1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Compared to AMS physics?

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Cully, Apr 2, 2020.

1. Cully

Cully Active Member AMS2 Club Member

So AMS 1 is still my favourite when it comes to physics and pure driving feel which is the most important element in a sim in my opinion.
    When i heard about AMS 2 and the PCARS2 engine i was very fearful as i cannot stand PCars 1 and 2.
    Back last summer i tore my rotator cuff in my shoulder so no simracing ever since thus im out of the loop with all things simracing lately.
    All along i had planed to buy a new wheel when AMS 2 arrived [long story but my T300 was dead after 3 days] but im hearing talk of it being PCARS 2.5 etc etc.
    Can i ask some old school AMS fans who enjoy its physics to comment on AMS2 physics please.
    I really want to get AMS2 now that it is in early access but does this thing feel like like AMS out on the track or more like pcars?

Last edited: Apr 2, 2020
  2. Joe Gransinger

Joe Gransinger New Member

It does not feel like pcars, but also doesn't feel like AMS 1 to me. Like you, AMS 1 was the pinnacle of ffb and physics for me. I felt like I could predict and feel the tires on the road, and the tires felt planted on the asphalt. I don't get that feeling from AMS2 yet. Things feel a bit more floaty, and wobbly, and imbalanced. I don't really know how to explain it. I can't tell where my wheels will lock up, and I really don't feel the brakes at all. The car feels pretty tippy and like soft suspension around corners in a lot of the cars, and then some cars feel solid and great. It's a mixed bag right now, imo.

You'll hear people say it feels just just like AMS 1 and other people say it feels just like Pcars2. I don't really agree with either, but to me, something doesn't feel quite right yet unfortunately, but I do think it's pretty close and will hopefully improve more soon.

• Agree Agree x 12
    • Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Cully

Thankyou Joe,, i should have asked initially but is Neils involved in AMS2 physics?

4. eg01st

eg01st Member

I bought AMS2 yesterday, currently have 5 hours in.

AMS2 is not like AMS1, not yet at least.

I did a test. Hotlapping Stock Car at Interlagos.

AMS2 has strong tendency to start rotating into oversteer when I press throttle slightly too much in the middle of corner. If I stop adding power and countersteer, rear end snaps back and I exit corner normally.

If I push throttle mid corner in AMS1, car starts to slide ot of corner into a more oversteery maner. But it depends on angle, I can get into understeer to. But overall it behaves more balanced, like all 4 wheels are working.

AMS2 behaviour feels artificial, like "there you go, this is where we should punish you with oversteer", and car rotates like front would be stuck to the ground and rear is doing its own thing. But this oversteer is easy to control, like car has no weight at all.

Overall I was a bit disappointed with AMS2 handling. But I got used to it, like all humans do.

AMS1 is still the best feeling sim on par with rf2.

EDIT: I don't change default setups and all assists are off.

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Like Like x 5
  5. eg01st

eg01st Member

And as Joe said, the brakes are weird. I push them slightly and they lock up. I use V3 loadcells, but it feels like I'm back to G27 - there is no response from car and then wheels just lock up.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  6. AlexBfromG

AlexBfromG Well-Known Member

thanks for folks here pointing those things out, i just picked up AMS1 last weekend and thats why the difference in feel was pretty noticable to me.
    the feeling of weight is different, and like it was said the tires feel like you steer the tires with your steering wheel, while in AMS2 its a bit like you are forcing the car into everything.

7. Marius H

Marius H Internal Beta Tester Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

AMS 1 has 10 years of development. And 4 years of finetuning since 2016. It's great. It's awesome. It's amazing. Physics work out of the box and the FFB too. There's nothing wrong with AMS 1 if you look it as whole.

AMS 2 has ... years of development and 3 weeks ago it saw LFB changing into something else. The physics are great. It only needs some BoP and other stuff a bit tweaked. The FFB need finetuning here and there. However the base, the stuff under the hood is very well.

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 3
  8. AlexBfromG

AlexBfromG Well-Known Member

somehow everything is already great, but also needs works. interesting. we speak again once the game is 1.0, but saying all is well and good already is not productive, constructive criticism is needed. and people pointing those things out here are not trolling

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  9. Marius H

Marius H Internal Beta Tester Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

Thats what I am saying :p

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. SaxOhare

SaxOhare Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I love it already, the harder you push the faster you can go,. Put pressure on your tires. As soon as you drive to careful it is hard to go fast. It feels like I am rewarded for pushing the cars.
    and about your question, for me it is nothing like AMS1. Car, track combination I was struggling with in AMS1 are a joy in AMS2, but i miss the subtility of AMS1, I think we will end up somewhere in the middle

