1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A Few Observations and Suggestions

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Andrew Hollom, Apr 11, 2020.

1. Andrew Hollom

Andrew Hollom Active Member

It took me a little while to adjust from being an almost exclusively rF2 user, but I'm really enjoying AMS 2 at the moment and generally prefer it to AMS, so the future is looking very good and I'm really looking forward to how the game develops in the coming months. However, I have a few questions and ideas that I'm sure you good folks in this forum can help me with.

A few questions:

1. What do the axis sensitivities do? If they alter the linearity of the axis in question, it would be nice to see the shape of its characteristic as its sensitivity is altered.
    2. What does "Controller Damping" and "Controller Vibration" do - is it only for gamepads?
    3. Why is "Traction Control" in the garage settings for all cars? I assume it only applies to cars that actually have TC?

And a few ideas:

1. It would be nice if pressing "Look Left" and "Look Right" at the same time looked back (I'm used to this from rFactor 2, and it saves having to waste a button just for "Look Back").
    2. When using the current means of requesting a pit stop (which is a bit vague - do you press left or right to make it happen?), there is no confirmation (Crew Chief doesn't say that a stop has been requested either). Sometimes the pit crew is waiting and other times not, and I don't know why or how to make them always be ready.
    3. The ability to map "Request Pit" to a button would be very useful.
    4. When "Request Pit" is selected, it would be useful to show the screen with the pit stop parameters for easy adjustment prior to making the stop.
    5. When exiting the garage, it would be nice if the pit limiter was on by default.
    6. The grass is what I would imagine driving through a swamp would be like. Surely it should just have reduced grip, especially when wet, and be slightly bumpier (it's like a ploughed field at the moment).
    7. When you finish an offline race, there is no indication that the race is over. A chequered flag or similar would be nice.
    8. After a race, all you can do is go back to the main screen, but it would be useful to be able to go into the garage to look at tyre wear, temperatures, etc.
    9. When you return to the garage during a session, the tyre temperatures are all the same, which I assume is due to this not being implemented.
    10. Regarding bug reporting, could we have some feedback from the developers regarding things we report, detailing whether it is a valid observation and if so what bug number has been assigned to it so we can see when it has been resolved from your release notes?

Many thanks.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. bobbie424242

bobbie424242 Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

"Controller Damping" and "Controller Vibration" is indeed only for gamepads

3. Wolfgang Herold

Wolfgang Herold I Like Liveries :) AMS2 Club Member

QUESTIONS
    TC/ABS/STABILITY settings apply dependend on your GAMEPLAY AUTHENCITY ASSISTS settings
    OFF - settings in setup do not apply
    AUTHENTIC - applies only to cars with that assist
    FULL - applies to every car
    i think, in later updates, entries and buttons will be disabled.
    IDEAS
    3. Request Pitstop mapping is in CONTROLS->EDIT ASSIGNMENTS->VEHICLE
    9. When going to garage, everyting like damage, temperatures, fuel etc is reset to default and also set dependend to your setup. There are external apps that can help.

hope this makes some things clearer

4. Andrew Hollom

Thanks Wolfgang for pointing out where Request Pitstop is, I hadn't noticed it!

Regarding assists, there are game assists that apply to all cars and there are car assists that apply to cars that in real life have those assists. So a car like a GT3 that has ABS and TC, or an MP4/8 that has TC and automatic shifting should still have these even when the game assists are turned off. The fact that the TC setting is in the garage setup implies, to me at least, that these are car settings rather than game settings. I have "Driving Assists Allowed" set to "Authentic", yet there is a "Traction Control" setting that can be adjusted in the "Vehicle Setup", even for a Formula Vintage (whether it does anything for this car, I don't know).

5. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Internal Tester AMS2 Club Member

It doesn't. All that stuff is placeholder and will get sorted-out (hopefully by release date).

6. Wolfgang Herold

Wolfgang Herold I Like Liveries :) AMS2 Club Member

yep. Thats why i wrote:
    Setting values on that buttons have only influence depending on authencity switch.
    Greying out and making them unusable should be enough.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Petrolhead

Petrolhead Member AMS2 Club Member

So your wanting a lot that's already in RF2 Off topic how do you do "It would be nice if pressing "Look Left" and "Look Right" at the same time looked back (I'm used to this from rFactor 2, and it saves having to waste a button just for "Look Back")."

For me this GAME (not SIM) is too much like PC2 and needs to be a lot more like FR2 that why I still prefer RF2.

8. KCW

KCW Member

The traction control and ABS settings are visible in the tuning menu whether you have them available or not. They simply do nothing if you dont have them enabled.

Use the rear view mirrow for looking back!!

RF2 is great, i love it, but this already has a few great things that RF2 doesnt have. I get exactly why you want those things, and it would be great to have the choice and make it more friendly to all.

9. F1Aussie

F1Aussie Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Can't say I miss rf2, haven't played it for a few months now, progress on it is painfully slow and it will probably be another couple of years before it changes much. By that time AMS2 will have well and truly surpassed it in every area.

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. Andrew Hollom

The authentic driver aids should only be visible in the garage settings for cars that actually have those aids. For users who want an easier time of it, then the game driver aids can be used, and these can be used whether the car they choose to drive has those aids or not.

I understand the concept of the rear view mirrors, but I'm sure you're not advocating the removal of the "Look Back" functionality - I just would like that functionality without having to bind a button to it. This would appear to be a pretty much zero cost option in terms of implementation.

I agree with you final comment!

11. Andrew Hollom

S397 do seem quite slow, but much as I like AMS, I prefer rF2, though AMS2 is hard for me to put down right now, and like you, I think it has great potential and will usurp rF2, even for die-hard rF2 fans like me.

• Like Like x 1
  12. KCW

KCW Member

No, im not saying remove it. If you want to look backwards then by all means, go for it ;) I have never found it worth using myself, but i only race in VR anyway, so mirrors are no issue.

As for the settings being in the tuning menu for ABS and TC on cars that dont have it, even when you have it turned off, WHO CARES!!!! IT DOES NOTHING IF YOU HAVE THEM TURNED OFF ANYWAY!!! No one says you have to adjust them or even look at them, set your options to force realistic driver aids and ignore those settings. So simple i am rather confused as to why it is even being brought up as an issue ;)

13. Andrew Hollom

I think there's some confusion going on here regarding game driver aids, which are for people who want something a bit more arcadey, or who use a game pad and so needs them, and car driver aids, which are in the real car and so cannot be turned off. Game driver aids should not be in the garage settings, they should be in the game settings. Car driver aids, for cars that have them in real life, should be in the garage settings, and can only be turned off if the real-life car in question allowed it.

Imagine it as two worlds, the game world that can include weird things like steering help, and the real world that reflects what would be allowed in real life. For example, a GT3 would allow TC and ABS in its garage settings, but a GTE would only allow TC, but if you wanted something akin to ABS in the GTE, then you could turn on the game's anti-lock system. So simple really;).

14. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Internal Tester AMS2 Club Member

It is simple and it is already there that way (e.g., there is no steering help in the set-up screen area). The only issue is that the inappropriate (not realistic) set-up items have not all been greyed-out yet due to the same reason at least 50% of everything else in the UI is still placeholder. Check on v1 release day :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. KCW

KCW Member

Exactly ;)

they can be forced off in any car regardless of any other setting.

I host a lot on PC2 and never lock those settings out, not everyone has the equipment or the skill to drive well without them, and allowing them on if desired or required goes a little toward helping cleaner closer races.