1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scripted AI behaviour?

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by deadly, May 9, 2020.

1. deadly

deadly Well-Known Member

Did some short races (10 laps) with qualifying this morning on an opponent strength I can keep up with (VERY low).
    Always started on pole because of low AI strength and because of my horrible starting skills I lost 1 or 2 places at the beginning of the race.
    Noticed following issue: The AI in front of me rushed away from the rest of the pack, only I could keep up with them. After lap 1, each time there was a huge gap between me and cars behind, but cars in lead drove roughly my laptimes. And then, after a few laps, when I had managed to overtake them, they also fell back quite soon, unable to reach laptimes they had driven when in front of me and I was some seconds ahead after 1 or 2 laps and they never catched up again.
    Aggression was set between 50 (standard) and 90%. Difference on higher aggression level was just that it was more difficult to overtake, but AI also fell back afterwards.

Is there some kind of script telling the AI to go faster when they are in front of the human player?

2. Madonion

Madonion Member

in my opinion i think so as it makes sense since when i set the AI around 62 they drive quite well and only few laps in i get to overtake nr1 if i did not qualify upfront. But i did notice if i let them drive they seem to be slower. Maybe programmed to engadge the player abit more since it's more fun rather then letting them speed off?

• Like Like x 1
  3. BazzaLB

BazzaLB Well-Known Member

I have definitely noticed that I can catch the AI.. pick where they are slow.. overtake with ease.. but then for a couple of laps they seem magically faster... challenging me in corners where I was easily faster before.. Once you manage to get a bit of a gap, then they seem to slow down again... So, yes.. I have definitely noticed the same thing.

Having said that.. I don't mind it actually. Had some unexpected good battles as a result :)

• Like Like x 1
  4. Madonion

Madonion Member

Yea same its nice to see where i can overtake and make my way thru to the win. Im going to choose lvl70 next and see how i fair.

5. Mahjik

Mahjik Active Member

Some of that will also be because of the draft. Once you are able to break the draft you can extend away.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. SwaggerJacker

SwaggerJacker Active Member AMS2 Club Member

For those that are qualifying, has the quali bug been addressed? Earlier versions saw the AI extremely faster than the player. But in the race they weren't as fast. I think I may have read that quali was worked on, but I'm not sure.

7. BazzaLB

BazzaLB Well-Known Member

Not so sure on that as I noticed this phenomenon a while ago so I took that into account. They race me side by side into corners that they were braking early for previously. It is pretty noticeable that their racing "behaviour" changes. But like I say.. I like it. Having said that, its easier to chase as they say so its pretty good effect (even if its imagined on my part :D )

8. SwaggerJacker

I just raced the AI on Kyalami 2019. AI set at 85/80. I usually try to race the AI on 100, however, I'm not familiar with the track, so I adjusted. It wasn't hard keeping up with the AI until around the 3rd lap. Then I noticed they got faster and started picking me off. As I became more familiar with the track, I held my ground, but it was a lot of work. Should be an amazing challenge when I learn the track better and bump up the AI. They drive surprisingly well there.

9. SaxOhare

SaxOhare Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

This behavior is seen in more sims, I always thought it is because all the AI cars are driving with the same pace, so they are always attacking and defending each-other in the pack, resulting in lower laptimes.

• Like Like x 1
  10. SwaggerJacker

Interesting. Never though of it that way.