1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Automobilista 2 Force Feedback - Overview & Recommendations

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Renato Simioni, Apr 4, 2020.

1. Stakanov

Stakanov Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Let me know, it would be a pleasure to help you ... it shouldn't change much in weight as the GAIN is not very high but I stop it at 85 (+/- as in previous updates), this limit value can be found with the car that has the hardest FFB as the Sprintrace and bring it up to the limit of clipping (trying it on many different tracks), you will probably reach almost 90 but since then you will also increase LFB you will see that you will have to lower it back to about 85 ... LFB 95 as mentioned above is high but it only serves to fill the center and the dead zone ( in this way I had the same good feeling of version 0.9.2.1) ... FX I put 100 because I noticed that on the G920 it does not alter the other forces but manages to introduce at least some more effect and also a little scrub than before I didn't feel ... finding this high limit with the Sprintrace allows you to also have high sensations on cars that have a low FFB ... you should in short succeed with these values in having decent forces on the whole car fleet ... and it is no small thing considering the economy of the steering wheel ... good luck ;)

Last edited: May 30, 2020
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. YoLolo69

YoLolo69 Active Member

Pretty good new FFB with "Default" and 80/50/75 with my T500RS. The LFB at 50 is kind of too much IMHO but it's here to fill (not completely) the center deadzone. I can feel at FX 75 some scrubs effects in wheel. Default work far more better than previously! :)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Goffik

Goffik Well-Known Member

Yeah, the updated default FFB is definitely a step forwards this time around. Feels much better on my T300. I still feel that it's lacking in some areas for me personally, but I think a much less heavily tweaked custom profile will do the job now. I also don't think a custom profile is absolutely necessary anymore, unless you want extras. Good job Reiza. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 4
  4. F.Santos

F.Santos Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

@Karsten Hvidberg @NuScorpii have you tried your files on this build? 9.5
    If we had one version with an option to reduce the wheel weight slightly and your front and rear tyre scrub it would be awesome!

5. steelreserv

steelreserv Well-Known Member Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

I have a T300 as well, out of curiosity what default settings did you think worked best?

I’m not 100% sure what LFB or FX do as every time I raise one and lower the other or vice versa, it kinda feels like nothing changed.

Honestly, thIs is the first game I’ve played that has in depth FFB.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Goffik

Goffik Well-Known Member

They have their own thread for custom FFB discussion now. :)

I haven't done any thorough testing as yet. Reduced gain to eliminate the clipping, and ran 80/50/50 for a number of laps in a couple of different cars, looking for differences in feel rather than optimal settings. I will certainly do a proper optimisation run at some point later and will come back to you with the settings I come up with. :)

• Like Like x 3
  7. F.Santos

F.Santos Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Thanks mate did not know that!:D

• Like Like x 1
  8. newtonpg

newtonpg Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Interesting that I have exactly the opposite. Now at v.0.9.5.1 it is much harder than before. Perfect to my TM TX.
    [Edit] Running CP default. Ingame 75/0/0

• Like Like x 1
  9. Karsten Hvidberg

Karsten Hvidberg Well-Known Member

I must say I have to eat my words from earlier. For some reason, at first, it felt good.
    But driving more the center seems now to be a complete mess. Very lose, even on DD. Also with no tightening at the center as it has had before. It's like it's tryi g to fix the old "too much" grip at center with loosening, but it feels worse and that it may be should be solved in a totally different way?

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. jpmmuc

jpmmuc Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Hi guys with a new version 0.9.5.1 comes new happiness :p
    As written in the beta forum the default is giving me more or less all I need but I like a little scrub. So here is if you want to try the new default with the added scrub part (we all know this from the other files) but without additional tweaks for engine, LFB or the steering center.

This means Pure Reiza with a little bumped scrub_rack from 1.0 to 1.2 and added canned scrub effects for front and rear. I use this with 50/2/16 so the scrub is really very subtle just to feel when it starts. Front and rear can be dialed in with parameters for front and rear.

Parameters (don't fiddle to much) for front, same parameters for rear only in the in file
    (scrub_scale_front 0.88) <- how strong
    (scrub_lambda_front 1.6) <- frequency
    (sf_s 0.58) <- when the scrub starts, lower is less angle

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  11. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Internal Tester AMS2 Club Member

Agree about the lock stop. Having the strength of the stop effect vary (for whatever reasons) is not as logical as just having a consistent force (be that full or 80% or whatever is appropriate).

The scrub_rack setting does impact the FFB on my wheel. Still fiddling, but I can destroy the FFB and induce very artificial oscillation-like effects on high speed corners if I crank it up. Small increases feel better than the default 1.0 on every car I have tried so far, but the effects vary a lot by car, which may explain why it is left at 1.0 and the rear is inactive (set to 0).

• Like Like x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  12. Dady Cairo

Dady Cairo "Son of Spartakus" and "Leisure Nostradamus" AMS2 Club Member

Someboy here with a TS -PC?
    I have now gain at 55-60 LFB 45 FX40
    I like it a little bit "weaker".Useing the Ferrarie Alcantara rim.
    CP gain at 75 all default

• Like Like x 1
  13. Slapshot82

Slapshot82 Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I use very similar settings to @Goffik with Gain 70-75, LFB 35 & FX 50-55; the higher settings are for cars with lighter steering (open wheel) and the lower settings cars with heavy steering (GT).

