1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Automobilista 2 Force Feedback - Overview & Recommendations

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Renato Simioni, Apr 4, 2020.

1. jpmmuc

jpmmuc Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Nice, one more time you're helping someone to find the right feeling.
    Do you guys have holidays atm? :whistle:

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. Steve D

Steve D New Member

Best version of your custom file so far for me @Karsten Hvidberg (And @NuScorpii ) Thanks fellas!

Really nice detail everywhere with my SimuCUBE 1 DD set up and the scrub comes through very well, with a nice rubbery feel. Tested with Caterham Superlight at Brands Hatch GP with in-game FFB at 45/25/50. Compliments my VR and motion set up perfectly. Not too far away from rF2 now and that's a compliment!

Thank you again.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. F.Santos

F.Santos Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

A bit of a compromise maybe, but in the formula cars like the f3s I guess you can increase caster to increase wheel weight, I also went up 75 Gain and it feels heavier, better, but since its so light we should be able to go even higher if necessary!? Im ok for now gonna test the old stock before changing more settings.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. Karsten Hvidberg

Karsten Hvidberg Well-Known Member

Unf. not,
    This is very much late evening work, having fun trying to make it feel good on my wheel.
    I guess same for @NuScorpii , it's just the itch when you know it can be made better & the sim is a hobby of yours :) Just a bonus that others benefit too, when that is the case!

• Winner Winner x 5
    • Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Alegunner68

Alegunner68 Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

This new file doesn't suit me, just too dead in the middle no matter what I try, yet on a straight if I turn just slightly left or right, real slightly, I get all the road undulations. Longitudal forces aren't registering at all in that deadzone.
    Went back to the lfb bug hack file and although the road FX is a bit high, it feels much better.
    More serious problem for me though is driving the f309 round brands, both files caused my wheel to turn hard right and stay there, think it might have been on a fast right hander clipping a kerb. Worked fine at Interlagos.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  6. Pixel

Pixel Active Member

Is soft lock supposed to be working? On my TS-PC, wheel rotation is set correctly, but there is no soft lock force preventing further spin of the wheel.

7. F.Santos

F.Santos Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Are you using the latest firmware from Fanatec? I think Im in 367 or 369

8. Jebus

Jebus The Lying Finn AMS2 Club Member

• Like Like x 4
  9. M-Bimmer

M-Bimmer Member

Good to hear that since i also have the same wheelbase and about to try “connecting the dots” :)
    Thanks for sharing.

• Winner Winner x 1
  10. Karsten Hvidberg

It sounds really weird, you are not having it on "default" by accident?
    Or could the belt be a little worn maybe, so there's a little lag when changing directions that would require bigger changes?
    Just trying to guess what it might be...

Last edited: May 25, 2020
  11. Alegunner68

No, think I'm on 347, I'll try a newer one.

It's a new wheel, I'll update the firmware as suggested, it may stop the weird lock issue.

• Like Like x 3
  12. Karsten Hvidberg

Ok, keep us posted, would be interesting to know what turns out to be the issue. Do you have a friend with a similar wheel that you can try too? As I would think it should be plenty good for this, so struggling to understand.

• Like Like x 2
  13. steelreserv

steelreserv Well-Known Member Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

I had to signup to the forums just say thank you to you all, especially @NuScorpii and @Karsten Hvidberg.

im not a sim racer by any stretch of the imagination but I have a T300 GT and have been looking for a sim like AM2 to take advantage of the FFB that was (apparently) so lackluster in PC2.

When I first started reading this thread, it was so over my head it was ridiculous. (“Scrub”...through the wheel?!). Then I just kept plugging away, trying these setups and holy ****...it all came together today. It took time to understand what info the wheel was giving me, and the feel if it and tying it to what you all have been discussing but now...my lap times are dropping dramtically and I can honestly say I am enjoying my first sim. All thanks to everyone here. (And I do mean everyone! @Slapshot82, @Alegunner68 et al.

Ty Ty Ty!!!

