Track limit violation - Feedback on the new system here

Discussion in 'Automobilista - General Discussion' started by Renato Simioni, Jun 24, 2016.

1. Kevin Pheiffer

Kevin Pheiffer Owner of Shadowracingrsa

The pit entry gives us a penalty, almost every time the drivers pit. Otherwise all seems good.

2. AMS_SR

AMS_SR Active Member AMS2 Club Member

For me some turns are a bit too strict. Example Mendig: The last chicane its very tolerantly in this turns and u can hard attacking. That i wish me for the whole track.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2016
  3. PATR10T

PATR10T Boss from european endurance center :) AMS2 Club Member

does it effect also mod tracks? because on patricks nürburgring for example you got a track cut warning when going too wide out of the corner and with two wheels on the grass o_O

4. AMS_SR

Only 2 Wheels on grass. Wow. The Mendig chicane i mean you can partially cut with 4 wheels beside the white line. Im not forcing or searching such points ;), but it's good to know u have a comfortable tolerance window.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2016
  5. Renato Simioni

Renato Simioni Administrator Staff Member

The hotfix is taking a bit longer as we´re pushing to go the distance with this. We´ve tweaked a lot of the corridors, fine-tuning several spots where it was too strict or too lenient. Luis has fixed the pit entry issue and we´re looking to implement a UI switch so you can enable / disable the system in single races / test day if you so prefer. Should hopefully have something by tomorrow.

• Like Like x 8
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. Dajonaga

Dajonaga untalented driver AMS2 Club Member

Disregard... I've just noticed that I was speeding at pit entrance...:confused:

I'm not worthy o_O

Video deleted.

:hurrayreiza:

7. Tony Binelli

Tony Binelli Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Hi Renato, will this system be able to be disabled by online server admin?

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  8. Alex Sawczuk

Alex Sawczuk Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Should be already if you turn flags off.

9. AMS_SR

This is a test at Mendig. Honestly, before 0.9.65b was better. Some "grass" turns much more strict then before, some other better, but not much.

These pics are all invalid/"cutted" laps. I see 2 tires on track, why isn't that enough ? Not good.
    Turn 2
    [​IMG]

turn 5 or 6!? (the slow one nearly 180°)
    [​IMG]

last before chicane
    [​IMG]

Edit: 0.9.67r is not much better. A bit on the grass and 2 tires on track and he allways cancel the lap. I dont like that. Too picky...

Last edited: Jul 1, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  10. DaVeX

DaVeX AMSUnofficial Staff AMS2 Club Member

For another thread here on the forum:
    Can we have a system like this?
    3 cuts and you get penalty, once you served it 2 more cuts and you get penalty again

11. Erick Goldner

Erick Goldner Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I believe that a system that decreases the amount of allowed cuts based on the penalties should be a better way to manage the limits and also not cut the fights on the race:

4 cuts -> Penalty and Clear warnings -> 3 cuts -> Penalty and Clear Warnings -> 2 cuts -> Penalty and Clear Warnings -> 1 Cut -> Penalty -> 1 Cut -> Penalty and so on...

12. Renato Simioni

Because youre in the grass. If it were curbs or concrete the corridors would be set to allow it. I dont see how over half the car off over the grass should be considered legal. Im sure there will be places that will be tweaked still but I dont think that one spot in particular will be one - opinions may and will differ which is why we're not expecting to please everyone. Soon enough youll understand thats not considered a legal part of the race track and drive accordingly.

• Agree Agree x 5
  13. PIO79EK

PIO79EK New Member AMS2 Club Member

Lol, grass is not for driving

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Renato Simioni

We'll see. This would allow any and all cutting so for now I hesitate to see that as a particularly necessary option.

With regards to the penalty system, we might look into making cuts reset after a drive-thru penalty. This is still WIP.

We welcome more feedback on spots folks may think might need tweaking, but as mentioned I also hope people can understand not everyone will necessarily agree to everything. To some extent one should be willing to work with the software as presented.

• Agree Agree x 6
  15. AMS_SR

Edit: Ops, wrong forum.

16. Koba

Koba Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Of course in the end you can't make everyone happy, but let's break this system/issue down to its components:

1. The cut-detection system is of course subject to refinement, and eventually everyone will learn what is allowed at each corner and just get on with the racing.

2. The penalty system is not simulating real racing rules, it's a game feature to promote fair play, and it needs to be strong enough to keep everyone conscious of being careful, but not so strong as to ruin people's races when they are taking reasonable care. The three-warning system is generous and takes into account a little sloppiness, and cuts that may result from passing battles or getting bent out of shape at a chicane. But after a penalty is served, having no more warnings means you're driving scared the rest of the race.

For a 40-minute race or shorter, this (going past three warnings and a penalty) should rarely be an issue, but for longer races, especially endurance races, this could really destroy the fun.

I'm sure most people want the post-penalty situation to be less harsh, and it's especially important for endurance races. The simplest thing to do (and the easiest for drivers to remember) is to reset the warning count to three. And here's the key point for me: just because you know you have multiple warnings ahead doesn't mean you are going to cut corners on purpose. Drivers are focused on driving consistent lines, and just having a penalty system at all will keep people honest.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. P*Funk

P*Funk Active Member

I feel like a private league should be able to customize its use of the penalty and cut system since needs vary and as is often the case in iRacing private leagues will turn the cut/collision penalty system off altogether and rely on stewards or the honour system.

Whats the harm of an option to disable a feature that could potentially cramp people's style as it were? The only reason I can see for wanting to prevent this is to ensure a high level of conformity to rules on the Reiza front end.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Gringo

Gringo Well-Known Member Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

Would it defeat the purpose of the anti cut system to have the option of simply counting the cut tracks during a race and then sort out the end race result by adding time penalties? This would keep the on track battles alive but hurt the final results of the cutting drivers.

One question on the A/C system... Are the AIW files now checked for integrity? I assume modifying (the cut track limits) in my local AIW for a track can't be used to give me an advantage. :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 1
  19. Tony Binelli

Tony Binelli Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Can't agree more, its my server and my clubs organised race. I want to decide if I allow cuts and how many, these should both be options in the final product. Too many cuts are from accidents in a racing battle where usually no times are gained

20. Koba

Koba Active Member AMS2 Club Member

It wouldn't bother me if the system was permanently on, but I can see why league-runners would want more control. I don't see the harm of having a checkbox to turn it on and off, and/or an input box to enter the number of warnings before issuing a penalty (and this number of warnings would be repeated before each penalty).

My guess is, Renato wants to see how this goes in actual practice before making changes. Remember it's still Early Access so it's an experimental period where they can get more and stronger feedback than in a beta. :p