1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anti aliasing

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by 2ndLastJedi, Nov 22, 2019.

1. Óscar Melero

Óscar Melero foxtochop AMS2 Club Member

I'm personally not a fan of TAA as I think it just makes any game worse. Put TAA in Assetto Competizione and look at that speed indicator in the car. It looks horrendus IMHO.

But I can understand that many people here are willing to give anything to get rid of shadow shimmering, and TAA will fix that for sure.

I'm not bothered at all by shimmering, nor it takes me out of the game experience. Hell, IMHO AMS1 graphics are more than okay, so shimmering is the least of my problems while playing any game.

So why not putting an extra option? TAA on/off (when ON, all other AA options are greyed)

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  2. Kurupt CDN

Kurupt CDN Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Is the in-game Super Sampling in VR working?
    I've tried at 1.0 & 2.0 restarting the game each time and it made no visual improvents or impacted performance on my GPU.
    SteamVR SS tho is working fine and makes a noticeable difference.

3. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Free speech matters AMS2 Club Member

I wonder how far along Reiza are with a better AA alternative? The shadows are the biggest distraction during the day but then at night the shimmer that comes of the rear of cars really ruins the night racing immersion :(
    This is just a bump really especially now we are getting double performance coming in the forum of Ampere from nVidia for a somewhat reasonable price I feel Reiza can go mad with some new AA "options". I say "options" because then people have the choice of cleaner image or more frames. At the moment even maxed out AA still looks poor.

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Coanda

Coanda aahhh whinge whinge f@#ken whinge.. Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

Is there anything in the pipe..?

Game is gorgeous except the night shimmering and tree shadows..

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Bull Shark

Bull Shark Later has long since begun. AMS2 Club Member

Don’t expect to much. Looks more like an engine problem which is hard to iron out. Pcars is no different AA wise. :(

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. Coanda

Coanda aahhh whinge whinge f@#ken whinge.. Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

matey i hope you are wrong.. :)

• Agree Agree x 4
  7. Bull Shark

Bull Shark Later has long since begun. AMS2 Club Member

Yes m2 but as long there is no confirmation from the developer I fear the worst.:eek:

8. 2ndLastJedi

Post 32 guys, this is always on my mind.
    Is @Heitor Facuri Cicoti still around? I haven't seen him lately :confused:

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  9. Marius H

Marius H Internal Beta Tester Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

Last seen. Januari 3.

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. 2ndLastJedi

Ive seen @Ilja Jusupov's name in the credits!!! Can this be brought over to the Madness engine?? This could really help the shadow issue.
    Before/After

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. NuScorpii

NuScorpii Well-Known Member

That looks promising!

There's another comparison shot for the highlights too.

I hope it's not just a high level of AA in those shots.

• Like Like x 2
  12. 2ndLastJedi

I purposely left this out of focus to show the issue in a still shot, in movement it is bad but it doesn't show up anywhere nearly as bad in stills.
    Still the reason i don't drive at night. Look how clean the rest of the image looks....then the back of the car in front....:oops:
    20211002174439_1.jpg

13. Roar McRipHelmet

Roar McRipHelmet Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

No amount of Anti-Aliasing will ever fix the problem with the aliased guardrails at Snetterton for me, since the aliasing happens in my VR headset. (The only fix would be if Reiza replaced the guardrail geometry with oldschool flat polygons and a simple guardrail texture)

Once I realized this inevitability, I accepted my fate and turned off all AA. It was jarring at first (especially the trees), but after a week I've now gotten used to driving in VR with AA off, and I'm enjoying the solid refresh rate that I gain as a reward.
    Oh yeah, shadows? Who needs them. :p

Sorry for the unproductive post - I'm just sharing my Anti-Aliasing realization story.

14. JAGLeMans

JAGLeMans Member

This is not an AA specific question. But can we expect Reiza to work on further graphical improvements over the coming months and years? Or are they limited by the Madness engine?

Recently I've been watching some back to back GT Sport & AMS2 replays. Maxed out AMS2 really does look fantastic. But one area I feel things are lacking are with reflective materials such as metal and glass. Both on cars and track surroundings. By contrast material work on tyres look's amazing in the showroom and on track.

With modern graphics cards pumping out AMS2 at 4K & 120fps+. It would be nice to have a few extra options to really push graphical fidelity. Obviously, everyone is talking about Ray Tracing these days. I'm not sure that's needed (or even possible).

• Like Like x 1
  15. 2ndLastJedi

Id be stoked if we got better windscreen rain drops and car spray undated to be more in line with AC with CSP and shadows and reflections updated to remove shimmer and flicker.

• Agree Agree x 3
  16. F1Aussie

F1Aussie Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

There are be still areas in AMS2 that tank even an RTX 3090. I wouldn't get to carried away about ability of these top end cards. In fps games sure they smash fps out of the park.
    In AMS2 I run all settings maxxed out and the fps drop well below 120 and even 100 in taxing circumstances. And can at race starts drop into the 70s or 80s depending on conditions. Replays are another story. At race start a few nights ago in bad weather my fps dropped as low as 38fps. That is the lowest I have seen in AMS2.

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. hu uashdiasuh

hu uashdiasuh Member

considering that the openvr api version is from +6 years ago, its really unsuprising that the rest isnt much newer either.
    the fps games that are supporting those cards are obivously optimized to use them
    ontop of everything, fps games dont have to calculate physics for multiple cars and track :3

18. 2ndLastJedi

I shouldn't laugh but just the thought that a $47000 :eek::whistle: PC can't run AMS2 at 60fps.

19. hu uashdiasuh

hu uashdiasuh Member

u can always turn down features that are pretty useless, like AA
    most stuff on medium look awesome too, but i guess if u want a large e-pen.. and flex that u run everything on max, u need to expect it to have some impact :D

20. 2ndLastJedi

AA useless? This whole thread would disagree with you :whistle: I'd rather have everything on Low to have AA or SS on Ultra :eek: