Crew Chief V4 Spotter for Automobilista

Discussion in 'Automobilista - Links & Resources' started by gongo, Jun 17, 2016.

1. gongo

gongo Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

-

Last edited: Jan 16, 2021
  2. Tony Binelli

Tony Binelli Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Actually programmable buttons to call commands like fuel used per lap used would be cool. In multi we are all on teamspeak so we cannot use voice commands

3. mr_belowski

mr_belowski Well-Known Member

hmmm... locking the inside rear in a FWD car isn't something the app should ever warn about. Perhaps the car classes need to have a fwd/rwd/awd enum, and if it's fwd explicitly disable the locking-single-rear warning.

As for strategy advice, this is hard. Like, properly hard. Remember that the data the app uses tends to be very noisy, sometimes the game just sends garbage, and it has to be robust enough to cope with race restarts and stuff.

To be honest, I think it would be a huge task to have the 'chief help out with strategy calls, but I can see why it would be so compelling. Even the apparently simple info it provides at the moment is hard to do, and myself and Gongo have day jobs you know ;)

Anyone fancy a crack at Assetto Corsa's grotty Python API and half-assed shared memory implementation? I think all the data the app needs is available (split between the two sources) but getting at it ain't fun. If I'm going to be the next prime-minister I need the backing of the AC players too :D

• Like Like x 1
  4. mr_belowski

for team speak, can't you assign the 'team speak mute' button to the Crew Chief 'open radio channel' action, and set team speak so it mutes the mic while you hold down the button? So while you're holding the button, the Chief is listening but your TS chums can't hear you making voice commands

5. Tony Binelli

Tony Binelli Active Member AMS2 Club Member

That's a thought, will certainly give that a try

6. gongo

-

• Like Like x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  7. sinarca

sinarca New Member

What a stupid !
    Thanks1000 !!

8. mr_belowski

Interesting, my plans for world domination may yet come to fruition. I started writing an AC Python module which read stuff from the AC Python API and the AC memory mapped file, and then wrote it to a byte array (in a very compact form). It then wrote this byte array to a UDP broadcast packet. The idea was to use the existing Crew Chief UDP broadcast stuff as a start point with UDP packet format based on the format the SMS guys used for PCars.

Technically it would have worked - the infrastructure was OK and did a little proof-of-concept. Actually getting the data was what sunk the project. The AC API is poorly implemented and poorly documented, and there's just no practical way to debug it, so the dev process was just painful and made me very angry so I gave up. Kunos didn't respond to any questions or simple requests for information (unlike SMS and S3 who've both been brilliant).

But now I've gone all virtual-reality, AC's VR implementation is fantastic so it'd be cool to be able to hear my dulcet tones in AC :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. gongo

-

• Winner Winner x 1
  10. Erick Goldner

Erick Goldner Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Are you sure about this lap time?
    Just to say that the Best lap on that race i reported was 1:07:560.
    The record on Time Trial is 1:07:1, which is damn fast.

• Like Like x 1
  11. mr_belowski

Warm embrace? Working with Python is like being sprayed with hot sh!t. Working with Python within the comedy constraints of Assetto Corsa, not being able debug anything or basically make any reasonable progress... man, I'd rather be *killed*. I tried to make it work but I actually really literally *died* while trying.

Still, if you can make it work that would be awesome thankyouplease :D

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. gongo

-

• Like Like x 2
  13. mr_belowski

gongo - it's not 'only lock on driven wheels', it's a special case for FWD - don't warn on single rear wheel lockup. It's (as far as I'm aware) the only case where warning on wheel locks should be disabled. Alternatively, if we could detect that the locked wheel isn't actually touching the track surface and ignore those lock ups we'd have a generic solution. But I don't think this is possible for R3E, and possibly not PCars and AMS.

Would be happy to 'do Assetto' as long as I don't have to scratch around in the stinky Python API.

Saw the PR this morning, will merge and release over the weekend. I have some important jobs to do this evening (<cough> pissing around with the Vive <cough>) :)

14. gongo

-

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. DaVeX

DaVeX AMSUnofficial Staff AMS2 Club Member

Really?How? :p
    AMS first!!! :D
    Even if I like the idea to have a rin..ahem...spotter to rule them all...

Btw guys, gongo plugin works for rF1 based games so we are expected to have the same info from AMS to all the other games (project cars, r3e, etc etc)?

16. Jebus

Jebus The Lying Finn AMS2 Club Member

No problem, glad to be help.

And don't worry, I knew what you were doing wrong because I did exactly the same mistake and was about to bug report it here but saved my face at last moment. :D

Last edited: Jul 1, 2016
    • Funny Funny x 1
  17. Jebus

Chief to AC!? I just peed my pants a little.

18. xnorb

xnorb Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I need to publicly thank gongo for this masterpiece.

It's a real game changer and everybody needs to run this!

• Agree Agree x 3
  19. ctbr

ctbr New Member AMS2 Club Member

Some questions regarding voice recognition.
    I'm running a Swedish Windows 10 and there are no voice recognition support from MS for Swedish.
    I have read that you can change all settings in the OS to US and that way have voice recognition with Cortana in English. But does that include changing the Keyboard layout? This will of course create som troubles whith local characters.
    Is this a solution that someone is using with Crew Chief?

What about installing the voice recognition packages from https://forum.sector3studios.com/index.php?threads/offical-release-of-crew-chief-version-4-auto-updating-and-shiny.2516/ ?
    Or will this couse errors as the packages are for Win 7

Please advise as I would like to add voice recognition to this great program

Last edited: Jul 1, 2016
  20. Jebus

I think I go as far as to saying that this the best mod I have ever used, above any car or track mod. And I've tried a lot of mods.

So huge thanks to @gongo and @mr_belowski you guys are stars!

• Agree Agree x 2