1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone using 5.1 sound setup in the game?

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by tk84, Jul 7, 2020.

1. tk84

tk84 Member AMS2 Club Member

Kinda asking from a more general rig set up point of view as I'm thinking about looking at adding a Logitech 5.1 speaker set up to my rig, not really sure how if it differs much game to game, but does anyone use this kind of set up in the game - does the surround work well, how about the sub?

As I say I suppose its more of a general question, but seeing as I'm spending pretty much all of my time in ams2 currently, I guess I thought I'd check in case anyone had some specific feedback about it in game.

2. Bull Shark

Bull Shark "Later has already begun." AMS2 Club Member

Headphone over here. Best sound for me.:D

3. Gordie

Gordie Active Member

Was using a 5.1 setup at the beginning of EA and for the most part it sounded great, a few cars had front/rear channels mixed up but most were fine. Sub worked good, there's the LFE setting in audio options so you can adjust levels to suit.
    I now use 3.1 as the rear speakers took up too much space and it works good with the front/rear being mixed by my amp.
    I imagine the audio in-game will get some attention in the future too so I expect it will only get better.

4. xkkkx

xkkkx New Member

Good surround is much dependent which soundchip u have and which options u have in the audio driver.

A budget 5.1 with 3.5mm audiojack can cause much problems in combination with onboard sound.

Minimum setup is a speaker set and a soundcard with spdif connection.

With a avr/decoder u can
    activate Dolby atmos, best surround on PC.

5. jpmmuc

jpmmuc Active Member AMS2 Club Member

But for this the programs have to support this Dolby / DTS encoding whereas PCM 5.1 needs only discrete channels. All codecs like Dolby / DTS needs encoding on game side and decoding on speaker side (which also adds a small latency). Also the bandwith of SPDIF is limited so a discrete connection to all speakers and using PCM in 3.1, 5.1 or 7.1 is the easiest way.

To answer the question of the OP. The 5.1 sound is really good (some bugs are there) for the most cars it's really immersive. Maybe you have to dial some of the effects in the audio settings to your liking.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2020
  6. xkkkx

xkkkx New Member

Im relative sure, If atmos is activated in windows, the PCM signal passtrough the encoded Dolby informations to the Decoder. earlier win10 versions gives real atmos signal, but since a update its only passthroug the information. If it was a pure PCM i could activate DTS:X but its not possible, because the Dolby information prevent the compatibily with DTS.

Project cars games has a Dolby Logo on the cover. I think madness engine has full Dolby support because of the consoles especially Xbox with their atmos support.

but I like to be taught/teach me a better.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2020
  7. SaxOhare

SaxOhare Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Is it possible to hear where the cars are, and where they are going, approaching from behind?

8. F1Aussie

F1Aussie Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Do any of you guys use headphones and have issues with onboard and / or reverse view audio disappearing? Has happened to me a couple of days ago have not been able to get it back, it varies from car to car.

9. TiezZ

TiezZ New Member

5.1 works great if your on board (motherboard) or sound card supports it.

Spdif connection is not mandatory for this. With an external amp it's even better to use HDMI over spdif... (Because of the Bandwith limitations which is already mentioned above)
    Personally I use 3 jacks from my soundcard to my amp because i prefer the sound options in the software (can adjust it on the fly without messing with my amp's settings)

Last edited: Jul 15, 2020
  10. Maser V6

Maser V6 Assume nothing._ Verify everything._Have fun AMS2 Club Member

Yes. Its great.

Sub is great addition max out lfb in game to 100
    Correct software driver is a must. Logitec should be fine but I have no experience of it.

(Cheap home theater amps are easy to find £100 or so and fantastic results and dolby options. 15 month old onkyo here, £90. thx certified bells and whistles 120 watt on each 7 channels.)

I have been messing with the sound for 2 days after buying new monitor/tv.
    Cockpit view
    Prio. win 7 , Realtek audio driver 7.1. pc Hdmi into Theater amp passthrough to tv. 7.1
    THx dolby Cinema
    Its awesome 5.1 should be to. Cars can be heard from behind and wherever they are on track. if I hit the wall with side of car, the sound comes from r/h/s or left speaker, not the fronts or rears but exactly were it would be irl..
    Pc2 Mercedes Group C coming up behind you at Spa H superb.
    Ams 2 has same excellent surround sound. Ac is good, RF2 dated by 30 years at least just stereo.

After new screen. I had issues wit the audio/video. Lost the realtek driver that showed 7.1 speakers in audio setup.
    (without ranting on about time/days wasted trying to find the drivers/ dolby drivers/Nvidia surround drivers)
    In short I had surround but not as good. Engines sounds were in the wrong place and weak, when they were correct before esp rear vintage. This issue was an ingame bug? for some.
    But it never was for me! Its more about the audio driver on the pc as i have discovered in my case after losing the correct Realtek driver.
    ie Nvidia driver only shows stereo speakers but will actually in game give surround but its poor with little sense of correct placement of sounds.
    Short solution yesterday was to uninstall (disable will not work) all sound drivers. Let windows go find 1and bingo I now have a full dolby decoding driver back and full placements.
    5.1, 7.1 or more well recommended.

Sidenote on headphones 5.1 sound
    back in the day I had these working fantastic 5 drivers in each ear including sub! and output for ext amp.
    I dont know about modern phones that claim surround, but if they dont have several drivers in each ear piece they wont be good just some simulated surround effect. phones.jpg
    :) sry for long post but surround sound done properly is well worth it. Even in h/phones

• Informative Informative x 1