1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Increased CPU usage 0.9.2.1?

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by tpw, May 18, 2020.

1. tpw

tpw Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Is anyone else noticing dramatically increased CPU usage with the latest 0.9.2.1 update? Is it related to the HDR lighting?

I used to run basically everything maxed at 1080p and the CPU usage hovered between 50-60%. With the latest update and the exact same settings it ranges between 60-90% and occasionally maxes at 100% leading to stutters - the first time I've seen them in AMS2. This happens even with the car idling on the side of the track. GPU usage is roughly the same.

• Like Like x 1
  2. deadly

deadly Well-Known Member

I noticed stuttering when AI pits during races in latest version (every pit entry leads to one short stutter). When many AI pit, the stuttering makes the game unplayable on my system, no matter which graphic options I choose. Did not happen before in V 9.1.0

3. Rafa Fleury

Rafa Fleury Member AMS2 Club Member

Yes, fps went down considerably.

4. muz_j

muz_j Active Member

I am not noticing anything like that at all.

Do you have an example of a track and car combination ? How many AI cars do you typically run ?

I'm happy to record a demo race and throw it on Youtube with my GPU's on screen display enabled, which shows CPU, GPU and memory usage. I just had a quick play and it all looks pretty normal and low - mid level utilisation on both the CPU and GPU. I'm running an overclocked i7 2600K (old, but it still does the trick) and an overclocked 6GB GTX 1060, with 16 GB of RAM and running 1080p with most settings on Ultra and a couple turned down a notch that I'm not worried about. So pretty similar spec's & settings to your PC.

Screen grab your graphics settings too if you want someone to do a valid comparison, with settings as close to yours as possible.

1) are you applying any additional settings to the game through the Nvidia graphics driver ?
    2) did you reset your game config after the last update ?
    -> re: the config, I just deleted my AMS 2 user profile folder as I'd made minimal changes and it's still obviously pre-release. The last version release notes had comments to the effect of resetting your config settings for changes to the FFB etc.

5. tpw

tpw Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Thanks very much for your time, much appreciated. I initially experienced it running sv8 at Kyalami, and it persisted after loading different cars and tracks. I checked and there were no other processes hogging the cpu. I quit the game and posted this whinge. Subsequent game loads had normal cpu usage.

Some time later I loaded the game and got the same cpu hogging. Here’s the thing, when I tried to alt tab to the desktop to fiddle with my RTSS settings, AMS wouldn’t let me. I quit the game and the next time I loaded it the cpu usage was normal. But I was also able to alt tab normally. It seems that every now and then the game runs in a way that is not alt tab friendly, and this also results in high cpu usage. Not sure if anyone else has experienced it or if it’s a vagary of my system.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Peter Stefani

Peter Stefani Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Just as a point of reference, I'm getting 45% CPU and 99% GPU with 100FPS on average. i7-8750H/1070-Max_Q-8GB ram. No V-Sync, 2560x1440/144Hz G-Sync monitor.