1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vintage formulas drivability

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Jonathan Spencer, May 3, 2020.

1. CrimsonEminence

CrimsonEminence Administrator Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

When TC is off in general settings, it doesn't apply in the SCV8. (For example "authentic" shoudn't deliver any TC at all in the SCV8. The Setup menu setting just applies, if the sim has activated TC or the car has TC IRL.)
    The Cosser DFV concept is "gods engine" and was in use over several decades. Of course it beats the V12, it's light, powerful, reliable and responsive as hell ;)

• Like Like x 1
  2. Andy-R

Andy-R Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Yeah I had TC set to off rather than authentic because there were issues with it before but I turned it back to authentic for that car and thought I could feel a difference :oops:

With mostly default setup I think the V12 is possibly faster although in that MP session I used the V8 first and then managed to go about half a second quicker in the V12 which may have just been down to experience gained in these cars that was applicable to both. Currently I'm about 3 or 4 tenths faster in the V8.

3. Koala63

Koala63 Member

After a quick try out this morning it seems that the F-Vintage AI sorted out to my liking with the latest update. Scaled back to 50% I can now stay with it around the track at Brands with only a little concentration, This seems about fair as I'd rate myself as a moderately competent learner of average ability - a proper average Joe. Now I can work my skill levels up in offline races at last. Yay!
    On another matter... I keep glitching out in exactly the same place at the end of the braking zone going into T1 at Historic Kyalami. The game freezes, force feedback goes spastic and the wheel pulls over to hard right lock. Only exiting the game entirely fixes it. This has happened about 6 times now, always at exactly the same place while hard under brakes, right over to the left side at the end of the main straight, just about to turn in to T1. Nothing similar experienced in any other track ever. I haven't seen this reported elsewhere so I am assuming its something I've done at my end. Only other glitch I'm having is lap times have stopped working on Brands, but I once again assume I've done something silly at my end. So anyone else or just me?
    Anyway, this punter is loving where the Formula Vintage is going and really grateful to you legends who are posting inspirational TT lap times and showing what I can aim for, Hopefully I can work out how to see some of your set-ups in good time.

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. Maser V6

Maser V6 Assume nothing._ Verify everything._Have fun AMS2 Club Member

Love the video thanks again for the link. great driving just love the Lotus, such a mental powerband.
    Theres one thing a sim cant simulate (unless anyone else has experience of this) is
    The loosening of ones bottom muscles (almost s---t myself) when things are about to go wrong and its then corrected. :)

Last edited: May 10, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Eric Bergeron

Eric Bergeron New Member AMS2 Club Member

Oh ! it's happen to me too , but i am not sure if it was at Kyalami . Very intriguing this issue. It could be there for me too , i practiced pretty often on this track, I will check today, i am curious about it... o_O

• Like Like x 1
  6. mrsmr2

mrsmr2 Member

Just tried F-V G2M1 at Brands. This can't be right:
    • The slower you go the more understeer you get
    • Brakes work fine for the first few corners and then lock up around 50% pressure even at high speed going uphill
    • Gears can be changed without clutch as long as no revs are being applied
    • And like many cars in AMS2 flooring the throttle magically makes the rears instantly lose grip enabling you to make the turn that you weren't going to make
    Is it me?

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. TekNeil

TekNeil Take me back to the 2.4l, twin 50 weber days...

In any (Or most) manual cars you can change gear without using the clutch. But that means letting off throttle at the right time in conjunction with changing gear at the right time (Meshing), and back on throttle at the right time. If it's allowing a gear change while completely off throttle the whole time then it's not quite right, should 'just about' allow a shift to neutral, and then a grinding and refusal to mesh into any other gear.

I hope the previous video isn't showing the fastest method around the track in any case, a slight four wheel drift with bits of opposite lock here and there no problem, but to be on large amounts of opposite lock the whole lap shouldn't be the fastest way. Definitely the most fun way of course but...

8. InfernalVortex

InfernalVortex Active Member

It feels way more unforgiving than Assetto Corsa or Grand Prix Legends back in the day. But for now I’m finding them undriveable mostly due to the shifting. Can someone explain how you’re supposed to shift these? It seems like half my shifts act like missed shifts (have a fanatec H patter shifter). I even changed the clutch to require half it’s normal range, but it seems like you deliberately have to shift super super slow to get it to go in gear. Is that really how this is done or am I missing something? In GPL back in the day clutch wasn’t necessary, just had to blip the throttle as it went into gear but this thing is super sensitive to something. Clutch or no clutch, I’m dropping the rpms just like I do in my own car or on other sims, but it just doesn’t seem to want to shift.

