1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Automobilista 2 Force Feedback - Overview & Recommendations

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Renato Simioni, Apr 4, 2020.

1. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Internal Tester AMS2 Club Member

Thanks! However, I am going to wait to spend time testing the new official latest FFB update coming this evening in pre-beta. But I will be happy to be a test mule now and again for these custom files, especially if it helps you guys refine them.

• Like Like x 2
  2. YoLolo69

YoLolo69 Active Member

They should add internally a +1 at the LFB value as it's probably a multiplier for low force, so 1 should be the minimum in any case. That could explain why 0 remove all (n x 0 = 0)...

3. Dean Ogurek

Dean Ogurek "Love the Simulation You're Dreaming In." AMS2 Club Member

Yeah, I feel the same. I want Reiza to succeed with great universal FFB for the majority of users but, some of us are likely to want something outside the norm too.

I like how the FFB feels with the hi-downforce cars but, I feel like others need more intensity in terms of cornering force / sense of grip loss. A per-car FFB gain might help with wheels that offer more margin (torque) though.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Marc Collins

Really--you find the forces on the high down force cars (modern F1 from V10 onward) balanced? One of the only complaints I have is that those cars have too little FFB from the mechanical grip relative to the amount of FFB from the aero grip, which is fine. In other words, overall strength level is OK, it's just the relative/internal weighting balance that is underwhelming.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Dean Ogurek

Dean Ogurek "Love the Simulation You're Dreaming In." AMS2 Club Member

You make a good point regarding the balance of mechanical grip vs aero through the FFB. I haven't analyzed it through that particular lens but, I'm interested to see what's new in the next build.

6. AndreiC

AndreiC Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Same here I just cannot enjoy those cars fot the same reason, for example at Interlagos if I set my FFB to be k in the first 3 corner by the 4th is already a little to much and in 6th and 7th corner I need to hold on to my office desk :)). I really hope Reiza will balance the FFb we did not have these problems in AMS 1.

7. Marc Collins

Possibly a step forward in the pre-beta for tomorrow's beta. It's definitely not worse!

In reality, i think it is just a scaling issue since the cars with less aero feel fine. When you have such massive down force, and you want everyone's wheels from a plastic toy to a super powerful DD to be able to experience the thrill of the heavy feedback from the wheel in high-speed corners. For me, the F-V12 is almost perfect. The F-Ultimate is not bad. The F-V10, even with some updates, is still not there, although it is definitely better. I'm pretty sure if a bunch of us have the same impression (thanks @Dean Ogurek and @AndreiC for confirming), Reiza will already be aware of it and will tweak it as it was perfect (at least for me) in AMS (1).

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Karsten Hvidberg

Karsten Hvidberg Well-Known Member

Really looking forward to the EA version tomorrow (friday)! :)

Meanwhile a small update/fine tuning to keep the custom ffb junkies among us entertained.

"Waiting for friday" version of the terminally ill NuScorpii/Karsten custom ffb file attached:

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. F.Santos

F.Santos Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Karsten, I'm back with the original version of the settings.file and I was wondering, other than moving scales up and down, do you think this file will work just like it does now with the new 9.2?

I really don't have the full programming knowledge to fully understand what I'm changing here, but I assume it only draws the necessary scales from whatever FFB comes with the game right?

Thanks mate!

• Like Like x 1
  10. NuScorpii

NuScorpii Well-Known Member

LOL and I thought you'd declared that was it till the next patch :)

I'd been thinking too (always dangerous) about how it feels a bit odd with having a front wheel scrub vibe but nothing from the rear. So I tried adding in rear scrub too, but using a different oscillation frequency and volume. The idea being that you can discern the difference between front and rear scrub. It is added in with a higher frequency and slightly less volume than front. To be honest, I'm not sure about it. It works, and you can tell the difference, but it is firmly on the side of an artificial effect. Maybe it is helpful in pushing certain things. One thing I did notice more easily was when I was locking the rears on braking and so change the brake balance.

I added the changes to your latest file. (Haven't actually had time to try that one yet, I did these changes last night)

Try it out and let me know what you all think, I'm expecting it to be a bit Marmite. Don't know if tweaking could make it feel better or just not worth pursuing at all...

