1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Feel of Formula vintage cars and tendency to spin out on throttle application

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Pixel, Jul 1, 2020.

1. Pixel

Pixel Active Member

Seems like the formula vintage cars have a tendency to spin out if you push the throttle just slightly hard, even on a straight. Now, I've never driven such a car so I don't know if it's accurate, so please let me know. However, some of the other cars in AMS2 had the tendency to do that too until they were properly tweaked and better default setups were implemented. Is it a matter of that they need an update? As a comparison, vintage formula cars in Asseto Corsa also have the same tendency, but seeing online videos of people driving them they just don't look that uncontrollable. What are your thoughts?

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. InfernalVortex

InfernalVortex Active Member

It's all in the setup!

Note I was excited to get into the 1m30s at the end and binned it in celebration.

For what it's worth, I really dislike the default setup on these. You may not like my setup either, but you can see my time trial setups on the leaderboards and try it.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. SaxOhare

SaxOhare Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Indeed probably your setup
    You can go in time-trial and try some setups from other players

4. Pixel

Pixel Active Member

Well, I meant the default setup. Didn't know I can 'borrow' setups from other players though.

5. InfernalVortex

load the ghost at whatever track you want to race at, and on the main splash screen you can click on the wrench icon next to the ghost name to load the setup. You can also load your own personal best and load your own setup off that if for some reason you did t save or overwrote your saved setup at some point and wanted to go back to what you know worked.

6. Koala63

Koala63 Member

Hi Pixel. Gaining some degree of competence with the F-V G1M1 has become an obsession for me. Better set-ups are indeed really helpful (thank you Infernal Vortex). If you load a ghost from the leaderboard, their set-up becomes available to you to load.

But for what its worth, another critical bit of advice (IMHO) is to imagine you have razor blades pointing upward on your brake and accelerator pedals and you are driving in socked feet. If you are pushing hard enough and suddenly enough to draw blood, you will bin it. Honestly I'm not trying to be smart asked or patronising - this is what I'm actually constantly reminding myself when I'm having my best F-Vintage laps and races. Smooth inputs are everything. Jim Clark's tires and clutches etc. didn't last about four times longer than everyone else's for no reason.

Cheers.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. 250swb

250swb Active Member

I think Reiza should put more effort into a workable default setup but the answer is all there in the setup pages but thought also needs to be given to driving style to get the most from the setup.

I start with a base setup 'borrowed' from the TT leaders, one that I can feel comfortable with (I don't know how some people go so fast with setups that I can't manage at all), then tweak it a bit here and there to make it race worthy. I favour the Jim Clark style of slow into the corner and early on the power for a graceful understeer slide out onto the straight, this means fairly constant throttle pressure so no big lifts or blips to slow you down by oversteering out of a corner. It means you aren't fighting the car all the time which never happened in real life, and also means it's possible to do longer races in the game with less risk of one mistake throwing it all away. So style and setup are connected, the fastest setup in TT may not be the best for a race anyway, but whatever setup you choose has to be driven in the style meant for it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Koala63

Koala63 Member

Honestly, I found that slotting in for a while, and finding a place inside the lead pack AI congo line (90/50) in single race has been really instructional for me.

Once I began to just settle in and start following close, I was amazed at how easy it all became and how only the most gentle of inputs applied in a timely way were needed to keep my place. Just applying throttle that little bit more patiently on corner exit and gentle application of brakes carries so much more speed than going all Tokyo drift. Overtaking opportunities also suddenly began to appear.

I suppose I might look back at this point in my sim-racing career as the part where I discovered the meaning of the term 'overdriving' and the extent of my own transgressions. :)

• Like Like x 3
  9. InfernalVortex

But going Tokyo drift is so much fun. I can't help myself.

I think maybe one thing to note is that without downforce, and having so much more power than grip, it really does come down to driving style with these. So you're probably going to have much more varied setup approaches than most other cars. Theres no aero grip to compensate and there's so much power to work around that it's just the nature of the beast.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  10. Andy-R

Andy-R Active Member AMS2 Club Member

You just need to get used to countersteering (which is tricky with the odd FFB in these now.) They understeer really badly so you can't take a traditional smooth approach, you have to get them rotating a bit on the brakes then continue it on the throttle to not lose too much time with severe understeer.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. InfernalVortex

I kind of agree, but I think a lot of that understeer is part of the default setup... It's a little easier to drive probably, but I think it results in a situation where trying to induce rotation is hard, and when you finally get it, it's a little sudden and hard to control. If you can balance the setup a little more, it's not so bad. The reason I dont think these cars innately understeer is just because with the right setup they will rotate really easily, and they dont have that much rear grip either.

But I suppose in the traditional view, if you're in a steady state corner and turn the wheel too far, it's going to plow straight on instead of spinning out. But a quick dab of trail brake and the thing will come around as slow or fast as you like.

12. Pixel

Pixel Active Member

What track or cars should I look at? Almost all tracks that I've looked at don't have any ghosts or setups. Maybe they were deleted for the 1.0 release?

13. InfernalVortex

Everything was wiped. I did set a lap at Imola, Ibarra, and Kyalami with basically the same setup, so you're welcome to try that. I make no claims to be a setup guru but I like how it drives. I lost some of my setups from before, though, so there's minor changes I need to "find" again... So it's not really finished. Especially I had the gearing figured out for each track, and now I dont anymore. :(