1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FPS Lock

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by KubaXman, Apr 13, 2020.

1. KubaXman

KubaXman New Member

I wonder if there is an option to lock fps at some level. I have got only 60Hz screen and my game is going somewhere between 140 to 180 FPS. I don't want to use V-Sync because of lag it produces.
    Have you got any idea if locking FPS is possible by editing some config files?

2. CreamyCornCob

CreamyCornCob Member

You and I are in the same boat, hardware is 10X that of the pathetic 60hz panel, thats changing in a couple of weeks.

The vsync lag isn't to bad in AMS but yeah.
    You can cap your frames to 60 in the Nvidia control panel and turn vsync off. Haven't tried it yet. Did it all the time in AC. But also just let content manager do it instead and it was butter, as good as 1:1 60hz butter you can get.:D

@Renato Simioni or @Heitor Facuri Cicoti - capping frames would be a fantastic thing to implement (fingers crossed) for us and many that are stuck at 60hz, instead of having the mediocre lag in vsync.
    cheers

3. KubaXman

KubaXman New Member

Yeah, I'm going to change my screen for 21:9 high refreshing screen after all this COVID-19 situation will calm down.

4. F1Aussie

F1Aussie Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

There are a number of options, vsync, fps limiters like fps monitor, afterburner as it is bundled with rtss I think it is called.
    I was using afterburner but bought fps monitor for $15aud I think it was I like it as it has a number of other cool functions.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. David Wright

David Wright Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I think some have reported that the PC2 steam startup parameter works.

Steam Startup parameters (right click AMS2/Properties/Set Launch Options - Multiple strings separated by a single space):

-fpscap 60

or whatever number you prefer.

6. CreamyCornCob

CreamyCornCob Member

Doesn't quite work. -fpscap60 in the string, turned off vsync, restarted. Then test: 57fps below.
    (So for kicks, changed 60 to 63 to try to equal 60fps making up the difference, and it bounces between 60-61 causing stutters.)
    This is why it would be ideal if there was a hard cap in-game. To just put the confusion away with Nvidia capping, steam capping or what have you from the start.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  7. Chin

Chin Member AMS2 Club Member

There is a hard cap... I set it to 41 as a test and never saw anything over 40. A cap isn't a clamp.

8. CreamyCornCob

CreamyCornCob Member

Well you saw I put the cap at 60 and in the screenshot its 57 so it isn't perfect.

Again, another reason to have this in-game cap as early as possible to nip in the bud all the endless questions that will come of this topic of Nvidia, vsync, Steam cap or some third party cap programs.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Supa

Supa Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Not sure what you're on about as my monitors seem to be capped at 75hz refresh rate. Vsyn off etc but Im using freesyn on nvidia. Seems my FPS are capped and I cant seem to figure out why!

10. CreamyCornCob

CreamyCornCob Member

You're not sure whats being talked about?

Thats nice about your freesync and capped @ 75hz, but if your 60hz (or any frequency) monitor doesn't have a display port and only USB, you can't enable freesync through Nvidias panel.

Another reason, along with the others above, to have it in-game.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2020
  11. mike reynolds

mike reynolds New Member

I’m struggling with this aspect of the game. I have a 60hz monitor and sometimes suffer from terrible screen tearing and stuttering. It’s weird as it sometimes I have it, other times it’s fine. Tried v-sync on/off...start up -fpscap63...adaptive vsync and application controlled in nvidia panel. Can’t find a setting that consistently works but it can be unplayable...so I restart the game and it’s fine...odd.

12. Juan Reinoso

Juan Reinoso Doctor SimRacing AMS2 Club Member

If you use "-fpscap":

ActualFPS=RequestFPS*(0.927710843)

• Informative Informative x 1
  13. bobbie424242

bobbie424242 Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

If you want the best fps cap just use RTSS. If you configure to 60, it will be rock stable 60 with rock consistent framepacing. It just adds 1 frame of latency.
    In-game fps caps can fluctuate a bit but usually have the best latency (assuming they are not doing anything stupid). Fluctuating framerate is not a problem on a VRR monitor.

14. CreamyCornCob

CreamyCornCob Member

What is RTSS again?
    This is Content Manager (custom launcher for AC for those that dont know) and you can see the cap, and with that, there is zero fluctuation, not even a tenth. So those people without a VRR monitor (myself) have no issue with fluctuations because there are none in the launcher or the non VRR monitor.

And this is kinda making the point earlier, here just in this thread theres a handful fixes and not a one fits them all.

RTSS | freesync | Nvidia frame cap | vsync | fps monitor | Steam cap
    This is the mess that could be avoided in the beginning by having it in-game.
    If it works perfect here in CM below, rock steady at 60 never wavering a tenth, it can be done in AMS2 without fluctuations.
    [​IMG]

15. Chin

Chin Member AMS2 Club Member

So make it 63, as it appears to have a scale factor based on the earlier post. Again, this isn't a clamp, it is a limit. A little research shows that 62.8 was the sweet spot for 60Hz monitors with PCARS.

Again, this is already in the game, you are using it.

16. CreamyCornCob

CreamyCornCob Member

Already mentioned I did 63:
    "(So for kicks, changed 60 to 63 to try to equal 60fps making up the difference, and it bounces between 60-61 causing stutters.)"

I'll give the 62.8 a try instead of 63. But as you can see from everything in this thread, this is going to come up over and over for years by anyone with stuttering / tearing issues.
    One solution by having it in-game, agree? :D
    Or explain to those that have the issue, "you need to set your Steam cap to 2.8hz more than your monitor - dont ask why" :D
    cheers

17. CreamyCornCob

CreamyCornCob Member

@Chin 62.8, still tearing. Worse in person, compression clears it up a bit.

18. bobbie424242

bobbie424242 Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

RTSS is RivaTuner Statistics Server. It is bundled with MSI Afterburner. It can probably be installed separately. IMHO, it's the best tool to cap framerate for any game consistently and with impeccable constant frametimes. And its OSD can be useful to monitor game performance (CPU and GPU).
    Though if you just need to cap framerate to your monitor refresh rate, this is probably overkill, and I'd just enable vsync.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. CreamyCornCob

CreamyCornCob Member

Running Afterburner here and Riva. Didn't know about the limiter in the tuner.
    So after everything in this thread, your solution is the only one that's worked ;)

No Steam cap no nothing(none worked), just 60frames in RivaTuner, vsync off (no lag) in game and zero stutters/tearing. Now just put this in-game and call it good :D
    Never crepped over 60 like others:
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2