1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VR - do I need more then just a Headset ?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by SaxOhare, Jun 27, 2020.

1. SaxOhare

SaxOhare Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I'm thinking about buying a VR headset.
    I just want to look around in the 3D world, I want to use my own controllers and there is no need for me to do it standing or walking.

I was thinking about a HTC vive cosmos elite HDM, or a Valve Index.
    Can i do with just buying the headset? or do i still need to buy and install base-stations?

2. neal

neal Active Member AMS2 Club Member

IINM both of those headsets require the base stations for tracking even though you may be sitting still.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. SaxOhare

I found out, I need a VR set with inside-out tracking.
    So the "Normal" HTC Vive cosmos will do,
    Now i have find out if i can buy it without the controllers

4. Peter Nielsen

Peter Nielsen New Member

If you're mainly into seated sim experiences, HP Reverb (late 2019 model) def has my recommendations.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Oskier

Oskier Member

I would just go for Oculus Rift S if you drive with speakers or latest HP Reverb but ideally wait for the next one. 2048x2048 px for (I think )700$

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. SaxOhare

@Peter Nielsen and @Oskier

Thanks, You are probably right about the HP.
    i looked further in to it, to find out the HP Reverb would be the most serious candidate.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Takfar

Takfar Member AMS2 Club Member

I've found the Samsung Odyssey Plus to work great. No need for external stations, and the screen-door-effect is nowhere to be seen. A lot less expensive than the Index, too.

• Like Like x 1
  8. InfernalVortex

InfernalVortex Active Member

As far as I can tell, you just cant get the Odyssey Plus anymore. I have one too and love it but WMR causes a lot of weird issues here and there. Cant turn off the gaze pointer in WMR either, even if its off in game.

You'll find yourself wanting the controllers for all kinds of things, I suggest you get them. Im constantly needing to the desktop to highlight the game app, because WMR likes to gaze point at things in the background and select things and cause issues, sometimes all the VR pop ups and boxes will somehow get selected behind the VR view when you're clicking through menus... It's just surprising how often you'll need to be able to just use the controller. I keep it next to me.

9. John Hargreaves

John Hargreaves Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I would highly recommend also looking into getting a bass shaker and a usb fan. Having a fan blowing in your face while racing in VR has got to be the best bang for buck immersion enhancement in the whole of peripheral land.

• Like Like x 1
  10. InfernalVortex

InfernalVortex Active Member

The fan is amazing! Keeps you cool, and in all the open top formula cars, its pretty amazing how much it adds to the experience!

• Like Like x 2
  11. Kdaneracer

Kdaneracer New Member AMS2 Club Member

You need a kickass Graphics card. I prefer the Pimax for racing. I have tried all the headsets and own most, but Pimax all the way for sims. Current software supports fixed foveated rendering. I have the 8KX set for delivery. Also, have eye tracked foveated render adapter on order. Been using 5K+ for 2 years with no real issues.