1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VR Discussions, Questions & Feedback

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Heitor Facuri Cicoti, Apr 5, 2020.

1. Kevin39

Kevin39 New Member

Gave this a shot but if I try to assign it while in VR it freezes up, and if I try to assign it in single screen mode it doesn’t seem to remember the assignment when I go back to VR mode.

It’s early access. I think I’ll just wait for next week’s update and try again

2. charsemnome

charsemnome New Member

Thank you for your reply, mine is i7 9750H, but I am not sure if the processor will make any difference in this case, it's more about the GPU, right?

3. Goffik

Goffik Well-Known Member

Not necessarily. VR can be very CPU heavy as well, and that can and does affect framerates in many cases.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Alegunner68

Alegunner68 Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

That's odd, it works fine for me. It won't remember from single screen mode because it's a different settings profile.
    Just remembered it happened to me a while back and what worked first was I re centred in WMR and then in steamvr.

5. Kevin39

Kevin39 New Member

I’m really new to VR, got it Wednesday night. Haven’t even figured out how to recenter WMR or SteamVR yet so that could be a big part of my problem.

6. Alegunner68

There's plenty of guides online that will explain it way better than I can.

7. farcar

farcar Well-Known Member

I'm a pretty new VR user (Rift S). How does everyone navigate menus with their headests on?
    I'm using the target reticle, but still need to press enter on my keyboard to select, as I can't find anywhere to map it on my wheel.
    Thanks, if anyone can help.

8. chris cadby

chris cadby Member AMS2 Club Member

On my rift s some tracks run well, others like Monaco run really badly, especially when coming through the tunnel area. I've noticed a lot of fences on all track seem to be shimmering and the shadows are strange. Can someone recommend the best settings for my rig?, Cheers. Currently running msaa at medium settings with supersampling left at 1.0. also my monitor is 1440p 144hz, should I lower the screen to the lowest possible resolution to increase frame rate in the rift?, Or does it even affect the rift?

Gpu: power colour 5700xt red dragon
    Cpu: Ryzen 5 3600
    Motherboard: b450 gaming plus max
    Ram: 16gb ddr4
    Ssd
    PSU: 650w gold plus corsair

Last edited: Apr 20, 2020
  9. Alegunner68

I turned that off, it was annoying. What wheel have you got? I use the funky switch on mine, I use the mouse as well but it was hit and miss if it always worked until I taped over the sensor inside my headset.

10. NuScorpii

NuScorpii Well-Known Member

I use JoyToKey to map buttons to on my steering wheel to the keyboard keys to navigate the UI (arrow keys, enter, tab, backspace, esc...)

11. Stevie777

Stevie777 New Member

Some tracks run better than others as do some cars. As many other VR games AMS2 also requires a combination of a good GPU and CPU. MSAA helps a lot with the shimmering but at a cost in FPS. I have the CV1 and run almost everything on low with LOW MSAA and textures on high ( my GPU has plenty RAM)
    I stopped using 1.5 SS in favour of the sharpening tool.
    You can find the sharpeingsettings in graphicsconfigoculusdx11.xml, located in My Documents/Automobilista2

These are the settings i use:

<prop name="SharpeningStrength" sharpeningstrength="1.300000" />
    <prop name="SharpeningClamp" sharpeningclamp="0.045000" />
    <prop name="OffsetBias" offsetbias="1.030000" />
    </data>

• Informative Informative x 1
  12. Goffik

Goffik Well-Known Member

This is because of the level of track detail more than your settings. Most tracks are surrounded by grass and trees which isn't too challenging to render. Monaco is surrounded by buildings which is much, much more performance hungry.

So even if the game runs smoothly at most other tracks, don't be surprised if you need to drop your settings whenever you use Monaco or other detailed city tracks. I'd rather do that than sacrifice quality across the board unnecessarily.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Ciccina2016

Ciccina2016 Member AMS2 Club Member

I tried yesterday an offline race with 29 AI and rain.
    80 FPS FLAT with SS 1.5.

While playing I was raging inside thinking about all the time wasted in other sims to get to a performance like this

Last edited: Apr 20, 2020
  14. chris cadby

Im hoping it will also get optimised more, as i see in the patch notes that certain tracks have "art passes" on them, so hopefully they can get monaco running better. I have a 1440p 144hz monitor, should i change that to the lowest resolution possible to help my fps in rift?

15. Goffik

Goffik Well-Known Member

It's certainly worth a try, yes. To be honest, the performance loss caused by mirrored views on monitors is generally quite low. Most of the time it's just sending a cropped version of the image it's already rendered for your headset to your monitor, not drawing the whole thing from scratch twice. But making that cropped version smaller may well net you a few extra fps.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. chris cadby

ok cool thanks, il give it a shot

17. farcar

farcar Well-Known Member

Thanks. I might need to head down that path. It seems you can map most of the UI navigation buttons natively, but not to select the highlighted option.

18. Kiryu

Kiryu Member

This is my first title from Reiza and i have to say, the VR is pretty enjoyable :)

The performance is pretty good, i can easily achieve 90 fps constantly, even with 23 (sometimes more) ai drivers and relatively high settings, while looking pleasantly modern.

Some minor and track specific stutters in a few corners aside, that's really impressive. I didn't even need to fiddle with the settings at all in the beginning to get a smooth and good looking experience.

Playing on a 9700k@5GHz with 3200CL14 and a 1080.

19. Firebolt

Firebolt New Member

For Monaco you can try turning crowds off (true) in the oculussetting.xml for when entering the harbour area after exiting the tunnel, it is the only track that I have noticed turning the crowds off actually works. I definitely noticed a fps boost there.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Mike1304

Mike1304 Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

It‘s strange that I have no performance problems with Monaco but with Suzuka (Kansai), although Monaco has much more details and object....