1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is there a physics bug with grass and gravel areas outside of the track

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Pixel, Apr 26, 2020.

1. Pixel

Pixel Active Member

The car behaves like it's on quicksand and you get stuck or spin around like crazy.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. CreamyCornCob

CreamyCornCob Member

Don't go in them. ;)
    Cars that create most of their down force from the mostly flat floor or gonna beach hard in sand / gravel and you're lucky to get out of them. Thats just the way it goes. Other cars aren't that difficult to get out of the gravel, you're gonna lose a lot of time. - Thats Racin'

No different than AMS2:

Or for a real "quicksand" beach, 1:10

Last edited: Apr 26, 2020
  3. John Hargreaves

John Hargreaves Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

There's a gameplay/design element also. You want gravel to be a deterrent, but most gravel traps irl are instant race over, so is that appropriate for a videogame? All you would do is restart the race just like if you have a massive shunt. I can see for online play that makes sense, but offline there is a balance to tread, a short trip into the gravel loses you time but doesn't necessarily end your race. Not suggesting answers, just putting up different viewpoints.

4. Goffik

Goffik Well-Known Member

This is a simulator not an arcade game, so in my view all aspects should be properly simulated if possible. So yeah, online or offline, a trip to the gravel should mean the possibility of getting stuck. Also, grass on slick tyres is indeed ridiculously slippery, as you can often see in real race footage.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 4
  5. Pixel

Pixel Active Member

It's much worse than the videos. You can't even turn properly or contr the car, even at slow speed.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. CreamyCornCob

CreamyCornCob Member

Whats worse than getting fully beached? Haven't had any problem turning around and getting the car back on track, yes you gotta feather the throttle :D. Are you using a controller? I dunno.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. CreamyCornCob

CreamyCornCob Member

Just for kicks thought I'd see, no getting stuck and no spinning. It is very throttle sensitive - as to be expected.

8. Pixel

Pixel Active Member

Maybe it's track specific, I was running yesterday with a track I didn't know and the car wouldn't steer at all, regardless of the throttle. It was a track I've never raced on before so I'll have to look again at which one it was.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Tony Binelli

Tony Binelli Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Pixel is correct, try going on the grass on the inside of the track at Johannesburg historics last corner, the car just hovers across the ground. impossible to get back on track.

10. CreamyCornCob

CreamyCornCob Member

Agreed on grass, not gravel/sand traps. Of any of the race cars I've driven IRL, its no where near what its like in AMS2 going in the grass. At the very least, it acts like soaking wet grass in AMS2 when its dry. Its more borderline ice, that I do hope they get fixed.

And thats with any car, low hp or not.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Cliff

Cliff Member

that’s what reset car is for. The environment should be simulated properly not dumbed down.

12. John Hargreaves

I suppose you could say a reset button is a gameplay device also. If the gravel is realistic and you get beached, then you just hit reset I can't see how that's any less unrealistic. I do agree that a trip to the gravel means race over personally, that's how it is most times in real life unless you get lucky.
    +1 for the dry grass having realistic grip too.

13. Greg Latty

Greg Latty Member AMS2 Club Member

I came on here specifically to ask about this.. The grass, for me specifically at Cadwell Park, is like ice. I mean even if i touch a little piece of it it sends my car spinning. Is it realistic? Maybe. Ive never raced a car on a real circuit. But it seems a little excessive.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. John Hargreaves

Wet grass is like ice, but short dry grass wouldn't kill you if you went over it in a straight line.

15. Cliff

Cliff Member

You bet:

16. John Hargreaves

There is a difference between wet English grass and nice dry Italian grass

1:40 Vettel gets two wheels on the grass and carries on, so I guess just like a track, grass is a living changing thing. Sometimes you slip sometimes you don't, what you have to ask yourself is 'do you feel lucky..'
    YouTube being sniffy about being embedded, the relevant bit is at 1:40

17. Obizzz

Obizzz Member

Not the best example as he actually had a heart attack and they think that’s why he lost control of the car. Probably happened before he veered off onto the grass.

With that said grass can be very slippery especially if it’s a bit damp and I’m not talking about rain levels of wetness. A bit of morning dew will be enough.

It’s not way off in AMS2 at the moment.

18. Pixel

Pixel Active Member

Wet grass is like ice when you are driving with speed. Not when you are super slow or stationary. So that comment is just dumb. Like I said, this is something beyond the actual real life physics. It's akin to when you get stuck on a polygon in a FPS and the car no longer responds to any of your inputs, you just hover randomly in any direction, without regard to your pedal speed or wheel input. I'll try to capture this the next time it happens because it's pretty obvious.

19. Obizzz

Obizzz Member

There are places when there is something funky going on with the underlying mesh. I was talking about the general grip level.

• Like Like x 1
  20. CharlesIngaz

CharlesIngaz New Member

I'm bringing up this old topic because the problem is persistent ^^

I agree with you regarding the physics problem with grass.
    Where it's also very surprising is with the RXs, which are supposed to be "all-terrain", if you pass a wheel on the grass, even without being fully on the accelerator it's a spin .
    I'm not talking about track exits which in reality would be controlled and which on AMS 2 end up in the tires.

Having done a few rally and track day runs, from my point of view the grass on AMS 2 looks more like an ice rink.

A little update would be nice, just to make things a little less slippery. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 2