1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Car classes with overpowered AI

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by tpw, Apr 19, 2020.

1. tpw

tpw Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

This follows on from this thread. I think it's pretty obvious to all concerned that the AMS2 0-120% AI Skill slider bears almost no relationship to the 70-120% slider in AMS1, which is understandable given that the AI are running different code in AMS2. I compete comfortably against most AI classes at 95-100% in AMS1 and generally get my arse handed to me by those exact classes at 95-100% in AMS2. In fact I tend to think that something like below applies (many thanks to @John Hargreaves for kicking this idea off in my head) :
    • 100-120% : aliens who don't drive a car in a way that corresponds to reality
    • 80-100%: really good sim racers who can drive on/just over the limit consistently
    • 80%: reasonably competent sim racers should get a decent workout to compete
    • 60%: reasonably competent sim racers should be able to work their way through the pack over a 5 lap race
    • 40-60%: beginners should be able to hang in there
    • 20-40%: beginners should be able to work their way through a pack
    • 0-20%: your 6 year old sitting on your knee should be able to hang in there.
    I have no problems with such a schema, if all the AI classes actually adhered to it. I like to test classes at 60% skill / 70 aggression, and with many of them I can indeed work my way through the pack. With the AI still in development (and making great strides it has to to be said), there are nevertheless a number of classes which stand out as having really obnoxious overpowered AI who are very very difficult to compete against no matter what. These classes variously outbrake/outcorner/outaccelerate/outpace the player, and the skill slider has very little effect on them, meaning that they can't be outpaced even at very low skill. For the cars below I have to drive like my life depends on it even at 20% skill. At 80% I don't stand the slightest chance of even maintaining position.

Formula Vee
    Formula Trainers
    Copa Fusca
    Ultima Race

Obviously I don't have the time and patience to test all the cars, so I'm wondering if you guys have any classes you think are in the overpowered category, as pointers for the devs to look at in more detail. I'm particularly interested in the lower power categories, as overpowered AI here will be very discouraging for inexperienced drivers starting an eventual career mode.

EDIT: This diatribe does not include wet weather considerations. Most AI cars drive in the wet like it's dry. I guess this is brand new territory for Reiza so I expect this will take time to sort.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. Touno71

Touno71 Member

I had the same experience with caterham superlight in guapore. Impossible to follow in some curves....

3. Stepy

Stepy Member

Sorry wrong thread.

4. NuScorpii

NuScorpii Well-Known Member

Stock V8 and Ultima GTR for me so far. They can easily out brake you and start driving around you on a corner when you're on the edge of grip.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. NuScorpii

An interesting one considering they are the same base car: Ultima GTR Race vs Ultima GTR Road car.

For the GTR Race with AI at 80% I can have a good race, sometimes win from the back. With the GTR Road version same AI strength I can get from last to first in 1 lap and be over 4 seconds a lap faster! Think the road version needs a bit of work...

6. biancazzurro

biancazzurro New Member

AI in Formula V12 is very slow. it is easy to win even at 120%

Last edited: Apr 26, 2020
  7. John Hargreaves

John Hargreaves Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Any particular track? I just tried at Imola and they seemed pretty quick. I'd like to have a crack at beating 120% AI just once before they find it and fix it, you know, just to tell my grandchildren :whistle:

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. Romeo Foxtrot

Romeo Foxtrot Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Try Imola 72, Spielberg or Jerez in V12, V10, F-Reiza or any of the Formula Classics - not Interlagos.

• Like Like x 1
  9. John Hargreaves

Nice one, I've just been on Interlagos, they don't seem bad there, maybe a bit bashy in places, but pretty quick.

10. NuScorpii

Also the P3 Roco 001 at Brands Hatch. They can't start properly so you can get to 1st from the back before the first corner. They aren't too quick round there too so you can hold on to the lead.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Andy-R

Andy-R Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Formula Vee AI seem okay, actually better than the other cars I've tried. At 120% their pace over a whole lap is fine for me and probably too slow for some. They arent good to race against or drive near to being too slow or too fast in certain places but actual lap times seem alright.They might be too fast at lower percentages but certainly not "really obnoxious overpowered AI who are very very difficult to compete against no matter what." Although AI may have been updated since this thread was created.

20200426144617_1.jpg

I don't think you need to exploit somehow to drive with AI at 120% either, all realism settings and rules are on here and setup is very close to default.

12. John Hargreaves

Just done a couple of 10 lap quick races in the V12 with AI on 100%, had a great time actually at both Jerez and Austria. I can see that they could be a bit slow as I've not driven the V12 before and I don't have that many laps at those two tracks, I was about 1sec per lap quicker than the lead AI. I had to drive my best without a single mistake though to do that, so they aren't miles off. Probably about where you would expect 80% on the Walrus scale OP. Very enjoyable racing though.

13. biancazzurro

biancazzurro New Member

I have tried Imola, Suzuka and Canada I have set pole position and won quite easily at 120% . I am not a phenomenon, that's why it is strange

14. John Hargreaves

In PC2, there was a thing where the AI would 'give up' once they were behind you. Not always but it was definitely a thing. I've been doing my races from last and making my way through, I'll try the same races from pole and see what happens.
    I generally don't bother qualifying, comes from wasting time in online lobbies with 30min qualifying just to get punted off on turn 1 by someone who doesn't know what a brake pedal is. I much prefer racing robots when it's done right.

15. 250swb

250swb Active Member

I'm tending to think the problem isn't just about Ai but the combinations of the track and Ai. Race at Brands Hatch Indy circuit in a P3 car and the Ai are fine at default 'aggression' settings, so a good race with close but fair manoeuvres, But change to classic Imola and the Ai are ramming you from behind and turning you around without any penalty.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Sampo

Sampo Member AMS2 Club Member

I've seen people referencing that. What about them just being slower that you? You did just overtake them.

17. tpw

tpw Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I don’t bother with mp either, so I feel it’s important to get the ai right too. In my experience, AI in AMS2 don’t just give up when you pass them. In PC2 you would often have to drive a 11/10ths for several laps to pass a particular AI, only to suddenly gain 2sec/lap on him once in front.

Edit: I’m hoping that future updates will allow the AI skill settings to actually impact their top speed in a meaningful and consistent way, and not just their cornering ability. Currently there are classes where even at 0% they will pull away from you on every straight, slipstreaming be damned.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  18. SwaggerJacker

SwaggerJacker Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Yeah. I was told it was my exit speed out of the corner. As if I have no clue how to race. It's just us, bro.:rolleyes:

19. baker

baker New Member AMS2 Club Member

I know the feeling, Id like to beat the AI at 120% too, one day.
    I am not fast at all but try the Puma P052. I might actually be in for a chance with these at the moment. They seem to be very slow compared to anything else.

• Like Like x 1