1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I hope they are going to ditch some of the stupid PC2 rules!!

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Petrolhead, Apr 13, 2020.

1. KCW

KCW Member

No one is preventing that, i am simply questioning the sincerity of it ;)

because lets face it, putting two wheels up up the ripple strip on some corners of some tracks is exactly what we should be hit with a 2 second penalty for... said no one ever!!
    Well that isnt strictly true... turn one for example... two wheels on the ripple strip can get you pinged in some cars, without even going over it.

Or is this what you are saying?

2. Maser V6

Maser V6 Assume nothing._ Verify everything._Have fun AMS2 Club Member

Good point.
    classed as 'racing incident' F1?

3. CreamyCornCob

CreamyCornCob Member

Its beyond annoying. A rear tire going only the width of the tire over a white line exiting a corner and your times scrapped is stupid. Theres NO gain of position, time or advantage. Its like this everywhere.

And don't bring up F1, you will never see a rear tire go over a line only by the width of the tire and the stewards yank his lap or give him a drive thru. Yes, theres been times per track where they changed limits but oddly, its only for said corner, not the other ones you can go over.

The limits in AMS2 needs to be fixed.
    Or just put armco all the way around the track limits :rolleyes:

4. Remco Majoor

Remco Majoor TCLF AMS2 Club Member

Tell that to Grosjean at hungary 2013

5. CreamyCornCob

CreamyCornCob Member

Could care less what happened 2,550 days ago, and that was the exception.

6. Sampo

Sampo Member AMS2 Club Member

How about checking for any tyre being on track for a set amount of time? On track meaning on a material that's determined to be a driving surface. So, for example, you're penalized after none of your tyres have been on a driving surface for 1 second. If you're slowing down within that period, don't penalize. And a collision with another car for a set amount of time before going off nullifying that penalty. Yeah, it's difficult to determine when to penalize. :)

Last edited: Apr 16, 2020
  7. TekNeil

TekNeil Take me back to the 2.4l, twin 50 weber days...

The issue is mainly the variance in situations IMO. You can tighten/loosen the actual boundaries as much as you like, that will never please all people, all of the time. But somewhere acceptable for most should be possible, which can then be learnt.
    The real work is in how you deal with the different off track situations that are beyond those boundaries.
    Must be a mind numbing amount of calculation to get something variable enough to be anywhere near realistic.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Sampo

Sampo Member AMS2 Club Member

Actually, I would welcome a mode that would just drop your speed for a second when all tyres are outside the driving surface. Without human judges, that might be the most fair thing to do. Not very simmy though :)

• Disagree Disagree x 3
  9. ttb57

ttb57 New Member

I can't believe I get pinged on an outlap, ending up in the gravel and lose the next two lap times......:rolleyes:
    Was at BH Indy.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. KCW

KCW Member

Well not in rFactor 2 ;)
    Yeah, not very simmy at all!! Imagine how quick you would get annoyed with that though, especially if it was due to you having a moment and going for a little slide.
    Yeah mate its ridiculous when that occurs, but i guess at the end of the day, you know your tyres will be warm by the time they bother looking at your lap time!!

11. Remco Majoor

Remco Majoor TCLF AMS2 Club Member

Of course when you get proven wrong, you couldn't* care less. Italy 2019 had both their lap and next lap gone if you went 4 wheels over. So yes, it's definitely a thing IRL as well.

I suggest that instead of you just saying what you don't like and saying valueless statements like "it's stupid", tell them how you would like to see it and why. That is something the devs can do something with.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. MarcG

MarcG Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

For me Cut Detections need to be on a per track basis and to follow the simple "baseball" rule;
    - 3 Strikes and then a Pit Lane Penalty
    - 3 further strikes in the same race and a Stop & Go Penalty
    - 3 more strikes and it's Black Flag game over!

(Number of strikes highly dependant on individual race scenario)

The trouble with that is the driver coming back onto the racing line and potentially causing an incident at his slower speed, personally for that (and other reasons) I'm against any artificial effects on the car.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. F1Aussie

F1Aussie Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Well they don't always get it right all the time in real life either.

14. Maser V6

Maser V6 Assume nothing._ Verify everything._Have fun AMS2 Club Member

For myself, If I receive a penalty its usually my fault for not being/driving with accuracy, I do not recall but will check this evening if an Ai or opponent forces me off did I get a penalty?
    I think I have only had penalties without the assistance of an opponent being in the same space.
    I will check.

Track limits are what they are limits, I have watch many fi and other races as Im sure we all have but more so in recent F1 history I have wished for a barrier on certain corners to stop drivers exceeding the clear limit (4 wheels off track lap after lap hence the need for sensors)
    Defined limits such as the barriers at Monaco with make you a more accurate driver to a greater or lesser degree and faster if the skill is there, theres no reward in not finishing a race by being to keen or clumsy as many real and sim drivers have found many times (myself included of course)
    To put in a fast lap or win there can only be achieved by respect and knowing the Track Limits.
    Just my thoughts, but the issue comes up in real life every season!!. Apart from Monaco!

Last edited: Apr 16, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Marius H

Marius H Internal Beta Tester Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

I think iRacing rules will do fine. Also having a timer when you need to slow down.

16. vortex

vortex Member

BH seems to have some odd track limits. I’ve been penalised a number of times for having just 2 wheels off track (confirmed in the replay). Also, why should going off track at the start of the final sector invalidate the whole of the next lap?

17. NuScorpii

NuScorpii Well-Known Member

I expect it is done on the basis that an off track in one sector invalidates the next sector. You can't have a valid lap with an invalid sector, so the whole lap is invalidated. The reason that it is for the whole of the final sector is probably because otherwise you would have to analyse each track to determine at which point a track cut will no longer gain you an advantage in the next lap. It's just easier to use the whole of S3.

18. vortex

vortex Member

I agree for the lap you’re currently on, but it’s very annoying if the next lap is your last chance to set a good time in qualifying and suddenly you’re told the time won’t count.

19. NuScorpii

NuScorpii Well-Known Member

There needs to be some type of system in place otherwise it is open to abuse. It may be annoying but it is effective.

• Agree Agree x 3
  20. Lexx VR

Lexx VR Member

I’ve found that if you do run wide on exit, you can avoid the dreaded “slow down” warning ding which makes you give back the time it thinks you gained:

Rather than accelerating to merge with as much speed as possible back onto the track, try to merge back as soon as possible onto the racing surface.

I think the system looks at your speed delta when back on vs when you went off, probably combined with the distance/time skipped of driveable track.