1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

v1.0.0.1218 - a sort of "simcade" when pushing

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Leclettico, Jul 2, 2020.

1. Leclettico

Leclettico Member

In version 1.0.1.1218 there was a step forward compared to the last one of Early Access, but there is still something that doesn't convince me and that has never changed since the first release.
    I noticed it trying to compete with AI.

No, I'm not referring to the value of AI.

The AI, from the beginning, has helped me to go faster rather than as an opponent to beat.

Every time I had a reference time and pushed to reach that reference, AMS 2 turned into a kind of "simcade".

Watch this 1.0.0.1.1218 video with the Stock Car.

Forget about the result of the laps (in the last one I also go oversteer at the end) and watch the split times.

The first lap was done by listening to the car, the tires and dosing the accelerator so that the wheels don't slip so as not to risk losing traction and time.

In the second lap I scrambled the Stock Car, making the tires squeak and sometimes drifting slightly.

I was faster on lap two!

But how?

I don't know if you can understand in the video, but in the second lap I felt everything but a simulation.

The wheels were whistling and I was pushing and drifting and getting better.

That's so weird.

It shouldn't be like that.

There's something "broken" about it. Is it just me?

• Disagree Disagree x 2
  2. Dady Cairo

Dady Cairo "Son of Spartakus" and "Leisure Nostradamus" AMS2 Club Member

3. Kurupt CDN

Kurupt CDN Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I am no expert but at the moment I'd just mark it down as one of the many bugs that need to be worked out.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  4. Dicra

Dicra Local Gamepad Ambassador AMS2 Club Member

I'm not one to dismiss criticism, but ... seriously? Look at the laps you did. The first one was, if anything, a race lap. You went much too slow through several corners, nursing the car around the track in a way that's visually below the limit, saving tyres.

On the second lap, you attacked. You were a bit overzealous at several points of the lap, and I'm pretty sure you lost time there, but you were much closer to the limit.

Of course you're going to be faster that way. You're also going to overheat and burn out your tyres, so the next few laps would have been quite a lot more spin-heavy and slower, but for one lap, driving at the absolute limit is the way to go.

• Agree Agree x 9
    • Like Like x 2
  5. Leclettico

Leclettico Member

Of course.
    But for the first time in a commercial sim, driving at the limit gives me a strange feel.
    I don’t know if the cause is also in the environment sounds and tires sound that unfortunately aren’t a reference in AMS2, by now; but the feeling with the car at the limit seems to me an unnatural behaviour: as if the car isn’t talking to me.
    Yes, I push, but I can’t understand where are the limits of the car I’m driving.

Later, I started to setup the Stock Car and I had a fun race, but in a way that seems to me that I was driving, not “simming”.

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  6. Sampo

Sampo Member AMS2 Club Member

Let's call it a "real feel". :)

I know I left a lot unquoted, and even misquoted, but I couldn't help myself. ;)

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. Leclettico

Leclettico Member

Ahahahah! You’re right! :)
    My bad skill in English causes me an epic fail! :D

8. Scoops

Scoops Member

If you really want to understand your laps better then you need to start to delete into the world of telemetry. It’s a very steep learning curve to start and not always needed.

I think second monitor works with AMS2? I have it on the PC but my sorted it out yet.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Leclettico

Leclettico Member

Thanks, Scoops.
    I already know (with all my limits) the benfits of the telemetry, and in other sims I used also MoTec. I'm waiting for AMS2 a more stable sim core, before trying to look at charts.

10. Mumblesh

Mumblesh New Member

This might have no relevance to this, but if you have been playing since the beta, have you deleted your Automobilista documents folder before trying version 1.0?

Important if you have a lot of setups and worth recalibrating your wheel anyways. Just checking.

Things change and the updates break them.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Leclettico

Leclettico Member

So kind, Mumblesh.
    It’s so good to have a community so close. Thanks.

Yes, I trashed the AMS2 folder in Documents and made all the calibrations and bindings again.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Guga

Guga New Member

More interesting than the lap/sector times (for me) is the fact there is virtually no difference in tyre temp between the two laps - despite all the overzealous power oversteer throughout lap two.....

“Something” definitely feels “off” about AMS2 since too o_O

• Disagree Disagree x 1