1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Formula Vintage Customizable Cars

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Damian Baldi, Jun 16, 2020.

1. Damian Baldi

Damian Baldi Active Member

This is a bit crazy idea, but it was done in the past with the FD, FV, Formula Libre cars back on the days of GPL.

As it looks like there wont be a car for each brand as it was in real life, I sugest the idea to have two chassises and three or four engines, that the user could choose from to build the car. The current DFV, the V12 and maybe a different V8 or V12 with different power curve and torque to create more variety.

I don't know how physics work on AMS2 engine, but the point should be that the engines should transfer their weight to the chassis to create the final car. Other option could be that the wheel base change if there is a V12 or V8 engine installed, that could solve the correlation with the graphics.

This way the car variety could increse and users could find their best car to drive, even in a championship cars could be asigned in some way to balance de grid, etc etc.

I think the most difficult part of all this, is to change the UI to allow this customization, the other option is to have the pre build chassis-engine combinations.

2. InfernalVortex

InfernalVortex Active Member

How about a vertically stacked pair of flat 8’s?

I think the issue here is they would have to model the chassis around the engine. Only one had the engine as a stressed member, so the rest need some amount of framework and fairings around the engine. It’s probably more work than we realize and then you have to make them handle differently and keep them balanced to some degree.

3. Damian Baldi

hmm vertically stacked pair of flat 8’s.....where I heard that? :D

I think the graphic side isn't the difficult part of all this. If that small part of bodywork over the v12 is not used, the assembly could work. If it works like in rf2 the physics/graphics/sound shouldn't be the problem. The difficult part of all this I think is the changes needed when you sellect the car.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Gevatter

Gevatter The James May of Simracing AMS2 Club Member

I think if Reiza wanted to pad the F-Vintage field, before implementing a more complicated mix 'n match system, it would be easier to reuse the M1 with small graphical differences (a la F-Classic G2M1 & M2) with a different V8 power curve, and maybe add another one with an H16 style engine.

5. 250swb

250swb Active Member

I think you are misunderstanding the problem. The V8 DFV was bolted directly onto the back of the chassis as a stressed member, meaning that it acts as a part of the chassis and suspension loads go through it. The V12's on the other hand are mounted as an unstressed component onto a chassis extension that cradles it. So the Lotus 49 has a stressed DFV bolted on behind the driver, the Honda, Eagle, Ferrari have an unstressed V12 bolted on top of a chassis extension underneath the engine. So if you tried to bolt a V12 from the era onto the Lotus 49 the engine would crack, it wasn't designed to be a stressed part of the car taking the suspension loads. If on the other hand you tried to bolt a V8 DFV into the back of the Eagle it wouldn't fit, the chassis extension would get in the way. So mix-n-match is impossible. It is not as simple as removing the cover on the engine, it's all about what is underneath the engine. The only car that comes to mind that used the Ford DFV as an unstressed component was the sports prototype Alan Mann Racing F3L/P68, so not even an F1 car.

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. Damian Baldi

I was thinking about the Repco v8 not the DFV, because it's an engine with torque and with less power than the DFV, or in another v12 as there were six different brands with V12 engines those years. It's possible to do from the 3D model point of view, you just need to add or remove 3D elements on the chassis bed (something already done).

chassis1.JPG chassis2.JPG

However, I don't think they will add more cars or options to this class.

BTW, the DFV 3D model seems to be too small compared with DFV installed on the Lotus/Matra/McLaren/Brabham chassises in real life.

7. 250swb

250swb Active Member

Ok you've cut things off to make it look like it would work, but you are cherry picking, a period V12 was never designed to carry the load of the suspension, and neither was a Repco. Which logically means you can only change from a V12 to a Repco V8 to be vaguely historically accurate in a fantastical sense. So one custom choice, V12 or Repco, is that worth it?

8. Damian Baldi

Nothing is historically accurate with these cars. The point is to have more cars to be able to have an online championship. With only two model it wont happen. You need at least two more cars, a slower and very difficult one, and a slower but easy to drive. That way you can balance the drivers, as it was with all the good leagues that lasted many years.

What I proposed are just ideas to have more cars without the need to make a new cars from cero.

The car with the DFV isn't a real car, what's the problem to try to create options? Isn't a 49, isn't a M7, a BT26 or a MS10, it's just a tube with a DFV. I didn't altered the models, those images with the 3D models are part of AMS.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. InfernalVortex

InfernalVortex Active Member

I mean... technically it's not even a DFV. It just happens to look kinda like one...

10. 250swb

250swb Active Member

We can all make a pretty accurate educated guess as to which cars the games models represent without Reiza paying royalties. And ask yourself, would players rather take part in a more or less accurate representation of the era or go off even further into fantasy? In the movie 'Grand Prix' none of the cars were real F1 cars, but we all know which real cars they are meant to represent. If that's as close as it gets for the time being I say leave it at that, after all it's hard to have serious conversations about how the differential works while basic engineering rules are being trampled on in a fantasy pick-n-mix formula.

11. Gevatter

I'm still firmly on the standpoint that it would almost certainly be less hassle to create two more F-Vintage cars with different engine configurations for more variety that implementing a system to mix and match parts not only physics-wise but also graphically.

12. Damian Baldi

The need for have more cars to have a good championship is still there, you can't imagine you are faster or slower than the others.

13. 250swb

250swb Active Member

And in so doing you water down completely the number of players who can take part in a healthy online Vintage championship with a good number of players to race against on a Friday night. And the 'pick-n-mix' approach to car spec is going to rule out every car you 'create' in the TT mode because there is no standardisation. Really, you want that?

14. Damian Baldi

Hmmm, I think Gevatter talks about waiting for Reiza to release two new different cars, and that is what I was talking about. I never said I was going to create mine own cars from parts (as I understand is not possible). My previous posts were about how create new cars with the minimun amount of work from Reiza reusing parts from other cars minimizing the need of a resources.

The point of all this thread, was to inform about the need of cars with a broad range of performance to balance the different drivers skills.

15. Gevatter

Choose one.

No, I want the exact opposite. I think we have a misunderstanding here :)

16. Damian Baldi

What are you understanding from that? I'm not talking about modding, I'm talking about to have chassis and engines to choose previously made by Reiza, in a way to have more combinations without the need of entire cars.

What's the problem with you guys? You see problems everywere.

17. Gevatter

This is how I understand your posts. First you write you want parts (chassis, engine, ...) for the user to choose from, then you write you never meant the user should create his own car from parts. That sounds like backpaddling. There may be a language barrier of sorts, but your whole idea seems to be to have parts and for players to pick and choose from, which you also brought for another series here REIZA - Can you please make F1 1991 (or GPL2...)?. Let me know what I'm misunderstanding here.

What I'm saying is that the system you propose is probably way more work for Reiza than just adding more cars.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2020