1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm having trouble with understeer

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by eg01st, Apr 3, 2020.

1. eg01st

eg01st Member

Please tell me your opinions and experiences so far!

I just did a test in AMS1, AMS2 and rF2, driving MetalMoro AJR on Oulton Park (no chicanes).
    AMS1 and rF2 feel fairly similar. In rF2 my best time was 1:18.05 after a few laps, just for a benchmark. Then I switched to AMS1, did 4-5 laps and time was 1:16.something, with mistakes. AMS1 felt easier to drive, and also rF2 mod track had more bumps.
    AMS2 - impossible. In every fast corner car was understeering out into the grass, like the front wing was broken or it was a completely different car. Same speed, same gear, same line, but the front just would not stick.
    I did this because I felt it's impossible in AMS2 to load the front in the corners, with trailbraking etc.

In AMS1 you can see and feel car leaning on the front outer tyre, AMS2 is just flat and does not steer, like you would push an upside down table on the track and try to steer it...

This is not just one car. It's every car I tried. I always use default setups in all sims. How can there be such a difference in behaviour?

• Agree Agree x 11
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  2. eg01st

eg01st Member

@Shriukan how about elaborating on your opinion?

EDIT: Ok, I got it after second "Disagree". Only fanboys would act like 6 year old illiterates, not even being able to explain themselves.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2020
    • Dislike Dislike x 4
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
  3. mister dog

mister dog Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Can you post your wheel settings, both from your wheel'sdriver as from the FFB page ingame?

4. Andrew Caron

Andrew Caron New Member

I have the same issue. Trail braking doesn't seems to rotate the car. I have to downshift and tap the throttle to get the car to rotate

• Agree Agree x 5
  5. eg01st

eg01st Member

I don't see how it would explane cars massive oversteering...I have no problem with ffb. dfdffddf.jpg

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  6. Andrew Caron

Andrew Caron New Member

I would recommend turning the low force boost to 0. TS-PC is already a powerful enough wheel to not have issues with low forces

7. mister dog

Thanks I'm on a Fanatec but I have spring and damper off on wheel whilst you have everything on max there.

8. eg01st

eg01st Member

Offtopic, but I'm just testing the settings and changing them all the time.

9. eg01st

eg01st Member

It was supposed to be on 0%, I just noticed it myself. Maybe because I connected just the wheel to take a screenshot... Something has reset my settings, I will turn them all to 0 like it used to be all the time... Anyway, not the topic of the thread.

EDIT:
    It has to be 100% there as it is in the screenshot, otherwise I have 0 ffb in game.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2020
  10. mister dog

Nope but might be the cause.

11. eg01st

eg01st Member

How can ffb cause car to understeer? Did you read my original post?

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. mister dog

By having your spring and dampers on max in the driver, that would make any car steer like a truck. Anyway sorry for trying to help you out, good luck...

• Like Like x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  13. eg01st

eg01st Member

Disregard my ffb settings,that screenshot was taken after driving all 3 sims in a row, where only AMS2 behaved differently...
    I still don't understand why are we talking about wheel settings and how it impacts downforce in game.
    Anyway, thanks for the help. I will set back my TM settings to where they used to be.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Twinz

Twinz Member

The default setup on the Caterham seems a little understeery to me (only car I spent more than a minute in), but its behavior seems "believable" to me.

(I've driven kit-cars IRL that had similar balance at the limit)

15. eg01st

eg01st Member

I just played again, and if it's set to 0% I have no ffb at all. It has to be 100%. Something changed some time ago, maybe in TM update. I had it to 0%, but ffb was not working anymore. So I set all to 100% and it went back to normal. I just had forgotten about this change.

16. mister dog

Unfortunately I can't say for TM wheels, but I know overall the cars in this game feel pretty good on my end (if not great), so I figure if people experience this weird behavior it must be down to a combination of both things. Also normally the best thing is to have your max FFB on wheel (looks like that's called 'overall strength' to 100) and lower 'gain' ingame to your liking. Or that's what I've been told at least.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  17. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Free speech matters AMS2 Club Member

My question, could you feel the understeer? I'm really struggling to feel it, I can see it happening but not really feeling it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Free speech matters AMS2 Club Member

My question, could you feel the understeer? I'm really struggling to feel it, I can see it happening but not really feeling it.

19. eg01st

eg01st Member

Yes, there is no major problems with ffb for me. It's a bit different from AMS1 but I know what the car is doing. I'm still adjusting it, I watched Mike's video and following his advice of setting it up by adjusting low foce boost and FX.

20. Master Dee

Master Dee New Member

I just did a few multiplayer matches and trail-braking/general oversteer when required was alive and well - F3 and the um... the low power open wheel class (can't remember the name, but I'm calling it AMS2 Skippy)