1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ease...anyone else?

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Cfst, May 19, 2020.

1. Twinz

Twinz Member

"Harder" doesn't mean "real..er".

I have only spent time in the Caterham Superlight lately, but it seems to handle "believably".

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Cfst

Cfst Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Uh. Yeah.

Nor does easier mean more realistic...

But my point is that some of these cars are unquestionably stable when they shouldn't be...

• Agree Agree x 4
  3. Twinz

Twinz Member

What is your point of reference (For what the real cars should drive like), and for which cars?

Last edited: May 19, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Shadak

Shadak Active Member

I did some tests to specifically try to notice "ease" of handling. In most cars, at race pace, there seems to be this ideal range where they do seem really nice to handle, like after the initial warmup until the brakes and mainly tires start to go a little. But isnt that what it is like in real racing? You have this window where the car is perfect (and setup to be nice and balanced) but with degradation you have to be more and more careful? I also did an online race just now and after some 6 or so laps I definitely started to notice more people going off their lines and even track.

5. john Ellis

john Ellis The Rectifier of Names AMS2 Club Member

My answer to the question, "Do the cars drive differently since the most recent update, and do they now drive more similarly to how they drove several weeks ago?" is the following:

Yes, inasmuch as many of the cars (i.e., those cars this member has tested) are now notably more stable when driven than they were since first switching to the "New Default" FFB settings (on April 24), despite my own FFB settings not changing at all across the intervening weeks. In short, cars in AMS2 appear to me to be about as stable or "easy" to drive now as they were with the "Old Default" FFB settings--but with notably improved, more subtle physics and FFB effects thanks to Reiza's updates over the past several weeks.

Last edited: May 20, 2020
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. Cfst

seems to be the more common opinion at the moment.

7. Cfst

great but I did not really ask that. I was asking if anyone else has experienced cars being stable when they shouldn't be, especially despite leaving the driver aids off in the gameplay menu.

8. hereforthat51

hereforthat51 Member AMS2 Club Member

Comparing a single car between RF2, AMS1 and AMS2. The Freiza vs the FISI2012.
    I've already noticed 2 clear differences, this and this.
    But I don't consider any of the three cars realistic enough based on a F1 fan's impressions (which of course means very little when it comes to judge it).
    But the three cars are equally easy (with those two exceptions) to drive and much better than the F138 in AC1 IMHO.
    So in the end AMS2/1's and RF2's cars are the less worse available at the moment.

9. Angelo

Angelo New Member AMS2 Club Member

Compare with AMS1, it is the best reference I can have.
    And when I do that, I get the feeling that the AMS2 has a lot to improve on the physics of tires and FF.
    Hoping that Simione and Reiza will be able to leave AMS2, at least equal to AMS1, in FF and tire physics.

10. Simmo99x

Simmo99x Active Member

Coming from a fair few years of experience of driving race cars/track cars, even fast road cars, i can assure you that driving is easy, driving fast is hard.
    I would go to say that a lot of sim racers have been led up the garden path in terms of grip levels in most games, and believe that a game is realistic if it's hard to drive.
    Real life cars have so much lateral grip that even at stupid speeds on turn in the front end will usually still grip, followed by the rear coming round, followed by crashing backwards into the wall lol...
    It's what frustrates me about most games is the entire lack of any grip, ACC,I racing,raceroom, just have nothingclose in terms of realistic grip levels.
    After all my van will grip at 100kph through a bend, on road tyres on a crap road, so a race car on stupid wide slicks and a pristine track will have more grip than you can throw a stick at.
    I would say enjoy AMS 2 or Rfactor2 because they are leaps and bounds in front, in terms of tyre model/physics/ffb etc.
    And AMS 2 is only going to get better, with time i can guarantee this game/with the right licensing will be right up there...

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
  11. tk84

tk84 Member AMS2 Club Member

Guess there's a couple of points here. Firstly, yes latest build definitely does feel different to drive, certainly some changes to the physics and yes I'd agree that on the whole there is a certain amount of edginess removed from the handling.

As to whats 'right' or at least most 'realistic', theres a degree of personal preference there, yes it feels slightly 'easier' to drive, but then is it also just the case that before there was too little grip in situations that was equally unrealistic?..

