1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Steering Linearity

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Andrew Holmes, Apr 2, 2020.

1. Andrew Holmes

Andrew Holmes New Member

Hi guys.
    Very promising sim. Finding the steering too linear. Maybe a slider to adjust?
    Thanks.

2. Andrew Holmes

Andrew Holmes New Member

To clarify. There should be a growing resistance and hence a feel of reduced effective turn. Now its just 'linear'.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Dean Ogurek

Dean Ogurek "Love the Simulation You're Dreaming In." AMS2 Club Member

So, you are saying that the FFB is linear - correct?

Please share your settings for AMS2 FFB.

• Like Like x 1
  4. SBart_uk

SBart_uk New Member

It seems to me that at the 50% steering sensitivity default most of the turning happens after 75% of wheel rotation. I changed it to 100% sensitivity and now it actually seems linear and it transformed the game for me from a constant battle against understeer to something that actually feels pretty good.

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. Marius H

Marius H Internal Beta Tester Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

Dom said never to touch the sensivity sliders back begin March. :p

6. sampopel

sampopel Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Just to chip in from a non-steering wheel user point of view - I find that too much of the steering happens immediately after about the first 20% of movement on an Xbox360 controller. It's gentle, gentle, then suddenly a lurch to the side - driveable but not fun. It just feels a bit off.

I suspect part of that is hang-over from the PCars2 physics because I also detect some unpleasantness in the steering, specifically the tyres losing grip/screetching and sliding at conspicuous moments whilst going around virtually every corner, a sensation that is exactly the same as in PCars2 and not present in any other sim I've raced using a controller, including AMS1.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Dean Ogurek

Dean Ogurek "Love the Simulation You're Dreaming In." AMS2 Club Member

It sounds as though you may have a calibration issue or some issue with the controller save-file. Steering Sensitivity should be set to 50% (linear) default.

I suggest re-calibrating your wheel. If that doesn't solve it, you can reset the controller profile by using "Reset to Default Settings" and setup controls again. In the event that doesn't work, you can delete your save-files and start over completely.

Navigate to: Documents / Automobilista2 / savegame / 9052224 / automobilista 2 / profiles (Delete save-files in this folder)

Then run AMS2 and setup the game again.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Haris1977

Haris1977 Active Member

I ve seen the exact opposite on my g27 wheel.

Too much of the steering happens between 0-20 or 25 degrees, and after that not so much.
    I other words i feel that linearity is awkard and wheel turning dependant. And yes i ve recalibrated/reset to defaults my wheel etc etc. Thats why i still havent find the perfect wheel setup.

I use 570 dor with 42 sensitivity (as a base for all cars) and i change the steering lock for every car (in garage - setup menu)

In AM1 there was not such a prob.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2020
  9. Wolfgang Herold

Wolfgang Herold I Like Liveries :) AMS2 Club Member

did you try 900 and sensitivity 50 ?
    Maybe then the game works as intended by the devs ;)

• Like Like x 1
  10. Goffik

Goffik Well-Known Member

I was curious after reading this thread, so I decided to try 100 steering sensitivity as well. It felt precisely no different at all to me. Then I went back into the settings screen and found the sensitivity was back at 50. I changed it again, and as I exited the settings screen I even saw it jump back to 50 just before the screen changed. So I can't physically change that setting when using my T300 even if I want to.

I'm not bothered because I'm not having steering issues, though I am curious as to how you guys are getting that setting to work at all with your wheels?

Oh, and I used exterior views to have a look at what the wheels are doing when I move my steering wheel. Not exactly scientific, but from what I can see the wheels are moving 100% linearly with my steering, just as they should.

• Informative Informative x 1
  11. KCW

KCW Member

Mine are too with a Fanatec on one PC and a Logitech on another.

They need to delete the defaultcontrollersettings file or whatever it is called in their Documents AMS2 folder and set it all up again correctly.

12. Haris1977

Haris1977 Active Member

Yes. The first try when i created my fresh 900 dor profile was with 50 sensitivity with same (poor) results.The cars i m having problems are the v8’s and the karts. V8’s virtual steering lock (the steering lock of the ingame wheel) is only 220 deg which is wrong and the reason why this car is so twitchy. In the edit menu the steering lock is grayed too (for both v8's and karts) so no chance with it.

Ps1: The same happens with karts. So those cars are undrivable for me
    Ps2: The only way to play with v8s and karts is to lower the wheel sensitivity value. Smth which definetely is not right and impractical too

Last edited: Apr 15, 2020
  13. steve montuno

steve montuno Member

It will reset back to 50% with slider ,,,,although if you dont use the slider and instead set it with the > it will save no probs,,,,
    ive had it on 100% for a while and it feels goood so left it ,,,,maybe i'll have to try it on 50 again at some point .

14. Haris1977

Haris1977 Active Member

I surelly dont understand how this sensitivity works for the majority of you guys.

What is the in game "virtual" DOR for the v8's? Can you check it? Cause mine is 220-230 degrees (220 degrees from the center to far right or left). I ve heard others saying that is 450 or even higher

15. NuScorpii

NuScorpii Well-Known Member

I think you misunderstood what the poster said in the other thread. The total degrees of rotation for the SuperV8 is ~450 deg so 220-230 deg from centre is correct.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. KCW

KCW Member

Theyre around 360-540 in real life, and probably a fair bit closer to 420-480

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. KCW

KCW Member

Sorry mate missed your post before i started mine!!

Yep, what you said!! :)

• Like Like x 1
  18. Haris1977

Haris1977 Active Member

Ok we say the same thing:p

But i have a question: You play this car with 450 virtual dor and 50 linearity (which means that your wheel is 1:1) and is not twitchy as hell?

19. NuScorpii

NuScorpii Well-Known Member

I actually set my max to 400 dor, and after calibration wheel rotation matches in game. (Virtual dor is now limited to 400) Linearity is set to 50. It feels fine, not twitchy.

I tried setting my dor to 900 in the wheel driver and recalibrating in game. The game then sets the dor to 450 for this car, rotation still matches 1:1, and I still don't find it twitchy.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Haris1977

Haris1977 Active Member

The strange thing is that i do get my wheel to work as 1:1. That 's not my problem.

For this specific car (karts too) the in game setup (edit car) steering option is greyed out so i cant tweak it. As it is now - for my taste - this is snappy.

@NuScorpii do you find not snappy karts too? Their dor is 180 if i remember correctly

Last edited: Apr 15, 2020