• Informative Informative x 1
  11. Loic

Loic New Member

I find the worst thing about physic is the way it handles load on the front wheels. I feel like trail braking into slow corners is wonky as hell and not predictable. The mid corner grip is weird too, it likes to suddenly start to understeer badly as soon as you try to front load the front tire a bit to try and get more rotation. Also, getting back on the power mid corner feels overly sensitive but I can deal with that. The physic is manageable overall but not my cup of tea atm. I’ll be back after they update it.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. Gasngrip

Gasngrip Member

hey guys, nice points you made...
    for me ams1 has nothing to do so far with ams2, maybe only ffb seems similar.
    for the rest, as things stand ( not even v1.0 ) the feel for me is more arcade than sim..too easy to saty on track even pushing at the limit. i'm not that good of a driver and when i push hard i almost everytime make some mistake that makes me go out of track, but ajr p1 seem to me almost impossible to push too hard if you get what i mean.... nevetherless as others have stated this is only first impressions of rc and not of a full game so the way i view it is, now is the time to pick the game up at a covenient price, send some feedback here on the forum, and patiently wait fot reiza team to do their magic like with ams 1... at least that's what i hope..

Last edited: Apr 3, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  13. Robin_NL

Robin_NL Member

AMS felt so mechanical and real. AMS2 has that rubberband feel in the FFB.
    Even at GAIN 3 and the rest at zero. (G920) but ok this is stil EA.

Cheers
    Robin

14. Wing Long Chung

Wing Long Chung New Member AMS2 Club Member

Some people mentioned that it is too easy, thus not realistic.
    I am not claiming rather AMS2 is realistic or not, but I just want to point out that.

Difficult doesn't mean that it is realistic.
    Easy doesn't means that it is not realisitc.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Woodee

Woodee Simracing Junkie AMS2 Club Member

If you are always comparing to AMS 1 and a previous game, ie your comfort zone, then you will never be satisfied with whatever AMS 2 becomes. Compare it to real life because that is what it is trying to simulate!

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  16. Dean Ogurek

Dean Ogurek "Love the Simulation You're Dreaming In." AMS2 Club Member

I agree however, it's difficult to find any two RL race-car drivers that agree on which sim best represents reality, and even then they tend to base opinions on different criteria.

It's understandable that the focus in racing is on winning. It needs to be but, Simulation offers us so much more than that.

Simulation Value: Reality being 100% & science based
    Simulation X/Y/Z = 60% (best case scenario with advanced hardware) *estimated value (imo)
    1. Simulating real-life physics in racing simulations is one thing (verified by math & science).
    2. Doing it effectively through very limited feedback streams is another (perceived effects).
    3. Doing it effectively in a more immersive way is yet another ( bringing emotion / excitement / Adrenalin, etc.). Perceived reality.
    We need to keep in mind that in the quest for ever greater reality in Racing Simulation, we don't deny ourselves the benefit of experiencing both competition, and a more immersive driving experience.

I think it's something that often gets overlooked while the focus is mostly about Winning. For some, winning may be the experience of driving, or the journey, not being the best.

17. Gnu009

Gnu009 Member

Well, to me it’s not about winning, it’s about taking part.
    And the caterhams here suck real hard.
    I like to take part with them in AMS1, and take a win some time.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
  18. Cully

Thanks all for the replies, im planing to grab a new G29 or something once i can order one somewhere but meanwhile how is this with a Gamepad? Cant believe im asking that or even contemplating it but with my shoulder i have to be careful.

19. Magzire

Magzire New Member

I'm getting the exact same simcade vibe I got with pcars. That unnatural floaty feeling. I can feel road bumps etc but I can't feel the tires at all. The car pivots weird going into the apex, then powering out just jerks with weird oversteer. No feeling when locking up, can only tell by visual.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. Dean Ogurek

Dean Ogurek "Love the Simulation You're Dreaming In." AMS2 Club Member

Keep trying different settings guys, what you describe's not my experience. Some cars may currently exhibit odd behavior but, most should not if you find a good balance between Gain / LFB / FX. I feel the FFB is much better than Pcars2 at this point, no matter which magic custom profiles I've used. :confused::D

Not official, just my suggestions:
    • If all else fails, try deleting your controller-save file and start fresh.
    • Try reducing Gain below 100% if your wheel has enough power (to avoid signal-clipping).
    • Keep in mind that when raising LFB, it's useful to reduce Gain (and vice-versa). There may to be an optimal balance point for each wheel / user.
    • Use FX sparingly (or at zero) until you've achieved good results tuning Gain / LFB.

• Agree Agree x 2