To answer you question for the settings with a bit of depth, the LFB setting is typically raised when you feel that forces are missing when the car isn't loaded (bumps when driving down the straights are a good indication for this) and the setting is lowered if you feel that too much is coming thru - for the T300, adjustments in increments of 5 work quite well. Only change one setting at a time, as this will help you to better assess the changes to the feedback. If you aren't seeing any difference at all, then try adjustments in increments of 10.

A note for the T300 in my experience is that if the overall feedback feels flat and is unresponsive to in-game setting changes, the TM driver likely needs to be refreshed. Disconnecting/reconnecting the USB plug will quickly do this; or you can just restart your system.

Another thing to note with LFB is that it does scales, so if you want a lot of road feel in the straights and turn LFB up significantly higher, the low forces will be significantly increased when the car is loaded as well. This means you will have very strong feedback when hitting big bumps when the car has increased loads (turning). If you prefer a heavier wheel and want the bumps/kerbs to be felt strongly, then increase your Gain & LFB settings. If the overall feedback is then too much but you still want to keep as much of the bumps/kerb effects, then try to reduce just the Gain.

Of course, we are 'tuning' the feedback (similar to a guitar), so there are always trade-offs. With higher Gain and/or LFB forces, much of the 'detailed' feedback is going to be overcome by these stronger forces. You will especially notice this with the T300 in slow corners. The wheel will feel very heavy and lack most (if not all) detailed road feel. Pay attention to the auditory cues here, if you hear the wheels starting to lose traction, but the wheel primarily just feels heavy, you're losing the detailed feedback when the car is crossing the grip threshold, as it's being overshadowed by the stronger forces.

This is where the balancing act comes into play, especially for the T300, as it doesn't register the detailed road feel as well as Fanatec belt driven wheels and/or DD wheels. For AMS 2, if you want more detailed feedback, reducing your LFB below 50 is a must. This will reduce road effects on the straights quite drastically (can even feel flat on smooth tracks in some cars in the game's current state!), but this will allow you to feel the detailed feedback thru corners much better. For me, this feedback is critical, as it allows me to get the car rotated into the corner earlier by threshold braking and exit the corner with more speed, as I can feel the tires' grip limit as I walk the throttle up -- significantly reducing my lap times!

Finally, FX scales the detailed feedback, which on the T300 mostly has a rough mechanical type bumpiness and/or vibration feel for the most part. Typically, just leave this at 50, unless you do desire the heavy wheel with strong effects (high Gain & LFB settings), then you might need to reduce the FX if these effects are coming thru too strongly. With that said though, if you do use a lower LFB setting (~35), some cars with very light steering do benefit from an increase in FX (5-10 increments) so that these forces can be felt a bit more strongly.

To simplify this, I keep my settings at 75/35/50 at a baseline starting point in AMS 2 currently. If the wheel feels too light/heavy, I first adjust the Gain 5-10. If I feel the detailed feedback needs adjustment, I adjust the the FX 5-10.

(Just a quick note, my settings are optimized for to be Informative when used to drive GT cars with heavier steering for the T300 and might not give an optimal experience for those who primarily drive cars with lighter steering.)

Last edited: May 30, 2020
    • Informative Informative x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Cote Dazur

Cote Dazur Member

the OP was last edited: Apr 5, 2020.
    In light of the recent changes to the FFB and since it appears to in a stable state as per the last upgrade notes, "once again a lot of the focus has been on physics / FFB, with a lot of fine-tuning resulting in another good step forward all around, as the handling for most cars now become pretty representative of our v1.0 target"
    Should the OP be updated or is their a more recent official Reiza post somewhere else.
    I am also interested to see an official Reiza CSW setting.
    Or is it too early yet?

15. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Internal Tester AMS2 Club Member

One problem is that the CSW range of wheels do not respond consistently to FFB settings in games (any, not just AMS 2). Even the CSW v1 versus v2/2.5 are quite different :(

16. jpmmuc

jpmmuc Active Member AMS2 Club Member

There are a few updates in testing. For me the biggest step forward is the reduced oscillation. We had also one in Beta testing incl. scrub but this doesn't made it into the non beta.
    So I think when the FFB is nearly final we will get an update. All from Reiza are atm heavily in tuning for the release.

17. steelreserv

steelreserv Well-Known Member Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

Tyvm for this, and thanks for your time. One thing I have noticed is a heavy wheel while cornering and needing to rely on audio cues with LFB at 50. I will turn it down.

Coming from open wheel and an F1 2018/19 background, downforce cars are in my comfort zone but I bought this game specifically for GT cars and because I expect great things from Reiza/Madness. So getting advice like this is particularly appreciated.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Tomas

Tomas New Member

Why is everyone using 75 gain in TM CP? I just don't get it. I read people everywhere using 75. For two years now, every time i read somewhere that 75 is better i go to test it out, and every time i can feel forces clipping much faster and with less input force then with 100. I own 2 TM wheels, TS-XW and T300RS GT. Both wheels react the same. Clipping occurs with much less force when set to 75. Guys, realy, is it just me to see that? Am i going crazy???

19. NuScorpii

NuScorpii Well-Known Member

I wonder if they are using something wheel specific for the scrub effect, from different people it seems like it is working on Fanatec but not Custom Wheel option.

20. Goffik

Goffik Well-Known Member

Because it is the default setting recommended by Thrustmaster themselves. Higher settings increase heat/wear and can potentially reduce the life of the wheel. Besides, the forces feel fine to me at 75.

• Agree Agree x 1