1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why are there so much servers with disable setup ability?

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by SaxOhare, May 17, 2020.

1. SaxOhare

SaxOhare Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Isn't a part of the fun,
    Training and qualifying, choosing the setup you want to use?
    I really dislike the servers with setups disabled.

But back to the question, why disable setups?

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Shadak

Shadak Active Member

Its private lobbies for now and I believe its still important to at least have this option, for those who want it. When we create lobbies we have open setup. But I wouldnt go as far as making it the only option honestly.

3. Paul Sutton

Paul Sutton New Member

i guess it is done so all cars run the same no one has a disadvantage if you get the setup wrong.

• Agree Agree x 6
  4. Goffik

Goffik Well-Known Member

To level the playing field, putting everyone in the exact same car. That way driver ability is more likely to win the race rather than whoever spends the most time tweaking settings. It's not an option I use very often when I organise races, but it's nice to have.

• Agree Agree x 7
  5. SaxOhare

all right??
    That's why i don't understand it
    It is an advantage for those who like the default setups,
    an a disadvantage for those who get their setups right.
    nice sim-racing..
    I can live with it, but think it's a shame, i'll pass these lobbies

• Like Like x 1
  6. kodnin

kodnin Active Member AMS2 Club Member

That's one way of putting it. You could also consider it a great equalizer. Now it all comes down to race craft.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Shadak

Shadak Active Member

This is a very weird complaint. Almost all sims that offer setups have a possiblity of a fixed setup lobby, including iracing :) dont think it would be good to disable this option...

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. Marius H

Marius H Internal Beta Tester Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

Fixed setups are probably there, because:

1. Exploits; like the hard tyre week ago
    2. So make sure every car is the same and it's all about talent and such
    3. The disadvantage is probably someone who knows how to setup and has the talent for it is handicapped by it.
    4. People buying setups from others; you can buy and sub to setups in iRacing which is competition distortion.

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. Goffik

Goffik Well-Known Member

Well no, it isn't. Making a setup can take hours of testing before an event, time which many people simply do not have. Or they don't understand what most of the setup options do which means they're unable to make a working setup at all.

So fixing the setup to default makes it "fair" for everyone, because everyone is driving the same car with the same settings, and nobody has any advantages granted by the time they have available or the engineering knowledge they have. That's a level playing field.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Twinz

Twinz Member

Default setups is usually an effort to make the race a *driving* contest.

11. newtonpg

newtonpg Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Ok guys, I read the reasons why you prefer fixed setups period.
    This is EA and from my POV we're not here for the win but to have some fun while giving our contributions to the developers.
    I by myself am waiting desperately for the dedi servers.

Last edited: May 17, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  12. TekNeil

TekNeil Take me back to the 2.4l, twin 50 weber days...

Horses for courses as Goffik says. If you want to run with all cars being equal, and seeing what the drivers can do with any particular car, then fixed setup allows that.
    If you want to tune to the eighth degree to find tenths, then you have that option too.
    I used to run many online open lobbies that had open setups, sadly there were a few exploits that some did and did not know about, I used to love setting cars up before then.

But then I found league racing with fixed setups, felt much better knowing where we all stood. And meant not spending hours on end to get the absolute best out of a single car, going into races unsure if you'd got something wrong, or others found something right etc.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Andy-R

Andy-R Active Member AMS2 Club Member

This kind of server info (along with things like realism settings) should be visible at the server list screen so people can see it and choose to join/avoid as they please. I did host fixed setup once IIRC but can't remember if brake pressure was still allowed... I don't think it was but it should be IMO.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Remco Majoor

Remco Majoor TCLF AMS2 Club Member

simply to avoid this:

Open setup should be more of a thing with more serious races. For casual jump in a drive racing, it's better to just have the basics that everyone understands (brake bias/pressure and wing).

What happened in that video, was that I made a setup for kyalami historic for a TT. (set it up all for top speed, but to still have stability in the turns) and then the beta test race happened where people didn't have a set. That setup was 2 seconds a lap quicker, just because it was better in top speed, and more stable in the few turns.

• Like Like x 1
  15. SaxOhare

If you have a good setup and don't make mistakes, you earn the win, why do you want to avoid it?

Having a good setup, making no mistakes, track-knowledge, knowing where to break,etc are ingredients for making a race.why would leaving out the setups make a better race? to many factors
    perhaps on a track without bends.
    Are you also waiting for someone who runs in to the grass?

16. NuScorpii

NuScorpii Well-Known Member

Because some people want to their driving to matter more than the setup. There are plenty of people who just want to jump in and race without spending large amounts of time learning to setup the car, especially while the game is still early access and the physics and setups are likely to change. The last release required you to reset the car setups to default again because of core changes. Many people don't want the faff.

If you're a competent driver you should be able to race on the default setups as well as with a custom setup. If you don't like that start your own lobby.

17. Remco Majoor

Remco Majoor TCLF AMS2 Club Member

Just look at the video I posted one post before you. Most tracks in combination with a lot of cars setup doesn't matter a lot (unless you get it completely wrong), but there are tracks where you need a very specific setup. Usually practice/q sessions in public servers are like 15 minutes long. In that time you can't get that setup to work as well as when you have an hour of setting up. With the video I showed, the setup mattered 2 seconds, and it was hard to get it stable whilst having that top speed.

I'll explain it again: "Open setup should be more of a thing with more serious races. For casual jump in a drive racing, it's better to just have the basics that everyone understands (brake bias/pressure and wing)"

• Like Like x 1
  18. muz_j

muz_j Active Member

...exactly. I expect this to be in the game by version 1.0. There is no reason at all for it not to be, as Pcars 2 has that stuff visible within the lobby for a particular session (server or p2p).
    It's something that's very obviously missing right now, but I'd assume the developers are well aware of it...

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. muz_j

muz_j Active Member

I generally agree with your sentiments, but appreciate others have their own opinions. You get the same thing on most of the racing sim's on PC. My approach is to skip lobbies that don't allow custom setups, as it makes a big difference to me personally. I had an instance about an hour ago where I joined a lobby and found all the settings locked, so just a did a couple of quick practise laps to test the car with a default setup, then exited prior to the event.

...it's really a personal preference thing and some people like setups locked down and default and others like to tweak them - so each to their own :)

Last edited: May 19, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. Chin

Chin Member AMS2 Club Member

...setups are used as an excuse for losing, so people think they will win if they have fixed setups. Somehow, not making small tweaks to account for the track/conditions and having to drive a compromised vehicle is better. :eek:

I am fine with the option, but this is another example of people defaulting to a restrictive limitation because of feelings similar to the statement above...and we end up with most selections requiring fixed setups.

My $0.02 obviously. :whistle: