1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Multiplayer: Where is everyone?

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by GuiltySpark704, Jul 16, 2020.

1. GuiltySpark704

GuiltySpark704 New Member AMS2 Club Member

Every time I fire up some AMS2 hoping for some multiplayer action I find that hardly anyone is on. There are usually only a few lobbies with just a few people in them. I was hoping this game would replace Pcars2 for me in the multiplayer sense, I feel like the forums are pretty active so there has got to be an active player base. Maybe it's my location? I'm based on US East coast.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Marius H

Marius H Internal Beta Tester Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

Probably your location. There's some public lobbies online when it's evening in Europe. Your best bet is probably joining a league for some online awesomeness. Or use AMS 2 as your singleplayer sim, and iRacing for your MP/Dopamine-Serotonine needs.

Keep in mind most casuals and newcomers are brainwashed by youtube and all that and do think AMS 2 is some pCars 2 mod, so they do not want to play it. You can also give it some time and perhaps SPA, Nord and GT3/GT4's will make AMS 2 MP more popular.

3. Andy-R

Andy-R Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Mostly avoiding it whilst there is nothing in place to stop wreckers and the like. The odd time I have checked there have been no fun choices so I didn't bother.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  4. GuiltySpark704

GuiltySpark704 New Member AMS2 Club Member

I have been getting into the Spec Racer Ford on iRacing lately, man that thing is good fun. I really hope AMS2 picks up some traction because it has some unique cars that I think would make for some fun races. It has introduced me to several cars the past few months that I really enjoy. That is a good point you make though, I bet MP will see an increase when things like GT3 and popular tracks happen.

5. Juan Reinoso

Juan Reinoso Doctor SimRacing AMS2 Club Member

Bad netcode + bad penalty system = no people online

• Agree Agree x 8
  6. David Wright

David Wright Active Member AMS2 Club Member

The average number of people playing AMS2 at any one time yesterday was around 100 and the number playing in the evening for East coast US was around 50. The number racing online will be a fraction of this so I'm afraid its the small player-base. There are 10 times more people playing PC2.

• Agree Agree x 4
  7. steelreserv

steelreserv Well-Known Member Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

I've noticed the same thing. Probably for the reasons cited above. Plus, there are just so many different car options. Super8, Stock Car, G55 and Sprint Car seem to be the most popular from what I've seen. You's also see Formulas on GP weekends. Hungary this weekend probably.

I got into some fun Sprint Car and and G55 lobbies. Its a blast when there's people.

I can MP late EST, and its usually dead or they are racing cars I am not comfortable with. Maybe its just me, but I avoid MP when I am unfamiliar with car and track combinations.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Marius H

It can be a bit boring to see the same cars all over again. V8, 2020, G55, F-V10 and Sprintcar. Ah well. At last people enjoy AMS 2 :D

• Like Like x 1
  9. Damian Baldi

Damian Baldi Active Member

I'm hosting Formula Vintage Gen1 races every night for 12 players. Some days the host is full, and other nights just 2 join.

For those interested, I host usually at 22:00 GMT sometimes later

10. OldGamerGazza

OldGamerGazza Member

I have the same problem, no lobbies I want to join, I just start my own and usually get others joining.

11. Damian Baldi

I'll ask a friend who runs the PSR dedicated server to host Formula-Vintage races. The true is that the cars need to adjusted about brakes and tires to have better races. Most of the new comers leaves very soon.

12. Marius H

Well, the thing is mostly 2/3 of the field leaves because they crash T1, or crash during the race, or can't win or so. Last night I had a race with 6 people or so.. They all left. :rolleyes:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. steelreserv

makes some sense. if you want to MP with AMS2 you usually have to drive a car you've never driven on a track you've never driven with other people in the same situation. chaos and frustration ensue.

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  14. bobbie424242

bobbie424242 Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Maybe that's why online simracing is condemned in perpetuity to Spa or Monza in a GT3...

And then there's people like me that prefer keeping it to doing small races against AI on a track and car combo I like. Never been fan of online racing, too much constraints and the risk of ruining other people's race

Last edited: Jul 17, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Marius H

Well yeah. My evening was like a rollercoaster. First race I got like bodychecked 3 times by the same player. Last one send me half over the track. I was really furious. Could be top 3 or first place.

Then second race I had pole. Had a chaser behind me. Sweaty back. Few laps later the chaser spun out and then it was a boring easy race

Last race Sprintrace at Cadwell. Pole again. Somehow I managed to f*ck up my launch. So 6 or 7 laps I was chasing the guy front of me. Being very patient. Then boom. Passed him at the straight. Man, man. After finishing my whole back was soaked. My pants are soaked. Was so awesome. Tried to make him nervous, but he was calm af.

There's something SP can't catch.. And that's one mistake and you're 'out'

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. lawgicau

lawgicau Active Member AMS2 Club Member

There's only four races a week at the moment but simracingSystem.com supports ams2. Incidents and driver rating are tracked so you tend to avoid wreckers.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Darkmater

Darkmater Member

That was my hosted race. It was great to have you guys in it. I suck pretty bad and usually end up last, but it was great seeing people enjoyed the combo.

thanks for joining.

18. Damian Baldi

To be able to host races in our own computers it's really a great feature, because you could be racing with a couple of friends in just minutes with only a couple of clicks.

RF2 used to have that feature too, but it become unavailable time ago.

• Like Like x 2
  19. steelreserv

Last night I couldnt join a sprint car lobby even though they were still in Qually. Anyone know why you can join some, not others. Could it be connection related? (It was a portuguese server I think)

20. Wilfred de Ruijter

Wilfred de Ruijter Active Member AMS2 Club Member

With a time schedule, a car and a track in the lobby name it would be easier to collect a decent amount of drivers. Like in the example of Damian, now I know at 22 pm, I can race a Formula Vintage Gen1. And I can plan a MP race.
    Maybe it's possible to make a thread/topic to show the races that will be hosted, day, time, car, track and other information. It would help me a lot. Now I am searching for a familiar car and track (and usually I don't come across a session that will start soon). With the posted information people can choose their race (and even practice in advance) and plan to be online at that moment.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1