1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Automobilista 2 Force Feedback - Overview & Recommendations

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Renato Simioni, Apr 4, 2020.

1. RoccoTTS

RoccoTTS Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I just tested with the new default and i definitely can feel the scrub effects with fx at 100.

2. Karsten Hvidberg

Karsten Hvidberg Well-Known Member

On breaking lose?
    Or only on full on 90 degree slides?
    What about wheel spin?

I don't get anything at all on breaking lose/just over the limit & on spinning the wheels(required traction control off)

3. Karsten Hvidberg

Ok, tried it, so it seems that it now does not happen on spinning the wheels & on "just over the limit".

So those are my major gripes right now.
    I can't tell when over the limit other than from the countering of the wheel.
    No effect there at all.

4. Shadak

Shadak Active Member

isnt scrub only applied to front wheels? On rear wheelspin, my pedals vibrate instead. And oversteer pulls on wheel and in some situation gets lighter, plus the jumpy rubber when it gets sideways. Imo this is what I consider fairly realistic in terms of feedback.

I tried a new custom file, only changed scrub scale to 30 and on lockup compared to new default, my wheel vibrates like crazy. Default has it there but fairly subtle.

5. NuScorpii

NuScorpii Well-Known Member

I can see what you mean. When driving with just the scrub effect, it is very rare that it actually gives any feedback. So I've been tweaking more (and using recon 0 in TD) and think I've come up with something that would make you happy. Make the following changes to your custom ffb:

(scrub_scale 30.0)

(FL_scrub (scoop FL_scrub 0.5 0.98))
    (FR_scrub (scoop FR_scrub 0.5 0.98))

Or try the attached file.

This makes the scrub much more noticeable and comes in during cornering and power on understeer. It makes enough of a difference that I can drive on just the scrub feedback. Might need further tweaking, let me know what you think.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  6. OlaN

OlaN Member

Del

Last edited: May 16, 2020
  7. Karsten Hvidberg

I am actually not 100% sure since I can't run the old version.
    But it used to be obvious when driving over the limit. I think it
    Awesome, will try. One sec.
    Did you try the LFB fix?
    To me it makes a huge difference.

8. Shadak

Shadak Active Member

Yes my Fanatec V3 throttle vibrates when I do a burnout

• Like Like x 2
  9. OlaN

OlaN Member

Deleted

10. Shadak

Shadak Active Member

Holy crap, scale isnt enough but when I added the scoop change this is amazing! I can now feel the limit getting close, wow.

• Like Like x 2
  11. RoccoTTS

RoccoTTS Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I tested a bit more and you don't get the scrub effect as some kind of warning when losing grip, but only when the tires have a bigger angle, but a lot earlier than 90 degrees. Also no scrub effect when having wheel spin.

12. Karsten Hvidberg

NuScorpii!

YES!!!!
    This is just awesome!

I combined it with my LFB fix & now it is just a dream come true!

DD users should def. use this one, at least until new improvements come from Reiza. WAY better than current old/new defaults on v. 0.9.2.1!!
    It simply is stunning.

Thanks to you, NuScorpii!
    (the LFB fix is the lesser important piece in it, but still a huge improvement too)

Attached is the combined file,

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 5
    • Useful Useful x 2
  13. Shadak

Shadak Active Member

I reduced scale to about 13, it still scrubs but isnt as pronounced as 30 which made it too much foe normal driving.

I tried the LFB trick but it reduces the road feel ans ondulation a lot around center.

14. Karsten Hvidberg

Remember that with the Lfb fix you can turn up the Lfb and FX together to enhance the "real" road feel, as you will no longer get the very bad centering effect from setting high Lfb

Besides it's not the road feel the Lfb trick reduces, it is the fake Lfb road noise caused by the Lfb making low forces around the center feel like road noise.
    The real road noise you get by turning up Fx and Lfb, when using the Lfb fix.

The fake Lfb road noise is easy to tell apart from the "real" road noise. If you turn the wheel you feel it go away, since the Lfb does not fight left/right anywhere else. The "real" road noise is there also when turning slightly.

An additional and 3rd benefit from the Lfb fix is that the jumping between stones road feel that is present on some wheel bases/road/car combinations go away too or is way less pronounced. So seems like the Lfb applied to the rack forces contributed "greatly" to that.

To me that's also a big win.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Jebus

Jebus The Lying Finn AMS2 Club Member

@Karsten Hvidberg , really liking your custom file. Ability to crank up the LFB really did the trick. Thanks!

• Like Like x 2
  16. YoLolo69

YoLolo69 Active Member

@NuScorpii and @Karsten Hvidberg you nailed it! I used this custom FFB file and now for the first time I know what the scrubbing effect is! I can feel it pretty well on limit in curve. It was what I expected without feeling it until now. I encourage others to test it as it's easy to switch from New Default and Custom even on the fly through few click, so you immediately feel the difference switching between both. I retrieved also the feeling when braking and sliding, great!
    That give me hope that Devs find a good way to implement this and tune it in the New Default :)

Many thanks for your work both of you ! :)

Edit : to be complete I repeat what I already said : With "New Default" whatever FX and LFB and Gain I set I can't feel any scrub effects and can't feel sliding/vibrating/losing grip when I brake hard or accelerate hard. With this new custom ffb file all those effects are here.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. shushkata

shushkata New Member

I am really intrigued. Testing on my T300, the improvement is really fascinating, All cars i ran were much more dynamic and more predictable somehow. One think that i don't really understand is the actual difference between LFB 0-100 %. With 0% all is more like the New Default, but adding even 1-2% i start to notice the tire scrubbing and the wheel gets lighter. I am not entirely sure, but with a really high value i think i start to loose the feeling of the weight transfer of the car and all i am concentrating are the tires and the dynamic grip (lost or present) they experience.

18. Shadak

Shadak Active Member

I cant drive with the altered LFB sadly, feel like its missing something cant put my finger on it but decided to sacrifice a bit of center stickiness and not mess with the LFB output in custom. The scrub is great though!

19. Goffik

Goffik Well-Known Member

You shouldn't be running a really high value for LFB, otherwise it does what you said... overwhelms other forces. It's suppose to make low, subtle forces more noticeable on wheels that don't have the range so try to keep it as low as you can. I'm also on T300 and keep LFB between 20-30 most of the time.

The FX slider determines the scrub effects.

20. shushkata

shushkata New Member

You are right, lower is better. I have modified the FFB_Profile returning the road feel in the center. Also added a bit more minimal force to the wheel - 6/7% as those were my findings for most other games. With the feel of the scrub, all is much more pleasant. I hope the devs will look into it and implement it. I really hate the fact that all Effects are hidden behind one slider and you don't have the option to tweak them as seen fit. It will be great to have - Scrub / Road / Curbs / Understeer as separate options. This way setting the main multiplier - LFB will be the main point and than you can fine tune what you need / find useful. .

• Agree Agree x 6