1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Automobilista 2 Force Feedback - Overview & Recommendations

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Renato Simioni, Apr 4, 2020.

1. MrGold

MrGold Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I think you are both right. You are discussing different things though. Ivysaur is dicsussing FFB update rates whereas Coanda is talking about Physics' updates.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. Marius H

Marius H Internal Beta Tester Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

Doh

3. Coanda

Coanda aahhh whinge whinge f@#ken whinge.. Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

I am not sure if I should do this and I don't now if the devs are even looking our feedback however here goes.. Not to come off like a d!ck, I have racked up 2,000 hours in AC/ACC and spent a couple of days dialing in my DD2 so I have a little idea of how sim racing and FFB works.. That said I like a light-medium feel, roughly in the 4 N.m to 9 N.m range.

Current Settings:

Gain = 55
    LFB = 20
    Fx = 5

FF = 36
    NDP = 5
    NFR = 2
    FEI = 80 or 90

I'll try and do my best here as it is not always easy relaying how FFB feels in words.. For the most part the vehicle feels connected to the track surface. There is surface detail without being overdone and unrealistic. There are moments when you loose this sense of connection however it does feel much better and a lot more predictable than PC2. Some cars do feel better than others and I tend to gravitate towards the 90's/00's formula, prototypes and I like the F3.

Unlike many, I do not overly like the V8SC or the Ultima GTR in it's current form which is a shame because I would like to race these cars a lot. For me they highlight something I do not like with the current FFB. When you push the tyre over the limit there is a sudden and extreme drop off in FFB and when you correct this and unload the tyre it's very notchy and square feeling on the rebound. This transition needs smoothing out. I also find the feeling of front tyre loading through a turn can come on abruptly. A little more graduation would be ideal.

In general under heavy braking even though you are not locking, during the trail braking phase, when you start to feed in steering angle the FFB can go a little light and because of this you loose feel which makes it difficult to gauge were the grip is. There can also be a lack of feel in the low speed phase however a little LFB has helped in this area.. I did not mind 0 LFB however the transition from light to med/heavy forces once again was not gradual or smooth. On some of the faster counter steer inputs there can be a sense of minor disconnect with the road surface.

The kerbs are well detailed, you really can feel them a lot and for consideration could maybe be toned down..

On excessive slip angles or power oversteer it is difficult to gauge where the grip or traction is as there is missing detail. That said you don't need a lot of detail. Just very fine detail to let you know whats coming.

Tyre flex could do with a little more detail..

I understand FFB is very subjective and hardware and setup varies a lot therefore I feel sorry for the devs sometime.. That said AMS2 is in a lot better state than I thought it would be and there is massive potential here..

4. Dean Ogurek

Dean Ogurek "Love the Simulation You're Dreaming In." AMS2 Club Member

I think you'll find the LFB acts (sort of) as a FFB-range setting. If you increase LFB and reduce Gain, the range of forces narrows and the resulting FFB becomes less extreme in contrasting effect levels. If LFB-20 gives you extreme spikes during cornering+suspension loading, increasing LFB will reduce that tendency when combined with lower Gain.

Both the SCV8 and Ultima GTR still have very strong FFB (along with the Sprint & Lancer, maybe more) so, those are extreme cases but, useful for testing the interaction of LFB / Gain.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. Wayne Whitmore

Wayne Whitmore Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Since 8.0.2 I can no longer get rid of the grainy feeling through my accuforce wheel even with major levels of smoothing. While vehicle handling has definitely improved and AI are much much better the grainy feeling now is a real distraction.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Coanda

thank you for the info.. I reset my gain to 50% (-5%) and LFB to 30% (+10%) and it was a positive step in the right direction for these two vehicles I mentioned. The notch/spike is there however less extreme. :)

• Like Like x 1
  7. Dean Ogurek

How much smoothing are you using?

For overall smoothing in SC4, I've used 200% with some titles (AC) but, you can also filter the game-FFB coming into SC4 as well. Also, consider adding some dampening. A good car to test with filtering may the MCR-2000 (P4).

8. Cheekymunkey78

Cheekymunkey78 New Member

Feeding back - No understeer feel on most cars.

v0.8.2.0 - deleted profile and started again (3 times due to gear shift issue).

I did manage to feel something :) with the Super v8. slight loss of grip feel through the wheel but was already in the skid for about 1.5 seconds. (Oulton Park, long left hander before hairpin, had to really push way beyond the limit to feel anything :) ).

Hope this helps development.

Cheeky x.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2020
  9. Marius H

With the Lancer RS if you take a fast corner you gradually feel the steer becoming less heavy when you oversteer a bit when mid-corner. I love it. :oops:

10. Cheekymunkey78

Cheekymunkey78 New Member

Update from above:

Just saw the post from cristian51 on another post so decided to load the Sim and just "recal" my wheel and pedals. I also adjusted my FFB Gain, Low and FX by 1 point each to make sure they updated with a new value.

