1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

[Suggestion] VR Mirroring

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by MasterLooser, Apr 4, 2020.

1. MasterLooser

MasterLooser Greyhat DWORD Developer AMS2 Club Member

i would suggestion an option to completly disable the mirroring on ur normal desktop, this feature is only good for ppl streaming/recording or having someone watch you when standing next to you.

the rest of us will just have to render the whole game at their native display resolution, wasting resources that could be used to run higher/more stable frames in VR (or we could turn up the settings for a more clearer view in the hmd)

for the mirroring itself, i would like a smoothed camera view, i have seen this in other games but cant remember them from the top of my head right now, pretty sure it wasnt a racing sim, but essentially, it would smooth out the camera movement, so anyone watching (or recording/streaming) would not get all those micro movements/jittering of your head that you yourself dont notice.

2. KRoman47

KRoman47 New Member AMS2 Club Member

I've tried several titles with mirroring on and off but there was no difference - it's possible because the graphics just sends picture of one eye not just to the VR headset but also to the monitor, nothing else needs to be rendered.
    But when you turn the "head movement suppression" then it needs to be rendered separately and consumes quite some amount of performance - I've tried it in some VR titles already.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. MasterLooser

well i dont think its quite the same pipe, since the menu floats in 3dspace inside the hmd but is fixed to the mirror, also it does not look like its offset, how the image would look when just being reprojected from one eye.

the devs know best, and i do remember having quite a high performance boost in AC when downscaling the mirrored resolution compared to just running it in native res

4. Kevin del Campo

Kevin del Campo Active Member

Has anyone found a way to turn screen mirroring off yet in VR?

Not interested in performance gain specifically but from a G2 headtracking point of view.

5. MasterLooser

• Winner Winner x 1
  6. ControlLogix

ControlLogix Active Member

I went through this experiment years ago with PC2. I tried minimizing the resolution of the mirrored image on the monitor while in VR. I think I even managed to turn off the mirroring completely. I compared these two scenarios with the normal, full resolution mirroring and watched the performance of the rift using the oculus debug tool and was kind of shocked to see there was almost no performance difference between the different scenarios.

From this I could only assume that the mirroring doesn't really affect the VR performance too much and that the mirrored image must just be one of the eyes of the VR headset. So the GPU isn't really having to render the mirror separately.

I was thinking the same thing as you that disabling the mirroring must result in a huge VR performance boost, but it just simply did not make much difference at all to my surprise.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Troodon

Troodon Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Looks like this has been resolved already, but I would add that the mirroring lets me take off the headset and still do stuff in-game while taking a break from driving. For example, watching the replay of the last race or just keeping an eye on a lobby while doing something else.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1