• Winner Winner x 6
    • Like Like x 5
  14. Richard Busch

Richard Busch New Member

Good Grief. We are at 57 pages of tweaking and tuning, and the game isn't at v1.0 yet. I appreciate all you guys are doing. I'm going to wait until v1.0 before I start tuning my FFB. Should we have different forum pages for each type of wheel? DD wheels, Thrustmaster, Logitech, etc.?
    I know of a Thrustmaster Tx and T300 page.
    Thrustmaster TX/T300 FFB setup
    We might need to start separate threads for each type of wheel.
    Thanks for all you guys are doing. I"m sure it is helping all of us and Reiza with the FFB final settings.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  15. Clippy2020

Clippy2020 New Member

I am looking for some input to improve the FFB on Logitech G29, with the formula V10 car. I have been hotlapping at Interlagos for a few hours. It is pretty tricky to not lock the fronts. Default setup so far.
    Anyway, the FFB is not quite what I want. In raceroom, using the formula X17, I get really "beefy" force feedback on my g29. High speed corners the wheel is strong. Good road and bump feel. That car does have a high FFB multiplier of 2.5. But I like the feel.
    The feel in ams2 is too weak for my taste. What settings do you recommend?
    Also, I cannot ever feel understeer (wheel doesn't get light?)

Good to see all this tweaking action going on. Hopefully Reiza takes note.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Karsten Hvidberg

Alegunner,
    if that prior version worked better on your wheel, you can just adjust the 2 scrub angle values to same as are in the latest file and maybe it's the best combo for you.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Alegunner68

I think I will, and remove some road FX.
    Main problem is working out why the wheel is freaking out. I'll plug it into a usb 2 instead of 3 and see if that sorts it.

• Like Like x 1
  18. SwaggerJacker

SwaggerJacker Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I'm not a fan of the separate pages idea. The good people providing us insanely good wheel feel would have to bounce around too many pages. That's unnecessary and tedious.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  19. Slapshot82

Slapshot82 Active Member AMS2 Club Member

There's been a lot of good settings info specific to the G29 discussed in this thread. Also, several users have reported good results when using the custom files for this wheel too, so I'd recommend taking the time to read thru the last 10-20 pages for the info on the last two beta updates, at least. ;)

@Karsten Hvidberg Thanks again! About to "Connect the Dots" now!

Just in case anyone here doesn't know about this, Crew Chief now works with AMS2 and is a must have app in my opinion. There's a Crew Chief thread for further discussion/instructions, but adding the FFB improvements of these custom files and a solid Race Engineer/Spotter to this sim takes it to a whole new level!

Last edited: May 26, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Slapshot82

Slapshot82 Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Tonight I decided not to tweak the file, but instead only made a few tweaks to in-game setting to try and get a solid feel of the differences between this file and the previous file "LFB hack" file I raced with most of the weekend, using only tin top cars at Adelaide to retain familiarity.

I've recorded a few laps in the Stock Car Brazil to show the telemetry output for y'all to see.

Notable moments:
    1:37 scrub effect when touching curbing
    1:44 main straight barely has any FFB output/feel
    2:24 back straight barely has any FFB output/feel
    2:36 scrub effect when hitting curbing with the car at the grip limit
    3:10 no FFB or scrub effects when I stalled the car :p:D:rolleyes::D:p
    3:13 scrub effect when performing burnout

Overall, I do see a lot of similarities and improvements with "Connecting the Dots", but probably close an equal amount of drawbacks as well. With my normal settings of 75/35/50, the most notable change is that the scrub effects don't ramp up and feel overpowering now. The scrub effect under braking is quite light and could be increased, while the corner scrub effect feels really good. It's is a much closer balance than with the last file (not sure of the name).

The wheel feels lighter and a little less dynamic at the center too and this is most notable when on straights without a lot of bumps. When I turned up the LFB to help with this (65-70), the corner scrub effect scaled up too much again, but not to the extent that it create the buzzing effect, though it does look similar in the telemetry - the forces just aren't quite as strong now.

Lateral forces have a diminished effect now, which is especially noticeable when counter-steering. I felt my counter-steers to be more reactionary than anticipated many times due to this.

The largest drawback is that longitudinal forces under braking are almost non-existent with this new file for both the Sprint and Stock Cars. The effect is there for the Super V8, but not the extent that it should be. Coupling this lost effect with the light scrub effect under braking and it's only when the tires lose grip that you can really feel the car, which is a significant loss of information. I will say though, that when I do feel the scrub effect under braking, I can instantly tell which tires are losing grip, and that's still just an amazing thing!

I'll try to get some time to dig in a bit deeper tomorrow night. I've also got a Thrustmaster TH8A shifter coming in this coming weekend, so I'm going to need to take a day or two to modify my custom built cockpit to have a mounting bracket ready to go for it - I'm beyond ready to get my heel-toe downshifts on again! I haven't had an Sequential/H-shifter since I sold off my G27 three years ago and upgraded all my gear!