Did the same test with the Super v8 and the understeer feel is there (loss of grip), it is weaker than I would like but is there and the 1.5 seconds delay is gone, instantly the car felt more alive.

From now on I'm going to do this:
    Update game,
    Delete Profile,
    Load and set-up with Calibration
    Run 1 lap
    Close Sim,
    Load and Calibrate wheel and Pedals and adjust FFB by 1 point each (so they update with new value)
    Race.

Might be pointless but it won't hurt and I am convinced I can feel a difference.

It does seem that some of the settings are not being save correctly sometimes, even if the values onscreen are saying the correct numbers.

Hope this helps,

Cheeky x.

• Useful Useful x 2
  11. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Internal Tester AMS2 Club Member

Wish there was some way to corroborate these settings.

12. Coanda

v0.8.2.0 has brought a very positive step for FFB all round.. The Super V8 feels much better and a lot more predictable. Even on could tyres it's not power oversteering and lighting up the rears as much and under heavy braking I can feel the grip better.

... the P2 & F3 feel really good. Nice one! :cool:

Unlike v0.8.1.0 the DD2 preset works. This time around custom does not work because when I try and map my steering even though I go in one direction it says there are multiple inputs. Lucky the preset works to get around this.

There is still an issue were I have to set my lock to 480 degrees to have a 1:1 relationship with the virtual wheel. Eventually I will turn off the virtual.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2020
  13. Rasmus Juel Andersen

Rasmus Juel Andersen New Member

Is anyone else having trouble with VR performance/look/clarity?

I have a Valve Index with 2080 and it looks really bad... I set the resolution of my desktop screen to 800x600 under the performance tab, and set everything else to med/high settings, because I guess high texture quality in the performance tab will also set the VR texture quality to high (correct me if i´m wrong on this).
    And then I also set supersampling to 1,5 in-game (maybe I should try SS through Steam-VR instead? - gonna try that tomorrow)

14. Marius H

https://forum.reizastudios.com/threads/vr-thread-for-beta-phase.8757/

Here you go, my new friend.

15. Wayne Whitmore

Wayne Whitmore Active Member AMS2 Club Member

@Dean Ogurek yes tried some more SC4 settings today max wheel and game filtering will not get rid of the grinding ball bearing sound and feeling. Some cars are worse than others Lancers are the best with moderate filtering sound and feeling was adequately supressed. VDUBs are really bad.

16. paddler

paddler Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Anybody has a T500RS? All i see are discussion and tips for Fanatec wheels

17. Leclettico

Leclettico Member

v0.8.2.0
    T300RS

Cattura.JPG
    Automobilista 2 Screenshot 2020.04.11 - 15.57.12.93.jpg Automobilista 2 Screenshot 2020.04.11 - 15.57.05.5411.jpg

Formula 3
    Oulton Park.
    If I overdrive and overbreake the car I may gain a lot of time, but the feeling is completely "arcadish".

The newest physics are much better, from all point of view.
    But the "arcadish backbone" of AMS2 is always here.

If I drive on Campogrande with any car, the aspahlt on straight is fully flat. On straights I don't have any bump. The roughness starts when I'm about to turn the steering wheel to set up a curve, and only then the asphalt come suddenly alive.
    On Campogrande you feel immediately this sensation.
    On other circuits, like Imola, the wheel rarely is on center for long time, and this this feeling may not manifest itself.
    In any case, the FFB feels rubbery. There are no "spike" in the FFB, a single blow, a snap.
    And the sounds of breaking and spinning are so "on/off", and the car at maximum velocity still sounds that "fffsssssh" when I brake powerfully, but the brakes shouldn't lock when you start braking if you hit them hard at high speeds.

Reiza, you're on the right track. I remain confident. :)

Last edited: Apr 11, 2020
  18. Dean Ogurek

I would try isolating effects where possible; Turn FX to zero and see if that helps. I suspect there may be a single effect that is causing some resonance issue. Also, check SimX forums for updates / tips. I don't have the AccuForce set up right now, otherwise I'd it test too.

Also, have you done a hard reset of AMS2 save-files?
    NOTE: Some say that Steam Cloud may interfere with the process and should be disabled first.

19. paddler

paddler Active Member AMS2 Club Member

thx!
    I will try yours. This is mey setting with standard in the TM panel. I am happy with it so far. A little rough since the last update. 36 34 53 3

20. SmaSy

SmaSy New Member AMS2 Club Member

I'm pretty sure your LFB (22) is set too low. As per the opening post:
    And I'm sure our beloved T300 falls on the weak range of Fanatec/Thrustmaster wheels, so I'd go at least with 60. I currently have it at 70 but still fiddling with it and the rest of parameters

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1