1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"Helmet Overlay"?

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Jack Ulstad, Apr 21, 2020.

1. Jack Ulstad

Jack Ulstad New Member

I'm still trying to get the sound working right in AMS2, while using VR, and I'm really wishing the guys at Reiza would address this. In the meantime, I ran across one of the forum posts here where guys were talking about using the TrackIR, and Yorkie said "there should be a Camera Settings page where you will find a tab with the options for adjusting the Helmet cam settings, disabling the helmet overlay (also disables the muffled sound effects)"... I sure would like to know how to shut off the damn Helmet Overlay to get rid of the muffled sound effects, But I went to the Camera Settings page and there isn't anything about "Helmet Overlay". Is it somewhere in a config file maybe?

2. snc

snc New Member

Options>Camera>configuration>show helmet

Is that what you are talking about?

3. Jack Ulstad

Jack Ulstad New Member

Nope.

I said that, in another thread, Yorkie mentioned that there's a Camera Settings page where you will find a tab with the options for adjusting the Helmet cam settings, and disabling the "helmet overlay", and he said this will also disable the muffled sound effects. Those muffled sound effects that Reiza is forcing us to use, is the only thing I don't like so far about AMS 2 (actually I HATE about AMS 2).

4. Mahjik

Mahjik Active Member

Are you sure the video from Yorkie you are referring to is about AMS2 rather than PC2?

While they use the same engine, Reiza's implementation may not be exactly the same as PC2 in all areas. "Show Helmet" is the correct option to disable the helmet overlay. However, I'm not sure that AMS2 does the same thing with sounds as PC2 does where the sound is slightly muffled when using the Helmet View to simulate being inside a helmet.

5. sgsfabiano

sgsfabiano Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Mate, there are two helmet cameras: one with the helmet overlay (and muffled sounds) and another without the helmet and normal sounds.

Cycle through the camera modes (there should be an assigned button to do this) and you will find these two helmet cameras.

Edit:
    upload_2020-4-21_22-50-10.png

upload_2020-4-21_22-50-21.png

6. Mahjik

Mahjik Active Member

Assuming the same options are in AMS2 as in PC2, it won't be two Helmet Cams. It will be one Helmet and one Cockpit cam. The difference is that head movement will only work in Helmet cam and not in Cockpit cam, but you don't have the "muffled" sounds in Cockpit cam.

7. sgsfabiano

sgsfabiano Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Ah, I see. But like me he's on VR, so cockpit cam acts the same as helmet cam in this instance, hence my confusion.

A little ago I also was having some trouble trying to get the helmet overlay to work until somebody on this forum pointed me to the cycle camera :D

8. Jack Ulstad

Jack Ulstad New Member

Well, so no joy on my end. No matter which of those two views I put it in, I still get the muffled sound and when I turn my hear it switches to the wrong ear. I swear, this is so dang frustrating... This should not be that difficult for making sound work properly when all my other sims work perfect (and I run about 5 or 6 others!). Maybe I should just try a re-install one more time... If that doesn't work, I'm pulling the plug for good.

9. Baku

Baku Member

I am not sure about the sound. It sounds OK for me in VR with Sennheiser RS 175 headphones.
    What bothers me is that the helmet overlay has significant performance impact in VR with the DOF disabled or enabled. It seems like a simple overlay, so I can not understand why is there so much rendering going on with it.

10. Goffik

Goffik Well-Known Member

Poorly implemented I suppose. I have a similar problem in a certain flight sim where enabling the HUD at all, even with minimal widgets displayed, kills the framerate for no real reason.

Has this just been pulled over from PCars 2? If so then perhaps Reiza haven't gotten around to looking at doing it better themselves yet.

11. Baku

Baku Member

@Goffik , I like the helmet overlay as it adds kinda immersion in VR. I wish it would be better optimized, since it is not worth the performance drop ATM.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Goffik

Goffik Well-Known Member

Me too, but I no longer use it for the same reason. Hopefully it'll get fixed before release.

13. Mahjik

Mahjik Active Member

I'm not sure AMS2 does the sounds different between cockpit and helmet cams (with or without the overlay). At least, I cannot tell a difference.. From what I can tell, you are getting a "cockpit sound" for all views.

14. Goffik

Goffik Well-Known Member

Looking through the files, it seems that each view is designated internal or external, and I'm guessing that determines what audio you hear when using that view. (There's another setting which adds/removes "internal sounds" too.) So it looks like I was wrong to suggest there was a difference between cockpit and helmet cams. It was just placebo on my part.