Downshifts seem to work perfectly fine. Clutch or no clutch the downshifting is flawless as long as I heel toe it down. But half the time I upshift quickly it will just bounce off the rev limiter and as soon as it finally engages the gear I of course spin off the road. There has to be something I’m not getting. Maybe I just have to wait a really long time before I get back on the throttle? Just weird because my road car shifts faster than I can shift these, and same for the vintage f1 cars in other games. Am I the only one having trouble?

9. Andy-R

For me the 60's F1 in AC were more tricky in some ways, from what I remember you would not gain momentum so well with tyres spinning or sliding where in AMS 2 you don't need to modulate so much. The V8 in AMS 2 also doesnt have as much power at low rpm as the 49 in AC.

It sounds like you are trying to shift up without releasing the throttle. I like this feature, it stops us from flat shifting, I would like to see it in some of the other cars like the OldStock and maybe Copa Classic B's.

10. mrsmr2

mrsmr2 Member

No rev matching here - literally just moving the stick through the gears with no grinding. Auto clutch is off (confirmed by watching pedals hud).

• Useful Useful x 1
  11. Obizzz

Obizzz Member

I should love these cars but they just didn’t click with me.

On the other hand I didn’t expect to like the Formula Classics as much as I do.

12. Maser V6

Maser V6 Assume nothing._ Verify everything._Have fun AMS2 Club Member

REF Goodwood
    Could not agree more . Had the pleasure of seeing it for myself. Mental car control!
    Steering wheels never stop moving rapidly from L/R even on straights.
    Shelby tribute race awesome. I would recommend saving up and going to any driving/racing fan.
    in car shots on utube a must

• Like Like x 1
  13. InfernalVortex

I only mentioned power shifting because it should theoretically be possible, since it is in a real car, but that doesn’t work in game for these cars. I use normal clutch and throttle technique like in any road car, and in other sims I’ve played. It shifts fine at Sunday drive shifting speed, but when I’m trying to fast about it, it gets really sensitive to getting back on the gas too soon. I guess I’m asking if this lag is normal. It’s just off putting as a big part of racing is getting back on the power as soon as possible.

14. Andy-R

That does sound odd then, maybe some bug with a particular setting or hardware :/ I feel like it shifts instantly for me and I can get back on throttle immediately. I have had that issue in certain cars but it was a physics issue that got fixed. The Ultima GTR road car still has the issue I think.

15. InfernalVortex

I’ll have to try on one of the other h pattern car types and see if it’s common to everything on ams2. The shift is instant, it’s just that the game will register it as a missed shift unless I stay off the throttle what feels like a long time. As soon as I move the shifter it’s definitely out of the old gear.

16. Andy-R

You can full throttle shift most cars. Formula Vee is another one that requires a lift IIRC.

17. 250swb

250swb Active Member

Try lowering the differential coast angle. It is 50% default but lowering it will give more engine braking and help stop the car understeering into the corner.

• Like Like x 2
  18. CrimsonEminence

CrimsonEminence Administrator Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

@mrsmr2
    Caution, this is ackchually(.jpg) not correct.
    The ramp angle is in degrees. This is NOT a percentage. Lowering the ramp angle increases locking of the diff on coast and power! (This means, if you lower the coast angle, you will get a more prone to locking diff under coasting which increases stability and understeer into corners and results in the exact opposite, of what you have recommended to do right now.)
    cldf.jpg
    It's the same, like with pCars2 diff settings:
    [Magic inside!] Need Help With Differentials

• Like Like x 1
  19. David Wright

David Wright Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Had a play with the V-12 non-winged car at Kyalami historic. Put in some setup values based on those used on the Lotus 49 back in 67.

In suspension, change front toe to +0.2, rear toe to +0.4
    reduce rear arb to 4 n/mm

In drivetrain change final drive to 6.467
    turn geared LSD to ON
    Bias Ratio power 3.0:1
    BiasRatio coast 1.5:1
    Clutch pack lsd turn to OFF
    viscous lock reduce to 0 Nm

This isn't about making it quick, just putting in some realistic values to see if I could get the car to feel more like the GPL car. Just a first stab, but seems a bit easier to steer on and off the throttle.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Koala63

Koala63 Member

So David, if these changes are based on the L49, they'd be also applicable to the F-V G1M1?