1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Weather Setting underused options?. Have you raced in High wind's?

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Maser V6, May 10, 2020.

1. Maser V6

Maser V6 Assume nothing._ Verify everything._Have fun AMS2 Club Member

Thread started for Weather and livetrack . Feel free to add images, video with comments.

I would like to hear from any one that has tried any of the many options in weather settings, ie high wind's.
    Most from what I have seen, myself included. I may add a splash and dash of rain /haze/ sun to try the
    Livetrack at various time increments ie x40 and found this was superb in PC2 and also AM2 naturally.
    PC2 had great Aquaplane effect, & apex puddles.
    I have yet to try high winds, such as affect real life esp f1 (circuit of America Rosberg at T1 a few years back controversial loss of position if i recall) 1 of many wind affect f1 races.
    How do the Ai cope ? maybe they just ignore and speed away?
    Laptimes affected with headwind?
    Jerk affect in ffb with 1 front and rear wheel in deep and at speed.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2021
  2. ohyeah2389

ohyeah2389 It's The Little Things

I think the puddle drag is a bit too much, but otherwise the rain feels quite good. Wish they gave us more options for rubber level, marbles/dirt level, wetness level etc, as well as temperature control.

3. Maser V6

Thanks for your response. rain is good, weather in this game and pc2 tip top. with time increment even better

I have just done some testing and for me I think (on the specific sessions) the "snatch" the steering wheel gets when ie front right hits big puddle at speed lacks serious power.
    I remember it often from real life.
    First memory is one I will take with me to the box in the ground!! At night motorway very little traffic fortunately.
    The force at 80 ish mph tries to wrench the steering away from the desired direction is a real attention grabber!.
    latest test today has just gone online.
    Wish that Sigma had Lights (pls devs)
    The video is a test.
    Of: AI proximity reaction, aquaplane effect, on me and Ai they just seem to drive right through with no corrective steering (in replay cockpit v) or slow down too much, I will crank up the skill level and aggression in next test.
    I made several mistakes including spin on last lap!!! 3 spins or more perhaps.
    it is a good way to learn corrective steering with power for me.
    Jenson Buttons father never had enough money for new tyres so Jenson learned on worn boots in the wet in his early days. he is know for his talent in the wet as you probably know.
    Thanks

4. ohyeah2389

ohyeah2389 It's The Little Things

I agree, the FFB effect isn't large enough but having driven through big puddles in karts in real life (and road cars obv) the drag on the car itself is a bit much. And the sigma doesn't have lights? Come on! Next update should be fun...

Ever since GTR2 I've wanted a sim with good rain physics. ACC's are pretty good, but this is set to surpass it. PC2's physics theory and Reiza's competence and experience should make this the best sim ever (asides from the moddability thing, but whatevs).

• Like Like x 1
  5. Maser V6

Thanks for your response
    Nice to know you can compare kart experience irl with kart here nothing like real life and sim comparison thanks. Hope this turns into an interesting thread.
    I think and hope peoples answers/experiences with feedback will aid in evaluation of ams2 before release of v1.00
    re update
    And wipers please!!! all in good time.
    Q to all.
    IRL what would happen if throttle held wide open over full width puddle like on the straight in vid, some laps I eased off and coasted others full throttle, very little difference to me on or off.
    In real life I ease off, I would not have the nuts or stupidity(imo) to full throttle it.?
    Open Question.

6. Maser V6

with you on the marbles, rubber, temps
    Temps in pc2 did make difference winter/spring/ summer /autumn. but that was it.

7. F1Aussie

F1Aussie Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I hope Reiza are able to improve on the PC2 rain worms that are present.

8. Maser V6

Same hear. Sure they will, bigger things at the moment will come first.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Maser V6

Storm Setting
    Has anyone Used the Storm option yet, if so what are thoughts on the severity of the Storm.?
    How long was the session?
    Did the storm change much during the session, what happened?
    How large were the/any puddles?

10. Mahjik

Mahjik Active Member

Just to note, I'm not sure what changes Reiza have done in this area. With PC2, the initial ground saturation is random when selecting a rain session (when it's starts already raining, not transitioning from dry to rain). What this means is that it may be some what random how fast puddles form.

11. Maser V6

This I what seems to be happening (a good thing) in the test sessions I have carried out with more to follow. Using the Sigma vs Duratec as starting point. Testing is done with several intentions.
    1st have some Fun /pleasure. (for me it is)
    2nd To improve my driving wet or dry in this case wet. (never tried a skid pan).
    3. Improve reaction time. (ref your point the puddles do indeed vary on development even though start was just " restart session" The improved reaction times are coming faster than testing dry least not for the fact after a few laps apex can be forgotten due to the changing depth, which leads to the decision whats the driver, AI in this case in front is going to do and where am to go?
    .The Ai so far in ea and beta have a disadvantage here, from my results.
    Upping the stakes in the ai favour to there maximum setting. 120/100
    10 and 15 lap. field of 10/20 varied test.
    This will I think confirm my pre conclusion.
    In the heaviest rain setting "Rain" thunder storm,x2 clear the ai may fail to win and can in fact be lapped.. as I almost did on my last lap of 10. ai set at 80/60.
    4 Feedback to devs if req.
    Car I used is default including tyres, only fuel adjusted. To set benchmark to work from.
    initial test with duratec it won hands down.
    Sigma with its turbo lag reqs different approach.

Last edited: May 16, 2020
  12. Maser V6

The ai have since the ai last post by me been improved, and my pre conclusion thankfully
    will be will be wrong.
    Thanks Reiza ai are now much harder to beat in wet/very wet.
    Lights on the Sigma tip top.

13. tpw

tpw Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Some AI are simply impossible to beat in the wet. E.g Caterham Superlight continue to maintain dry levels of grip in rain as the player's tyres cool off and the grip plummets. No amount of throttle and line adjustment can compensate.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Maser V6

Hi tpw, thanks for that I have yet to try any of the cats, best not for me to try my favorite then the 620!!.
    I am still (hooked) on Sigma p1 vs Duratec "on the limit" vids, ai in this case at Kaya historic seem better of the line and hold less of a procession up to turn 1. 1 of them yesterday had a light tap from another. They used to leave a huge gap down the middle, (now sometimes they block ,I see a a plus)
    Their old decision would be to apex at T1 deep puddle and cause a jam, they still do but not so bad. The test have been done on default for me as a baseline apart from fuel, so yes I also have cold tyre issue, they as you say seem to "maintain dry levels of grip" little effect. I would still like to see 1or 3 at the very least go off, get into difficulty whilst dealing with the conditions esp deep puddles. I can only ref my test at this track and take it that with your input also, the ai are a beast to beat.
    Can I ask what:
    Track, difficulty, number of ai your setup/or default.
    Thanks again
    Dave

Last edited: May 17, 2020