg is similarly open however also tends to look a bit more natural because its got that fantastic but relatively distant vista which can be very nicely represented with lower fidelity graphics while the trees at VIR are very much in your face.

Frankly when you look at VIR in real life it basically looks like someone was planning a rather bland looking golf course and at the last minute someone paved a race track instead. Its hardly the prettiest place in reality frankly, the now departed Oak Tree aside.

I think if Reiza had some next gen grass physics with DX12 shaded bumblebees people would probably be a lot more enthused.* XD

*warning, extreme lacing of irony present in this sentence

13. Rob Nelson

Rob Nelson Member AMS2 Club Member

I visited VIR this past weekend and I can say that the place has never looked better. There was a lot of rain in Virginia during the month of May and I think this contributed to everything looking very green and fresh.

14. P*Funk

P*Funk Active Member

Well usually when I see it its washed out by mid summer sun beating on it. Even so, lush grass is not the best thing that the current graphics engine does, not to mention the lack of any HDR lighting on such a vast expanse is going to be obvious.

But I guess I just miss the Oak Tree. :(

15. muzarati

muzarati Member

Same here

16. Rob Nelson

Rob Nelson Member AMS2 Club Member

I'm sure VIR will not look as nice when I go back there in August for the IMSA race. I, too, miss the Oak Tree. It's not the same corner without tree limbs hanging over the track.

[​IMG]

17. P*Funk

P*Funk Active Member

@Rob Nelson Talk about a buzzkill, that picture has two depressing items in it.

Firstly no Oak Tree anymore, then no Falken team either.

18. REM1976

REM1976 BANNED BANNED AMS2 Club Member

LFS graphics are now better than AMS, they have retuned the lighting and it looks fantastic on their dated game engine. The lighting is key to the graphics, not so much the details.

19. SaxOhare

SaxOhare Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

SW.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  20. gongo

gongo Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

-

Last edited: Jan 16, 2021
    • Like Like x 3