1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

No Slipstream effects in game yet?

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by James Lee GTE, Jun 9, 2020.

1. James Lee GTE

James Lee GTE Active Member

Is anyone else noticing that there are zero slipstream effects in this sim with any car?
    I race the V12’s at the new Kyalami layout, I’m in second place inches behind the leader and third place is inches behind me. We all travel down the long main straight, I can’t catch first place and third place can’t catch me. All three of us go down the main straight in a perfect convoy and no one gains any drafting speed advantage.
    I feel like dirty air is in the game, because I get passed lap two racing behind AI and I can’t take corners at the same braking point, with the same speed or same line as when I’m in practise mode and it makes me think dirty air is in game, but absolutely no drafting / slip stream effect is in game.
    Please Reiza, I’ve never seen an update with notes about updates or tweaks to slip streaming and I hope it’s implemented at some point soon.

2. Goffik

Goffik Well-Known Member

Nope. Slipstreaming works fine for me in most of the cars I've tried. Some are stronger than others, but it's works just the same.

That said, I already posted in the bug thread about the AI apparently having more speed than you on the straights in some classes. You can see this because you will slipstream them getting closer until you hit your limiter... then they start pulling away. Whether this is the AI adjusting their gear ratios away from default (doubtful) or an unintentional higher top speed, I don't know. That was two patches ago, so no idea if they fixed it.

3. James Lee GTE

James Lee GTE Active Member

I agree with what you are saying, at Imola 72 my revs go through the roof on the main straight and curves leading to the first hairpin when I’m behind AI, but I never go passed them with that wonderful slingshot slipstream effect, I always have to out break them. But it’s also the same if they are following me down that same main straight, they never slingshot passed me, they just stick to my tail and never pull out and pass me. It’s like they have no slip stream at all either.
    In RF2 and AC I can visually see and almost feel when the slipstream takes hold, I then get right up to their tail, pull to the side, pass them and it’s exciting, in AMS2 I don’t ever feel that way. I always feel I get stuck in a dirty air convoy down long straights.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2020
  4. John Hargreaves

John Hargreaves Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I'd add my agreement to this. Just done a quick race at Interlagos 90/50 AI strength and on the long straights I got no sense of slipstreaming, it felt like the car in front was just a bit faster top speed than mine. At the jungcao turn I would be faster through than the guy in front and then miraculously he would pick up speed and I could barely keep up. Everything I've ever heard about that turn says a better run through there gives you better speed all up the hill.
    Even down at 70% the AI seem at least as fast as me on the straights, but then slow down to silly pace through the turns so that although they make a slower laptime overall, they do it in a bizarre unrealistic way. At 90% they aren't too bad, but that 'too slow in turns too fast on straights' is still there to an extent.
    I would imagine that a slower driver would be braking earlier, slower through the turn and then slower on the first part of the next straight before finally hitting top speed later than the faster driver. You would expect them to be able to match player speed in a straight line, but not as soon as the guy who carries more speed through the preceding turn. This is all such 'racing school day 1' that it must be known and I'm sure it's in hand, but hey, we're in a feedback forum.
    Having said all that about the lower levels, I am having some fun races up at the default 90% level. Once the race settles down you can pick your way through the field once you learn where they are slower.

• Informative Informative x 1