1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Discussion about annoying cockpit elements blocking view at low FOV

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by bobbie424242, Jul 3, 2020.

1. bobbie424242

bobbie424242 Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

With some cars, there is something that annoys me: mirrors or wipers getting in the way to see the track properly. I use a low FOV corresponding to my monitor size and distance to it (usually 50 or 55 depending on cars) and this problem is amplified with low FOV as such elements are bigger.

Take the Puma P052 for example: it has a large internal mirror that is placed at the most annoying position possible, overlapping the road even after altering seat height. That's especially annoying on tracks such as Oulton Park with elevation changes. To not get it in the way, I need to push the seat position much more forward than I usually do, to get past it (see attached screenshot) to the point it is more of a dash cam view than cockpit view.
    The SuperV8 has an annoying internal mirror too.

And there's the Metalmoro AJR with its annoying wiper just in the middle of the screen (windshield).
    Even if the real AJR has it in the middle of the windshield, it would be much more enjoyable to have it resting flat on either side. Now I'm reluctant to drive the AJR just because of this.

This will probably never happen, but I'd really like in the future for cars that need it a variant of the cockpit with:
    - wipers flat on a side
    - no mirror in annoying position
    - and more generally: no cockpit element that can get in the way at low FOV

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 3, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Coanda

Coanda aahhh whinge whinge f@#ken whinge.. Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

wipers, mirrors, LCD monitors should be placed where they are in real life.. I am sure Reiza are doing this..

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. Cliff

Cliff Member

Get VR. 2d sim racing is garbage

• Dislike Dislike x 7
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. Michael Magnus

Michael Magnus New Member AMS2 Club Member

You VR users are like militant vegans sometimes. You're subscribing to all the forums and get people mad about their 2D lifestyle.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. bobbie424242

bobbie424242 Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Except that in real life you are not seeing through a low FOV with huge mirrors and wipers right in front of your face and obscuring the track...
    Some (optional) concessions could be made for the restriction imposed by simracing setups. The F1 Halo falls into the same category.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Romeo Foxtrot

Romeo Foxtrot Active Member AMS2 Club Member

The issue for me is that the objects are painted on the screen in the same plane as the target view, i.e. the road so when both eyes focus on the road the obstruction is the same in both eyes and the suspension of disbelief is broken.

Wipers, door pillars, aerials, etc. should ideally be placed between the screen and the eyes not painted on the screen itself. When we look at the road in the real world we can effectively see through these objects. While being able to see them while sitting in the garage supports authenticity it actually detracts from the realism by behaving differently than the real world counterparts once you start driving and looking further ahead.

Personally, I find they insult my intelligence and turn my expensive PC into a cheap games console that I'd rather not play.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. SaxOhare

SaxOhare Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

If you don't get annoyed with everything, it's going to be a lot easier.
    Sometimes something gets in the way

8. Saabjock

Saabjock Member AMS2 Club Member

I'm okay with things that are supposed to be there in the real car...(wipers, rear-view mirrors, etc....).
    What I do want adjusted, are the pop-up messages.
    As it stands right now....they're too big and stay on screen way too long.
    I'd prefer them to be 'moveable' or simply smaller.
    Heck!....they don't even have to be text.....can be smaller symbols much like the symbols on your average instrument cluster.

9. Coanda

Coanda aahhh whinge whinge f@#ken whinge.. Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

They can be moved from HUD options --> Messages.

I agree on HUD scaling and Opacity..

10. Saabjock

Saabjock Member AMS2 Club Member

Thanks....I did not know that.