1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vintage formulas drivability

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Jonathan Spencer, May 3, 2020.

1. David Wright

David Wright Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I've tried again with the 180 degree steering input shown on the video. Again I can't reproduce this. Anyone else tried?

2. Avoletta1977

Avoletta1977 Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Yes, I tired but can't reproduce.

3. InfernalVortex

InfernalVortex Active Member

Maybe it makes a difference that this is a gen 2 vintage? I figured out how to turn on the telemetry hud, so maybe that will help? Now I wonder if the aero modelling of the Gen 2 vintage changes the dynamics a little? I havent tried this with the Gen 1 vintage yet. I also havent touched the differential setup, so if this due to the differential lockup under power, then it should be the same as everyone else's stock setup.

Here's another video of the same behavior as my original, but with the telemetry hud visible:

I have noticed that if I lift off the gas, the car will suddenly start steering properly, and as long as I am accelerating (note this is NOT fast acceleration, this is less than half throttle) it will not grip. I am guessing it's mostly some artifact of the physics engine the way it's programmed and I kind of doubt there will be a good fix that wont interfere with how well these cars handle at speed. But I could be wrong, and none of you guys seem to be able to reproduce it so I'm stumped. You can see smoke in the rear view mirrors when speed gets high enough, so the front tires are definitely sliding along the surface as this happens. Or maybe the rears are spinning judging by the tire temperatures?

Here's a video showing my issues with the shifting, it may just be timing of the clutch, but it just seems so sensitive to it. You can see clutch is being applied, throttle is being removed, but it just wont allow it to go in gear smoothly:

Note at the end when I slow down for the Tosa hairpin, the odd understeer turning behavior shows up, which is how I noticed it in the first place and mentioned it earlier - heading into Tosa in this car. I have thought I somehow locked up the brakes all the way off the track, but looking at this as you can see it's plowing straight ahead with barely any brake applied towards the end as it careens straight off the road. It is probably a little too much speed to make the corner, but I would expect the steering input to have at least some effect there especially since the speed is fairly low.

Last edited: May 13, 2020
    • Informative Informative x 2
  4. CrimsonEminence

CrimsonEminence Administrator Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

It's pretty sensitive, yes. Try to apply throttle a bit later while upshifting, so the clutch will "slip" less often. I also think, the shift timing is still a bit on the sensitive side.^^
    This could be down to the sensitive brakes.
    EDIT:
    Physics will receive some fixes and tweaks, apparently, i've deleted the links to the beta forum section, though. Forgot, that this is a main forum thread ^^'

Last edited: May 13, 2020
  5. mrsmr2

mrsmr2 Member

What’s the summary of that post - for those of us who can’t see the post?

Thanks

6. CrimsonEminence

Oh big SORRY, this is not the beta forum section, i forgot.
    I deleted the links, but basically brake curve, rear tyres of some car classes and the rear diffuser workwise of F-Classic Gen1 will receive fixes.
    Sorry again, i was not being cautious, but it's good news, so i don't think, harm is done here :D

• Like Like x 2
  7. Shadak

Shadak Active Member

lmao thanks for letting out secrets, feel free to show more :)

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. InfernalVortex

Do you think there's any chance they'll loosen up on it just a touch? I think being sensitive is fine, but I feel like this requires way more precision than I can reliably give it.

Since no one else can get the understeer effect going I dont even know what to make of it, but it's annoying getting through Tosa, that's for sure. I have to really commit to trail braking and sliding it around or it just seems to get inconsistent with whether it will turn or not. And let's be honest, Im not a good enough driver to nail that even half the time if I do it that way. I will get lucky every now and then, though, and feel pretty awesome. :D Classic Kyalami is such a blast because even its slowest corner is wide enough you can really hurl it in and drift out of it and have plenty of track real estate to make adjustments.

9. CrimsonEminence

It's not really a secret, that Reiza keeps working on the Sim :D
    It's not, that this was any hot leak or something ^^' Pls don't say i've ****ed up here :D

10. CrimsonEminence

I don't know. I have no clue about the accuracy of a 67' or similar gearbox...
    Like stated, this looks like the too sensitive braking pressure for me.

11. InfernalVortex

Not quite sure what that means? How do I fix that?

12. CrimsonEminence

Reiza can and it seems, they find a way. :)
    For some users, the brakes are VERY sensitive to modulate since some builds (me included since the Sigma release).

13. InfernalVortex

Turns out you're exactly right! That explains why no one else could reproduce it as well. I decided to play around with the brake dead zone to see if that made a difference and it does!

I decided to add a video of how to fix it in case anyone else stumbles across this issue or some version of it in the future, plus it shows the behavior existing then disappearing. So... problem solved pretty much.

• Useful Useful x 4
  14. CrimsonEminence

Whot the actual... :eek:
    Okay, let's wait for the upcoming brake curve tweaks then, i think.

@Renato Simioni Are the brakes applying a bit under active brake deadzone setting? It almost looks like that in this video?

15. Damian Baldi

Damian Baldi Active Member

I bought the game last week and immediately went on track with these cars (G1). I find the general behaviour of the cars fine, it's what I was looking for as I have been an online racer since GPL, but some things look wrong from the physics point of view. I have been working on RF2 physics for some years and I find two things a bit out of place.

First one is the understeer at low speed, I tried it pushing the cluch to let the transmision free but it feels like driving on ice, the front of the car keeps going forward even a 5 km/h with the steering wheel full turned a side. Another test about low speed grip, was to try to get out of the grass. I got stuck in a flat section of grass and it was impossible to go back to the track, even being very gently with the throttle.

The second thing that I find rare, is the inertia of the horizontal axle. This is in general, it happens with all the different cars I tried. The rear of the cars feels too heavy in comparison with the rest of the car, even with the front engined cars. That helps to loose the cars too easy when you release the throttle while going into a corner. At least that's my perception, could be something about tire grip while in a transition.

Beside that, the cars are magnificent, I can't wait to have some online races and later get more cars.

• Agree Agree x 3
  16. Shadak

Shadak Active Member

I think the diff is odd on those cars, even if you make the Clutched LSD as open as possible, it doesnt seem to be enough. The geared one on the other hand feels much better even though its not as smooth on transition.

• Informative Informative x 1
  17. Mike Kadlcak

Mike Kadlcak Member AMS2 Club Member

I think so too... the diff was all over the place throwing me left and right on the straight last time i test these cars. If that makes sense. :p

• Informative Informative x 1
  18. Damian Baldi

About the diff, it seems that you can turn on both kind at the same time. I assume that the second one is the one that works, because how it feels compared with the LDS.

Some parameters increases in very small numbers. In example, camber looks good, with 1 degree per click, but on the diff the numbers are very small. The increment should be fine if it's 1.0 or 5.0 better than the current 0.1 per click.

19. Shadak

Shadak Active Member

Yeah the LSDs should overwrite each other.

What do you mean about the increments? on clutched LSD, the angles (26-89 etc) are actually the most "realistic" version as thats how its setup on actual diffs.

20. Damian Baldi

On the Clutch LSD I think the range is ok, as you pointed it. I was talking about the steps, on the Clutch LSD it's 1 per click. On the Geared LSD the steps are 0.1 per click.

It's that specific in real life?