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 6
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. Karsten Hvidberg

Great idea!
    Not sure why we didn't do that before??

Pick the caterham 620 & floor it, jesus FC! I cannot drive this car again without the rear scrub. Ever! Same for Ultima Race(my fave car).
    I always hated there was no wheel spin scrub on the rear & this does it, so simply an amazing addition bc of that too!

This is now def. the version to use for me!

Happy friday & THANK YOU for thinking!

Oh, if anybody's NOT doing it: Remember to set the game to "authentic" mode or you are losing out on many things big time!

Cheers!

Last edited: May 21, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. Karsten Hvidberg

Hi Santos,

I am not 100% sure what you mean. I will try to respond as I can, but please feel free to correct my assumptions for your question.

I assume you mean for the new version that's not out in EA yet (not 9.2..), right?
    I think the new file will work for that new version, yes, but prob. some tweaking on values will be required, so we feel all the goodness of whatever Reiza has improved too!

In the custom ffb file you can (& we do) do much more than just scale stuff.
    The LFB fix, the scrub effects, the changes depending on speed to both spike feel & effect blends.
    Those are all more than changes to the scales that come with the default settings.
    But hopefully, over time as Reiza improves stuff, it will resort to be as you say, mostly scale values & possibly only a few small additions. It could also happen that they internalize it all even more though, which there unf. are some indications pointing at, in which case we will not be able to neither scale stuff independently nor add other somewhat meaningful effects.

I hope that helps?
    But please do correct me if I did not understand the question correctly?

• Winner Winner x 1
  13. Karsten Hvidberg

A question:

Which cars do you guys think have amazing physics and/or FFB so far?

To me the
    * Ultimas (I prefer to drive the race version, but both FEEL insane)
    * GT5
    * P1's
    * Possibly some lower formula vee or trainer.

are by far the best feeling cars to drive. I might even say I think the Ultima Race is the #1 in the FFB aspect of all sim cars I have ever driven when using the custom ffb files posted here. RF2 gets VERY close with many cars. AMS1 might be better, not sure, I'm on VR so not been doing it enough to know.

And we are not even close to the end of the physics/FFB fixes road with Reiza yet!

But are there other cars in AMS2 that are at that same crazy level that I am missing? or do you completely disagree & feel that the above mentioned cars are rubbish?

14. F.Santos

F.Santos Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Spot on Karsten, that was exactly what I wanted to know. I am not sure in terms of realism, but this file really gives that mental ideal feel through the wheel for me. Thanks for the reply!

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Shadak

Shadak Active Member

I actually think almost all the cars have awesome FFB except for the feel of some of the fast modern Formula. I dont believe they could be so light on the bumps as they feel they are.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Karsten Hvidberg

100% agree.
    For added FFB realism (incl the required additional sensations we need bc of missing gforces etc.) we need more of the hard ground work from Reiza that they are currently working hard at, it seems! So if they continue that for quite a while on/off they are aiming at "kings of ffb" at least. I hope they also will put in the hours in the physics department over the long haul. To me that is fundamentally more important & it's simply not there yet, imho.
    It's like the FFB is the junkie fix that will make everybody happy at first, and put a smile on our faces when feeling the wheel driving, but long term we will appreciate the meat & carrots too :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Karsten Hvidberg

Considering divorcing and quitting jobs so I can do Ultima race/Ibarra all day long, every day :)
    So there's one suggestion if not done it yet.
    But really Ultima race/any track is a good combo...

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. AndreiC

Probably ffb is better for you with cars like a F V12 but for me as I am using a lower wheel T300rs there not much difference in ffb forces compared to other F1 cars.

19. AndreiC

You should thy Ultima GTR with Historic Kyalami, it is so much fun pushing the car and trying not to lift in all through those fast corners.

• Like Like x 2
  20. M-Bimmer

M-Bimmer Member

Guess this is straight forward...just replace the existing custom ffb settings file with yours while the game is not running? Guess also that some tweaking shall be done on the ffb values if needed. (sorry newbie not enjoying the new default ffb)
    thanks in advance