1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Automobilista 2 Force Feedback - Overview & Recommendations

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Renato Simioni, Apr 4, 2020.

1. Stefano Villani

Stefano Villani New Member AMS2 Club Member

I think we need ffb clipping utility and pedals on hud...

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  2. C_Stephens

C_Stephens New Member AMS2 Club Member

OK looks like i must apologize, seems i was talking out of my arse. This morning i fired up my rig and my ghub software had updated. I had to reinstall my wheel because of it. So i fired up AMS2 to continue testing and decided to try damping at 0 and damping at 100. There felt no difference. I'm guessing earlier when i had heavy wheel and light wheel there must have been something amiss with how it was setup.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. buddhatree

buddhatree Member

First of all, spring and damper are artificial effects.

Second, we have Devs that recommend this: Devs from Studio 397 (for rF2) and now a Dev from Reiza telling us to set spring and damper to zero. It's not a myth but a recommended setting by game devs.

Sorry, but I will take advice from game devs over some random guy on a forum :)

• Agree Agree x 6
  4. RoccoTTS

RoccoTTS Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

And why do all wheel manufactures (Logitech and TM) use 100 damper and spring as default ?
    The question why the zeroing has been asked many times to the devs during the last month, never got any answer.
    Can you give us any confirmation from TM or Logitech to claim this ?

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  5. Leclettico

Leclettico Member

For T300 user
    @Renato Simioni

TEST

AMS v 0.8.0.2
    car: Stock V8
    circuit: Spielberg GP

20 total laps

5 laps with 0% Spring and 0% Dumping
    5 laps with 100% Spring and 100% Dumping
    5 laps with 0% Spring and 0% Dumping
    5 laps with 100% Spring and 100% Dumping
    (settings made in the Windows Control Panel of T300)

This repetitions were made to clear the "muscle memory" under testing.

NO DIFFERENCE AT ALL with or without spring and damping forces.

These are my Control settings in AMS2 (95% FFB strenght in the Windows Control Panel of the T300)

Desktop Screenshot 2020.04.05 - 15.11.48.09.jpg
    Desktop Screenshot 2020.04.05 - 15.12.00.27.jpg

I made a full calibration for pedals, even repeating the press and depress activities. The bars go only at 100 and remain "full bars" even if I get the pressure off the pedals.

At 236 km/h if I make a full pressure on brakes, AMS comunicate a sound of "fsssssshhhhh". There's no smoke from the tires but I think it's a sound that indicates a blocking.

The last patch has begun to fix the physics of some cars, but the general (provisional) feeling is so "arcadish". (Please, please, take this term with a grain of salt)
    The simulation has gaps. The braking, acceleration and mileage are mostly "silky". It's not about the strength of the FFB, but the definition of the road surface.
    The cars are on average "rubbery", and it's more evident as the lap limit increases.
    The more you get to the edge of the track, grip and car, the more the simulation "gets away" from the steering wheel.

Let's see how it goes. I'm with you.

Attached Files:

6. CrimsonEminence

CrimsonEminence Administrator Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

This can have several reasons, why it's recommended to leave those values zeroed.
    The reason, that it would "add" artificial effects, when the application doesn't even uses the channel, is indeed a myth. When the application sends a damping signal through the channel, it's most likely an artificial thing (the dampened wheel in Assetto Corsa, when standing still, for example), but when the game doesn't even utilize the pipeline, you will get absolutely no difference, because there is no feed.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. Marisa

Marisa Member AMS2 Club Member

The only time when setting damping in the driver does something is when the car stands still. As soon as you reach like 5km/h or so it turns the driver damping off. This means with damping set to on the engine vibrations won't cause oscillations and you get that sticky tyres feel, which is realistic. So correct me if I'm wrong but turning it off would only make sense if you want your wheel to go crazy in the garage and feel like the car is floating. Not sure if there even is a sim where setting damping in the driver has an effect when actually driving.

