1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Automobilista 2 Force Feedback - Overview & Recommendations

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Renato Simioni, Apr 4, 2020.

1. Gordie

Gordie Active Member

Given the disparity between wheels I don't think a "one size" fits all is a prudent approach tbh.
    @RoccoTTS you beat me to it :)

• Like Like x 2
  2. Marius H

Marius H Internal Beta Tester Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

If I understand it right there's some finetunings coming next patch or few patches for the FFB. I am slightly hoping this will make CSW 2.5 and DD-users able to lower LFB to zero. I've the feeling we now need a little LFB for the subtle center forces, like feeling when the rear wants to go. In an ideal world we should and could use the exact settings we use in AMS 1. That would be lovely. I am running 75/0/720hz/Dri-2 in AMS and 75/15-20/0/Dri-2 in AMS 2. It's kinda similar. Anyway. I love both games and both FFB. Hope eventually the FFB will be fleshed out, so they can concentrate onto other things that needs to be solved or updated or changed. (Hello interface and menu) I am really satisfied in the progress they have made in April specially with the FFB and AI. Keep it up!

ps. Secretly hoping the FFB stuff can be implanted into AMS 1. :p

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Internal Tester AMS2 Club Member

As of the last build, my AMS 1 and AMS 2 FFB are as close to identical as one could likely ever expect. @Ivysaur, what LFB do you use in AMS? It has no minimum force slider--it is just built in as they may do here.

If I am understanding what Reiza is doing, LFB in AMS and AMS 2 is now pretty much the same. The same settings should produce more or less the same results (if you leave FX at default 50). Works on my wheel, anyway....

And, for the zillionth time, there is no reason or logic to put LFB (or FX) at 0.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  4. VFX Pro

VFX Pro Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I have a fanatec DD2. Reiza recommends leaving the menu spring at 0. Actually, cranking it up doesn't make any difference. Is there a setting in the .ini or FFB file to increase the spring force?

5. Alegunner68

Alegunner68 Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Menu spring only works in the menu..

6. Supa

Supa Active Member AMS2 Club Member

With your wheel perhaps but my DD wheel is set to 0 for both LFB and FX as it feels alot better. Maybe your confusion is because not all DD wheel users set their Wheel strength to 100 They may find if they did so they won't need LFB or FX! Stop confusing everyone with your findings for Fanatec belt drive wheels! How would you know what my DD wheel feels like?

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  7. Jairo

Jairo New Member

I have the DD1. I come form rf2 and downloaded AMS2 two days ago. I found that if I run the gain at the recommend 40-50, even with my DD1 at 100% torque, it feels too weak. And I am not someone who likes a very strong wheel. I then used the FFB tool in AMS2 to find the clipping point on F1 cars, and I found that I can run the gain at 75 without clipping. And my DD1 at 50% torque. Also, don't feel the need for LFB at 75 gain and dd1.

• Informative Informative x 2
  8. zzigg

zzigg New Member AMS2 Club Member

see post #336

9. Marc Collins

Stop confusing people who don't have DD wheels by talking about your settings!!

Grow up.

And you will notice I said "for my wheel."

And, there are plenty of DD users on here (and making YouTube videos) who are thrilled with the FFB...none of whom are using 0. Go tell them what they are feeling is wrong.

10. buddhatree

buddhatree Member

Holy cow guys, adding -pthreads 4 to the Steam launch options makes a HUGE difference to the FFB!

Go ahead and drive a lap or two with your current FFB settings to remind yourself what it feels like. Then add -pthreads 4 to the Steam launch options and go out on track. The FFB feels much more "full."

11. Carlos Panades

Carlos Panades New Member

Where did you get that info from mate?

• Like Like x 1
  12. buddhatree

buddhatree Member

Apparently it was an old command from pCARS2. I never knew about it until someone mentioned it on these forums, so I tried it.

13. Marius H

Can do a test. We have a saying in The Netherlands: ‘Baat het niet, dan schaadt het niet' :p

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. buddhatree

buddhatree Member

Als er een schaap over de dam is volgen er meer :)

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. Mahjik

Mahjik Active Member

By default, unless Reiza changed this, the Madness engine used to use 2 dedicated threads for (tire IIRC) physics. Using -pthreads 4 will allocate 2 more additional dedicated threads for the physics processing. IIRC, 4 was the limit so trying to use larger values doesn't work.

16. Marc Collins

Can't wait for the feedback to see if this is actually "a thing."

17. Mahjik

Mahjik Active Member

Some people quoted in the past that it enhanced their FFB. To be fair, I never noticed a difference in PC2 for FFB with or without that flag. However, I don't consider my Thurstmaster TX a high end device so those with better hardware may notice a difference.

What I did notice is that things were smoother with gameplay (no lag on collisions that some people reported, and no sound drops that other's reported). I completely forgot about that flag for AMS2. I plan to try it out this weekend.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Marius H

I did some tests. There's something going on. Perhaps it's a placebo. But I like it. I just leave it in. @Domagoj Lovric Can you put some insight on this? Would love your expertise

Last edited: May 1, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Marc Collins

I'd like to understand what possible reason would there be to not make it the default. Why would anyone want fewer threads used? Just for older/really weak computers?

20. Marius H

Perhaps the sim / FFB is tailored around the 2 physical default threads and if someone uses -pthreads 4 it goes wonky. Like: ''you and you use 1 thread, you and you use the second thread and that's it.''

But -pthreads 4 seems it helps and enhances the FFB. At last it feels more detailed to me, but it can be placebo-effect. That's why I would love some insight from Dom.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1