1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Couple of my ideas, mostly visual

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Sektor, Apr 19, 2020.

1. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Internal Tester AMS2 Club Member

I believe rF2 has had this choice for years.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Sektor

Sektor Member

@Wolfgang Herold AMS2 is a sim that uses the engine made for a game that has the least rep in sim world, often called simcade.

Edit: if rF2 has the option it would be cool for AMS2 to have it.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Cfst

Cfst Active Member AMS2 Club Member

to be fair I think that's down to the developers of that game, engine is perfectly capable of providing a realistic sim experience..

• Like Like x 1
  4. Wolfgang Herold

Wolfgang Herold I Like Liveries :) AMS2 Club Member

youre telling a WMD member really late news :p
    I backed Automobilista 1 Beta too and also AC and others. So i'm no fanboy of any of them.
    Simcade is the typical word of fanboys. I don't like it. Project Cars had many bugs, and therefore it was really hard to love it. But it had many good ideas. And SMS failed. But Reiza seems not to.
    They fixed more bugs in 6 weeks than SMS in 2 years.
    By the way. My grandpa was smoking, my pa was smoking, i was a smoker for 39 years. But that does not apply to my children and grand children. They don't have to repeat the same too.
    So if you like RF2 so much, why do you want AMS2 to be a copy of it. Just stay with RF2. Its the best copy of itselv. :p
    Reiza is making AMS2, neither a copy of pCARS nor a copy of RF2.
    Back to topic.
    If you look back, the newer a sim, the more it gets technical.
    I have no problem if you want to add 3 potatoes to your fuel or 7 ticks to your aero.
    But in the real world only real values are comparable. Most parameters are not measured in ticktocks IRL.
    When it comes to telemetry output, then you have to work with real values and units. Thats the problem for most of the guys who code telemetry apps. Nobody knows what the real values of e.g. 1 - 10 in in many Asseto Corsa parameters should be. Because for every car its something other.
    Thank good tire pressure is meassured in bar or psi, not ticks :)

The main advantage for that simple system was/is, that coders back in time could use fantasy values and therefore couldn't be bugged by their users for simulating wrong values. Nowadays its a bit harder.
    If a game calls itself simulation, then it MUST use real values corresponding to that of the simulated cars.
    In that definition, every game that doesn't should be called simcade, because it works only with the rules of thumb.
    But as i said, i don't like this word. Lets look into the future, not back to good old times.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Funny Funny x 2
  5. Sektor

Sektor Member

I'm pretty sure AMS1 used only steps, so than it wasn't a real sim :(
    Btw, this game is made so it could be played with a controller, even keyboard. It gives people options to use it the way they can or prefer.
    And to repeat, either way it is just a click of the mouse left.

6. F1Aussie

F1Aussie Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Can't see why we can't have real values but with a slider scale that shows where the current value is in that range.
    Whenever I change settings I find it a little frustrating that I have to go to the minimum value and then the maximum value to work out where the current setting is at and this is varies a lot from car to car. What might be a 50nm rear roll setting might be soft on one car but stiff on another.

• Agree Agree x 4
  7. CreamyCornCob

CreamyCornCob Member

Would you like some camber, toe in, rake, aero df, stiff spring? How about some damping.
    That would be cool.
    [​IMG]

But it would be nice not to have settings shown on a car that can't be changed or doesn't even have them on that particular car (clutter).

• Like Like x 1
  8. Wolfgang Herold

+1. Shown but indicated with another color or greyed out.

9. Wolfgang Herold

no. not right. It is/was a really good sim for its time.
    Look, Formula 1 was most time on top of technical development. A 1969 Lotus was top, a 1974 Ferrari was top, 1995 Benetton was top. All in their time. Now this best cars are oldtimers.
    If Reiza makes the right steps, nobody will cry for AMS1 in 1 or 2 years. Because its an oldtimer too.
    In 20 years its retro ;)
    30000 years menship was cooking on fire. Now we have microwave ovens and more.
    You can say, the technical concept using fire was great. I say, yes it is, when i make a barbeque i use it too. But in my home i use more enhanced things :p

if you do a real true view on RF2, its totally right, it has very good features, good FFB, good physiks. I totally agree. But if it comes to the UI ( not that crappy and slow beta thingy ) its one of the worst retro things in the sim world. If you don't believe that, just read their forum ;)

Last edited: Apr 21, 2020
  10. Sektor

Sektor Member

Don't need to go that wide or meta. It's just a suggestion for UI, to make it more user friendly. Reiza will probably do nothing about that, so you guys who like big "real" numbers are safe.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Marius H

Marius H Internal Beta Tester Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

I suggest a toggle. gameplaywise and interfacewise it's friendlier for the non-technical people. Otherwise Reiza must include some form of Car Mechanic Simulator during the setup. That's real hardcore. So you can pick tools and start fiddling with the car. Now we just looking at numbers and those big numbers I've no clue what they are. They are just clutter. Just a simple step will do. Unless its tyre pressure or anything else, like final ratio and gears. But a toggle will satisfy the repairmen next to us.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. alink

alink Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

IMO, what is really needed are some animated, graphical additions to some parts of the setup.
    For example:
    Gearbox: I'm missing the diagramm like it was in AMS1, GTR, EA Sports F1Challenge or in the good old GrandPrix Unlimited from 1990
    Wings: a value is quiete OK, but what does it really mean, how flat / steep is the wing? Does step 0 / 1 mean a small and flat wing like it is used in F1 at Monza ? Or does it mean something else (especially when there different aero - packages available like it is in AMS1)
    In UbiSoft's F1Racing (1996 season) and F1RacingSimulator2 (1997 season) as well as in Papyrus IndyCar (1993 season) and GrandPrix Unlimited, there was such an illustration
    Maybe for setting the camber, toe, ride high & rake such illustration will give better understanding what will change and how big the change is when I "optimise" something.
    OK for springs, ARB, dampers it will be a little bit difficult to make a good illustration or I don't know how to at the moment.

• Informative Informative x 1
  13. alink

alink Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I hope we can get something like this:
    So you can read out the performance, best shifting rpms (pwoer-torque-graph)

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1