Its is interesting that they've been able to make a reasonably pronounced change to the way the cars feel at this stage in development, and certainly with the FFB development theres definitely been a bit of back and forward in terms of feel, so I'd like to think that theres still some balancing to do and we'd end up somewhere in the middle - I still personally feel that some things have maybe gone a bit too far 'the other way' in terms of handling - some situations seem maybe a bit too forgiving currently

12. John Hargreaves

John Hargreaves Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

The sweet sound of a nail being hit squarely on the head ;)

• Agree Agree x 3
  13. bobbie424242

bobbie424242 Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I'm glad the old era of "driving on ice" physics dear to many simracers is over.
    As other said, driving most cars is easy but driving the fast is hard. And if driving them fast is easy for you, you are either an alien or not fast enough.

• Agree Agree x 4
  14. Cfst

Good thing I'm no sim racer!

I tried to give some specific examples, albeit scattered through the thread, but the rear not coming around when it should is definitely something I noticed.

Okay. Thank you..

Last edited: Jun 8, 2020
  15. Cfst

no garden path has been followed from my side ;)

Interesting that the assumption here is I was saying difficulty = realism... I did try giving some specific examples, granted not in the OP. Maybe I am not communicating properly, but essentially I noticed cars stability at times when a loss of grip would or should have been experienced. Obviously I considered this quite confusing, especially when all driver aids are set to off within the gameplay sub-menu.

I see I am in the minority here. Maybe the majority think this is in my head. ;)

16. John Hargreaves

John Hargreaves Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I came across a thing where there are times when SC gets stuck on even when you have turned it off in the main menu, and you have to click it off from the assigned button, I wonder if it might be that? It certainly gave me a 'huh?' moment or two before I figured it out.
    Glad to hear you aren't saying hard+no grip=realistic, that's just silly :), but your OP did come across that way to me. Sorry for any misunderstanding.

• Winner Winner x 1
  17. Cfst

I will give this a shot, fingers crossed

18. NuScorpii

NuScorpii Well-Known Member

Interesting you mention that. I did notice something very similar after removing the AMS2 documents folder for the new patch. The first cars I test are the Caterham 620R and Ultima GTR at Brands GP and for a while I was convinced there was some SC control on. I don't have a button mapped though and annoyingly there isn't any visual feeback to see if it's on or not. I went in to the menu and turned it on and off a few times and tried again and there was a definite difference. No more light traction control out of the corners. Didn't think about it again though until you mentioned it here.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. alink

alink Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I don't have race car experience but I get some driving experience in safe driving training with my personal car. I was wondering how much grip a street car has and that you can get much more out of the car than you / I think, especially lateral grip. So, as mentioned above, I also think driving a race car isn't difficult, driving it fast, this is difficult and needs a good driving and car control. Just think about the best and the worst driver in a classification. The time differents is not hours, minutes or > 10 seconds, often it's only 1 or 2 seconds on a track with about 5 km. How long is a second?? Just doing a small mistake on track, you will loose about 0.5s suddenly. And how big was this mistake? Braking 1m too late! So, if just racing a race car should be difficult, than I have to be 30 - 60 seconds per lap slower than the best driver till I get more and more experience. And that's not the case.
    I also asked myself if the difficulty is realistic. At the moment, I think lateral grip could be but longitudinal grip is a little bit too much. I think, getting wheel spin or locking brakes is very hard. It feels like a perfect track with max grip and hyper-super-soft-tyres. With that, I don't really agree. Perhaps the reason is that tracks have the best condition and changing track quality, like it's in AMS1, isn't implemented till know (or is it?).
    The only strange thing is, all cars are good and ease for JUST driving except the classic G1 in rain. This is a little bit too extreme (especially on throttle, cornering and braking is OK), IMO.
    All in all, it musn't be more difficult but I'm missing more challenge to have the car under control. AMS1 does this good, so I hope / think we will get this in AMS2, too.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Cfst

I tried to touch on this earlier but people assumed I am a ploeb sitting in front of my computer :)

It has however now come to light, thanks to a few posts above, that there may be an issue with some driver aids being STUCK ON, and need to be cycled on/off a few times to indeed remain off. I will have to attempt tonight.