• Like Like x 1
  8. RoccoTTS

Exactly.
    The big reason why some devs recommend 0 for damping and spring is just simple "our game don't use it anyway". And if you only use games witch doesn't use these, you can leave it at 0.
    BUT, there are games like Raceroom and Dirt Rally 2.0 who already confirmed they use damping and it is recommended to set damping and spring to 100, otherwise their ffb doesn't work like intended.
    Conclusion : if you like most of us use many different racing games, just use the default setting witch is 100 for damping and spring.

• Agree Agree x 4
  9. CrimsonEminence

RaceRoom could've something like that, but i'm not exactly sure. It could be, that the added (recommended) damping is also just in the main mix. (R3E tends to oscillate very quickly, that's why indeed damping is helpful there with "stronger" wheels)

I think, older sims are using those extra channels like spring and damper. (GTR(2), GTL, Race07 should still use it, for example, i was being careful with my damper settings on a Logitech MOMO and G27)
    Also Codemasters titles are utilizing those channels, if i'm correct.
    This whole topic is causing a lot of confusion, even under the experienced guys, working with it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Cote Dazur

Cote Dazur Member

For what it is worth, without really realizing I had set damping to zero when originally setting the game, so I tried it at 100 today. I like it better at zero, damping adds some resistance to the wheel that makes it slower but also feel weird to me. To each his own, but I like mine better at zero.

11. CrimsonEminence

Which wheel and software?

Again: I'm not sure, it should make any difference at all. AMS2 is a modern foundation, that most likely shouldn't use the damping channel at all. I would love to see reliable data on that.
    There could be placebo around or external influence through wheel-software.

12. Cote Dazur

Cote Dazur Member

I am driving with a CSR Elite, I have damping on my wheel software at 100.
    I have it at zero in game.

13. CrimsonEminence

Uhm...you mean AMS2? There is no damper setting in AMS2.
    Or are we talking about R3E right now? Because there, i'm not sure, which channel gets the damper applied, so then nevermind, if its about R3E :D

14. Cheekymunkey78

Cheekymunkey78 New Member

I really hope they implement this.

15. Cote Dazur

Cote Dazur Member

It is called: controller damping.

16. RoccoTTS

It makes no difference for wheels, i just tested it. I'm pretty sure this is a setting for controllers/game pads just like Controller vibration.
    Quote from PC2 website :
    "Controller Damping
    If you’re using a gamepad, you can use this setting to control how quickly you can steer from extreme-to-extreme (or lock-to-lock). A lower value gives you a faster steering response: a higher value will give you a slower response."

edit : this is a good example how misinformation and confusion starts.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. CrimsonEminence

This is not even a FFB/Vibration related setting.
    This is for sensitivity of controllers, to cure overreaction on a stick. (something like the speed dependent steering lock on ISImotor titles).

I have also tested it right now, to be absolutely sure. (CSL) No influence on steering sensitivity or FFB at all.
    Noticing any difference is either placebo or your wheel is configurated as a generic joypad controller.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. Dean Ogurek

Dean Ogurek "Love the Simulation You're Dreaming In." AMS2 Club Member

My revised wheel settings for SimuCube1:
    Note: Direct Input Effects not used by AMS2.

SC1 Recon-Filter: 6 (was 8)
    SC1 Friction: 0.8%
    SC1 Damping: 1.5%

AMS2 FFB Gain: 35-40% (depending on car used)
    AMS2 LFB: 25% (was 50%)
    AMS FX: 23%

19. Cote Dazur

Cote Dazur Member

I agree and I am sorry to add to the confusion as I am just trying to help sharing my findings. As we wrote before, why are the devs, in a thread started by Reiza, not stepping it and set the record straight?

As I wrote above, I felt a difference (not huge but it was there) and stand by it, but it could be placebo, always hard to tell with placebo, the mind is a powerful thing.:D
    I am leaving it a zero anyway since I am not using a controller.

20. RWB.3vil

RWB.3vil Member

Raceroom experience has its own dampening setting which pulls from the driver settings so if set to off it cant add a percentage of game settings dampening from a 0 driver setting.