1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I hope they are going to ditch some of the stupid PC2 rules!!

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Petrolhead, Apr 13, 2020.

1. Petrolhead

Petrolhead Member AMS2 Club Member

What I hated about PC2 is still in AMS2, to a degree, and will be the one thing that will kill the game for me if that dont change it

Its the off track rules ie even when you have two wheels on the track you can sometimes be penalised.

The other is when practising of qually and you make a mistake near the end of the lap that lap and the next lap are discounted, bloody annoying and does not happen in real life racing (Well certainly not F1)

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Mhad

Mhad Active Member AMS2 Club Member

3. KCW

KCW Member

It is significantly less liberal than PC2, buy a long way.

If you get a penalty in AMS2, you mustve been a fair way off track in my experience so far.

• Agree Agree x 4
  4. Goffik

Goffik Well-Known Member

It does need work though. For one thing, this kind of penalty should only be possible in the last corner, before the run to the finish line. Also, it needs to be better defined. For example, I screw up my braking and slide straight on instead of taking the Esses at Donninton National. I have to stop, reverse, and get back on track... clearly no advantage gained yet my next lap is still void.

• Agree Agree x 11
    • Like Like x 2
  5. Gordie

Gordie Active Member

I find the track cuts to be pretty good tbh. Agree that certain penalties require some work but for the most part it's decent. Crossing of the pit blend lines is a nice touch too and seems fairly accurate.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Scoops

Scoops Member

My experience is that it’s been ok but perhaps on the harsh side at times. At the end of the day you have to draw an arbitrary line and that will be too strict for some and too lenient for others.
    So on the not statistically pole of posts in this thread so far AMS 2 has it about right?

7. Gordie

Gordie Active Member

I haven't seen any other complaints regarding track limits other than this thread so statistically it seems fine, so far ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  8. Goffik

Goffik Well-Known Member

Agreed, it's certainly not a major area that needs serious work. Just a few minor tweaks when they're done with the far more important things.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  9. SaxOhare

SaxOhare Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

the off track rules are to liberal, or perhaps not working correctly now,
    In every online lobby i think they are off, you can cut every corner, or make them round by going way over the line, only if i try to shortcut i get a warning.
    I can learn where the track limits are, but if they are so liberate the fastest line is not always on the track and i have to relearn the fast (not always on track) lines

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  10. Goffik

Goffik Well-Known Member

I'd stick to the proper lines, myself. No sense picking up bad habits which could well be patched out of the game eventually. People tend to respect drivers that drive properly too, rather than quasi-cheat their way to victory.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. SaxOhare

SaxOhare Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

That's why i want proper track limits, I don't think Pcars2 limits are that bad, I like them more then i do like the limits we have now in AMS2. Those quasi-cheat lap-times are recorded as soon as the Time-trial option get active, It's better to take the limits a little stricter at start, and calibrate later

12. KCW

KCW Member

You cant be serious.....

13. John Hargreaves

John Hargreaves Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Guy's got a right to his opinion, maybe he keeps his car on the track :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Maser V6

Maser V6 Assume nothing._ Verify everything._Have fun AMS2 Club Member

IT Should more than it does in Real F1
    What would be nice in real F1 would be if instead of Stewards,Race Director, would be Sensors on track to make the decision of who infringed track limits rather than what colour car your in was esp in practice. Red, Silver, Etc.
    Why should any car gain advantage either in sim or real racing? In these sims I just go back to pits 1 warmup then fast lap again, yes it is a pain but I was the one who went wide, too deep etc
    Sim could warn your first infringement as in Le man, Correct me if I am wrong.

15. Maser V6

Maser V6 Assume nothing._ Verify everything._Have fun AMS2 Club Member

Still early days to fine tune ams2

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. Scoops

Scoops Member

Nobody exceeds track limits at Monaco? Or at least nobody gets away with it!

So why would a penalty be seen as draconian. Odd how we look at things differently ?

• Like Like x 1
  17. NuScorpii

NuScorpii Well-Known Member

Usually going off track is the penalty. Dirty tyres, loss of traction, not the ideal line, etc. There are cases where there is no loss or even an advantage by being able to carry more speed, and these are the areas where penalties are applied in real life racing. (Cutting a corner is always an advantage and so should be a penalty.) In sim racing it is just easier to use the actual track limits especially for Time Trials. If you have to start analysing a track for which areas you are allowed to exceed the limits by a little bit it starts to become a lot of work. How much can you exceed by, and for how long, etc?

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Remco Majoor

Remco Majoor TCLF AMS2 Club Member

I've got a very simple and easy to use Idea.

Racing rules: 2 wheels on racing surface (kerb and grey stuff). Anything over is off-track. Everywhere where you get onto the grass/gravel, doesn't really matter, but with asphalt or astro turf, it's a track limit. Then put track limits at the obvious "you can full throttle cut a track here" places.

This way everyone instantly knows where the track limits are at a track, you can't just cut, you wont gain time if you run wide, but also won't instantly get a slow down if you get on the grass.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Goffik

Goffik Well-Known Member

The trouble is that the simpler a system is, the less realistic it is too.

What happens if you're side by side and get nudged over the track limit boundary? Penalised. What happens if you momentarily lose control and accidentally go over the line? Penalised. What happens if you use the grass to overtake a car performing a legitimate defence manoeuvre? No penalty because it's grass and you supposedly can't gain an advantage by using it. Etc etc.

Unfortunately, track limits and the breaking of them is not a black & white issue, which is why no sim ever gets it 100% right.

• Agree Agree x 4
  20. Remco Majoor

Remco Majoor TCLF AMS2 Club Member

That is the next step. What happens when you get over a track limit? This is the thing that is more difficult. Let me just share a few ideas.

For your first one, if you get hit and you run wide, it's usually at turn out. There are hardly any contacts at the turn out, that are the outside cars fault (those usually occur at or before the apex). The sim could register the contact and if it's in a certain time span before going off track at the outside, it doesn't give you a penalty (of course there are way more ways of implementing something like this, this is just an example).

If you lose control and go over, can be seen that you would get penalised as well if there was grass. Otherwise it can be dealt with just like in rF2. One cut doesn't instantly give you a slow down or a penalty(the same way an illegal pit exit doesnt in AMS2 even though it should). The amount of track limits allowed was set by the server (usually depends on the length of the race). This is used in 24 hour races too. 24 hours of Lemans usually has 4 track limits and the next one is a drive trough. No buts or ifs, no "yeah but I got hit", going over the limit is a track cut. There are 2 turns where you can very easily get a track limit (out of porsche curves and going onto the long straight). Everyone complained at first, yet hardly anyone ever gets that penalty. It just works. You can make a mistake a few times, but that's your own risk you're taking. Getting pushed wide (even in multiclass racing) doesn't happen that often.

Your next point I already talked about. so I'll quote it. "Then put track limits at the obvious "you can full throttle cut a track here" places." Which could just mean instant drive through/slow down. Then again, in rF2 that doesn't exist either, and it's not a problem.

Track limits will never be perfect, but everyone is in the same boat. **** happens, if you want everything properly policed, drive leagues.

• Winner Winner x 1