1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pause Button

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by deadly, Jun 17, 2020.

1. deadly

deadly Well-Known Member

when player presses "pause" during race, the game switches to the menu, as if you had pressed "esc". would be nice, if the race would just pause as it does in ams 1.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  2. jpmmuc

jpmmuc Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I like it more the way it is otherwise I would need an additional button to go to the in race options like VR settings, control settings.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. deadly

deadly Well-Known Member

the way it is, it is simply no "pause" - mode, but just jump to menu. useless setting up a button for it, when pressing "esc" has the same effect.

4. Romeo Foxtrot

Romeo Foxtrot Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I prefer the screen freeze used in AMS1. It makes it easier to resume driving after forced interruptions, it allows onscreen information such as lap times and tyre temps to be read and contextualised, and it could also allow screen switching, menu activation and other housekeeping tasks.

At the moment I'm wasting a button to duplicate the Escape key, pause the screen and then all the information I'm trying to absorb disappears.

It also stops me resuming driving without reaching over for the keyboard.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. deadly

deadly Well-Known Member

yeah, that is what i meant.

6. 250swb

250swb Active Member

But wouldn't that mean if in say TT mode you could more easily sit back and take a breather, review your options, or go for a pee on a convenient straight while other players are sticking to the principle of doing a fast lap in one go, and not a fast lap with a sandwich break?

7. Romeo Foxtrot

Currently the Pause button works exactly the same as the Escape key. The difference is that instead of acting as a toggle I now have to resume by reaching over for the keyboard or mouse. If you have your keyboard or mouse next to the wheel, as many might have, that issue is resolved for them - but not for me. The other problem I have is that the telemetry screen clears and I can only monitor tyre temps by recording a replay.

In AMS1 Pause is a toggle switch. That version also had a TT mode. If it was important in Time Trial (personally I'd find pausing a disadvantage and would prefer to start again - it takes a few seconds to get back into it after a pause) it could be disabled as I suspect it should in multiplayer.

On a side note, I live in rural Ireland where 'always on' is a concept (as much for electricity as for broadband) and fibre is always 'coming soon'. Anything online is not on my horizon, multiplayer or TT, unless I race in the office warehouse with my Logitech Momo wheel and CH Products Pro Rudder pedals.

8. jpmmuc

jpmmuc Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Mouse or keyboard are optional but not needed if your wheel has a D-pad.
    I'm playing most time in VR and so I like a simple and effective way to control the game. So for me as said if I press "pause" on my wheel I can change some things take a break and can also resume without the need of a keyboard or mouse.
    2nd point is this simple "pause'" would only function in single player and not in multi player.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. F1Aussie

F1Aussie Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I don't like using the keyboard at all in game, i have button boxes and so on on my rim so have about 80 mappable inputs, keyboards just are clumsy to use plus it's the 21st century not the 80's and 90's.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Marius H

Marius H Internal Beta Tester Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

Yeah, we need more button assignments. Buttonbox matter too. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Romeo Foxtrot

Thanks, jpmmuc. I had no idea I could control the menu system from the controller. That's really helpful.

All I have to do now is find out how to read my tyre temps while running fast enough lap times. This engine apparently only exports one temp per tyre and we don't have in-game telemetry analysis. Until then I still want a screen freeze - at least during Test Day! :)