1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

No mouse in VR

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - Help & Support' started by Brian Lund, May 31, 2020.

1. Brian Lund

Brian Lund New Member

I bought the pre-release on Steam and tried to get it running but it ended up with me having no mouse control when using VR. I’m wondering if this is a known problem and if there is a fix.
    My setup. Running Win10 with a wireless mouse. VR is a Samsung Odessey WMR.
    Everything runs fine in non-VR but when I go into VR by starting it in Steam and selecting “run in steam vr” WMR portal starts, then Steam VR starts and finally Oculus starts. Up until this point my mouse is working fine. As soon as AB2 starts the mouse curser goes to the top left corner of my left monitor (I have a three monitor setup) and just bounces around up there flashing. I can’t get it to move out of the corner and I have no mouse in VR.
    Very strange behavior and any help would be welcome.
    Thanks, Brian

• Like Like x 1
  2. Twinz

Twinz Member

Copy/paste of how I fixed this in PC2 and AMS2:

"After digging into the open VR xml file I change "PointerSwitchTime" from 10 to 100 and I am typing this now while PC2 is still running...100 seconds of my PC working *and* PC2 running windowed!"

^ Works for the AMS xml file too.

Just up the number to something crazy high. (I think I did like a day's worth of seconds in the end)

3. InfernalVortex

InfernalVortex Active Member

I run a WMR and odyssey plus and it usually works fine but I have tons of weird little glitches. Im pretty new to the VR thing so a lot of it I'm kind of learning as I go, and I dont know the best way around most of it. The above post may be the real solution, but I have my workarounds too.

I have Windows Media Desktop installed, so whenever I have these weird glitches, almost always in the menu screens, I go to the desktop using the windows button the controller, and then select AMS2 from the taskbar at the bottom, and then you'll be able to use your mouse OR pointer in desktop windowed mode on top of the VR environment. As soon as I get loaded into an actual track session (where you have "Start" and "Advanced setup" buttons and so on, I can close out the desktop window, and the mouse works fine for the rest of the session after that. I can go in and out of races as many times as I want and it doesnt ever seem to happen again. It usually happens on the first attempt upon game startup, and then not after that.

I have had issues with steam popping up weird windows in the background, Cortana opening up stuff in the background ,etc, that "overlay" over the VR environment and dont allow you to properly select things without going through the windowed desktop mode, but that doesnt happen that often.

But essentially, yes, this happens to me relatively often. Go into windows desktop mode and select desktop, select AMS 2 from the task bar and just work from there until you get into a session.

Twinz, is this a WMR problem? Or a WMR interacting with the Madness engine problem? Or just settings are wrong somewhere?

By the way, I love this Odyssey Plus. best money I've ever spent on sim racing! Even with the occasional hiccups (Sometimes the desktop wont appear at all for some reason, if that happens I usually shut all the VR windows down and restart WMR and Steam VR and it's fine after that).

4. Twinz

Twinz Member

Since I never had the problem with either the CV1 or S,(oculus software) I assume the issue is with how WMR interacts with the cursor function in the sim software.

Before I fixed the issue, I discovered that the headset was the mouse input windows was using. I couldnt use the mouse to navigate my desktop, but I could pick up my headset, hold it in my hand and point towards the "front" of the VR world and find my mouse on the monitor, pointing with headset movements.

5. YoLolo69

YoLolo69 Active Member

Did you guys tried to set the "Gaze" option in VR menu to "OFF"?

6. InfernalVortex

InfernalVortex Active Member

Yes. I believe this is a WMR gaze option that is overriding it.

7. Twinz

Twinz Member

look for "PointerSwitchTime" in the open VR file and change it to a really high number. This is what fixed my issue.

8. SlowBloke

SlowBloke Member

Im having a very similar issue .... I tried the PointerSwitchTime - no change. Gaze is off in VR menu.

I can see the mouse pointer but it does not move in VR. If I take my headset off it works fine on the monitor (same session).

Any ideas ?

9. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Free speech matters AMS2 Club Member

How did you solve this?