1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vintage formulas drivability

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Jonathan Spencer, May 3, 2020.

1. Jonathan Spencer

Jonathan Spencer New Member

Was wondering what people think of the handling of the vintage formulas ? I find them incredibly unforgiving and twitchy, probably too much so. I understand the challenge of these cars, but I never feel like I can attack a course, I sort of nurse it round the track . They are q rarely showing in MP either, so maybe others find them not as fun to drive as I wish they were. I wish they could be toned back a little to improve drivability. Any thoughts?

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
  2. 250swb

250swb Active Member

I agree, and I don't think the answer is just 'well it's a powerful engine in a light chassis' because some of the other powerful cars in the game are absurdly easy to drive. Yes you can't just put your foot down in an old Formula 1 car, but they did have tuneable throttle maps, the cars in the game at the moment have the power come in viciously like a turbo spooling up. I really hope Reiza can make them more drivable in the future.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  3. YoLolo69

YoLolo69 Active Member

That's my favorite type of cars in a lot of sims and here I can't drive them for sure. Possibly other sims cheat, I don't know, but yeah, it's a deception for me. I'll try and I'll try as I can't give up those cars... Need to improve my skills!

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Wilson Santos

Wilson Santos Member

Honestly it does not seem to me they drive too differently than in AMS1

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  5. Koala63

Koala63 Member

Greetings. Pre-aero formula cars are my main sim driving passion accounting for at least 90% of my sim driving time. Usually the Lotus but many, many hours of late in the RF2 BT20 on the Nords. I love the AMS2 Vintage G1M1 which I believe may roughly represent a Lotus 49. I find the AMS2 Gen 1 V8 to be pretty close to the RF2 60s cars in handling. Without a doubt they are the most challenging and technically demanding to drive but also the most rewarding to learn and get right.
    Also, IIRC, the real Lotus 49 had this sort of power band thing that kicked in about 7000 rpm, where a previously linear power output spikes massively.
    My gripe is with the current state of the AI. I'm pretty average and very much a sim racing learner, but I can happily podium a short race at Brands in the Formula Classic Gen 1 with,AI set to 60% and get best lap times by seconds. But Formula Vintage, Gen 1 with AI set to 05% (yes zero FIVE) still gets lap times to or 3 seconds better than me in the identical race settings.
    This means I can't even begin to use the AI to train safe passing etc, let alone enjoyably offline race, until I pick up 5 seconds on my PB! Unfortunately 08.7.1 does not include the Leaderboards for Formula Vintage yet, so I can't determine yet if it is the car, or me just being totally rubbish. But if it was just me, I think I'd fair the same in Formula Classic.
    Love the Formula Vintage and very much hoping its gets some love (and visible suspension) from Reiza. The recent news of a Licensing deal with Lotus might even mean that we can have a proper, accurately modelled Lotus 49, which is after all, the preferred drive of all good old Boomer-mobilistas.

Last edited: May 4, 2020
    • Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 4
  6. Andy-R

Andy-R Active Member AMS2 Club Member

At Kyalami Gen1 should be 1:17's in both. V12 a little faster. Some people can probably do 16's in the V12.

Last edited: May 4, 2020
  7. BazzaLB

BazzaLB Well-Known Member

Current leader boards for Kyalami and v8 Gen 1 is around 1.19's. Great car combo this :)

8. 250swb

250swb Active Member

And in the 1967 South African GP on the old Kyalami with no wings and on a hot day the best lap was 1.29.9. Just for perspective you understand.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Cliff

Cliff Member

proper gearbox though. I doubt anyone on the leaderboard is heel & toeing

10. Andy-R

Andy-R Active Member AMS2 Club Member

The car can do 17's around there whilst heel and toeing for sure, there's no reason heel and toe should slow you down vs not doing it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. john Ellis

john Ellis The Rectifier of Names AMS2 Club Member

Just for that, I quickly posted a 1:21:340 in a V8 Gen1 at Kyalami while heel & toeing my G25. Probably won't last on the Leaderboard 'till midnight (current best time is jo siffert's 1:18), but at least it was properly derived!

Last edited: May 5, 2020
  12. Ernie

Ernie Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I really like the Formula Vintage in AMS1, especially the "winged-ones" from 1969. Satisfying to drive on the edge, but still controllable. Great fun on tracks like the historic Kyalami, Imola or Österreichring.

But i admit, that i have my problems with them in AMS2. A little bit too edgy and not that intuitive to drive like it was in AMS1. Maybe i have to re-learn to drive the Vintage's in AMS2.

• Like Like x 2
  13. 250swb

250swb Active Member

I'm going to contradict myself and say having tried Vintage Gen1 at Classic Kyalami I concede they are enourmous fun, predictable, driftable, and having a good race against the Ai is entirely possible. So is this a track thing, because other tracks are like ice racing?

14. Cliff

Cliff Member

I tried Monaco and it might as well have been an ice rink.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Jugulador

Jugulador Well-Known Member

Fell fair to me. Hard cars to master, but they have no random reactions and sometimes I can get them near to the edge (that is fast cornering with a gentle slide).

Found the Gen 1 even better than the Kunos versions (that are already great).

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. john Ellis

john Ellis The Rectifier of Names AMS2 Club Member

Agreed, in general I have little to complain about with the Vintage and Classic F1 machinery in AMS2. To me, these cars simply feel better in AMS2 with my G25 than any sim I own.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  17. Shadak

Shadak Active Member

These things really like to step out at high revs but I love driving them in AMS2!

ss3.jpg

Oh and apparently we doing tyre swaps anywhere now...

ss4.jpg

Attached Files:

• ss3.jpg
      ss3.jpg
      File size:
      1.5 MB
      Views:
    • Funny Funny x 9
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Gevatter

Gevatter The James May of Simracing AMS2 Club Member

Does AMS2 already simulate air density? Kyalami is quite high up, so the cars should have less power from the lesser air density there than somewhere like Monaco which is basically at sea level. I don't know how much influence that would be though, no idea if it would give you an extra 10 seconds in those cars :)

I watched a 1967 race against AI in Kayalami in GP Legends the other day, the guy did around 1:23s in the race in the BRM. It's interesting that the real life cars were that much slower.

19. Maser V6

Maser V6 Assume nothing._ Verify everything._Have fun AMS2 Club Member

Love these things, blew 2 engines last night in TT

20. F1Aussie

F1Aussie Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

With less air density doesn't that also mean the engines make lower power so that should balance out any straight line aero gains?