1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is Steam the Right Choice? [MindStream]

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Beccobunsen, Jul 25, 2020.

1. Beccobunsen

Beccobunsen Well-Known Member

I did a little tour on the AMS2 forum in Steam, it's fun, or sad.
    I understand that it is now the standard for the distribution of games, currently it has 87% positive rating on the platform, I do not know the sales figures or if it is worthwhile or not, I wonder if it is the right platform for a simracing or the only distribution platform (apart from the fact that steam is now huge pain in the ass of his own, and he has more problems than he solves).
    Having said that, do we need two different versions of the game for two different targets? (just follow me in the controversy) Ams2 Motorsport?
    It is only sad to note that the new generations (yes, there are no mid seasons etc) is not recognized the level of knowledge and skills for the development of a SimRacing (any Rfactor, Iracing, Lfs, etc). The level of disinformation and hatred for hating in comments is a symbol of the new times.
    This doesn't affect me personally (I have millions of things to discover and I'm a fan of vintage games and technicall stuff), it's sad for new players / simracers who perhaps take everything for granted and are no longer surprised at all.
    At least you have the right to comment after at least 20 hours of play.
    Is Steam just another filter that passes only what the "Society" of the moment wants to pass?
    Am I the only one who is happy at the moment to have at least the elettricity ad food with what is happening in the world and the rest is fine.?
    Do I look like someone who didn't take medicine this morning?
    ... And I don't want to start talking about music and movies

2. Micropitt

Micropitt Mediocre driver doing mediocre laps AMS2 Club Member

For what it's worth, iRacing is doing both, you can buy it and use it through Steam or you can download it from their website. I think there is a plus and minus for both of the models. Steam makes it easier to publish a game and distribute upgrades plus it also is a advertisement and showcase platform.

3. Mahjik

Mahjik Active Member

Steam, in the case of the Madness engine, is providing a lot more than just a sales point. The entire cloud saving/storage, time trial leaderboards, etc are all provided by Steam. That's not to say that it cannot be done outside of Steam, but that's a huge costs to the development teams that they don't need to incur while using platform resources from Steam. There is a reason there is a monthly fee for iRacing. Grand Turismo and Forza are first party titles for their respective platforms and have a lot more finances behind them.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Micropitt

Micropitt Mediocre driver doing mediocre laps AMS2 Club Member

Interesting, I had no idea that Steam is saving certain in-game data. Then it makes a lot of sense to use Steam.

5. pavig

pavig Member

Also SteamVR for everyone who doesn't have an oculus branded VR headset.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. InfernalVortex

InfernalVortex Active Member

to be clear I think you can use steamvr without buying the game through steam (like iRacing), but I think A Steam version may be part of the deal.

7. YoLolo69

YoLolo69 Active Member

Sorry for OTT but does OpenComposite work fine with AMS2 (Files · master · Campbell Suter (ZNix) / OpenComposite · GitLab Because when I don't have any other choice (like IL-2 Sturmovik not using Oculus SDK) I use it and get a nice FPS boost and stability improvement vs using SteamVR. did domebody tried it? it's just a DLL to drop in the game directory...