1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Automobilista 2 V1.0.1.0 & Hockenheimring Pack RELEASED - Now updated to v1.0.1.2

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - News & Announcements' started by Renato Simioni, Jul 24, 2020.

1. Beccobunsen

Beccobunsen Well-Known Member

I understand Reiza's problem right now.
    Who asks for something who asks for the opposite (including me).
    More realism, less realism, too easy , too complicated.
    People who want to try the experience but don't have a chance to have a decent setup.
    Maybe a collection of decent setups to choose from without a degree in engineering, a global setting to minimize car harshness?
    Less frustrating button?
    What is real? if my minivan does not go off the road at 70 k / h when cornering, why does a race car do it?
    Who knows.
    I need a cofee.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. Aza340

Aza340 Active Member

Great work , thanks Reiza .
    Just one question regarding FPS , are you aware of any problems over the last couple of updates that could cause heavier GPU / CPU usage compared to earlier versions ?
    Thanks and keep up the fantastic work .

3. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Internal Tester AMS2 Club Member

I will just echo that the Stock Car 2020 is not particularly difficult to drive (by sim car standards). That doesn't mean it will drive like a console race car, but it is not devilish or unpredictable. It is very predictable--in that it is a bit nervous and the default set-up causes rotation under braking. This rotation may be too much for people who prefer their race cars to handle like road cars, but it is exactly the type of set-up one should expect for a race car. Since it is predictable rotation, it can undoubtedly be dialed-out with changes to the set-up.

I have also heard people wailing about cars like the Gol or Uno because they do not handle like the road car versions. No kidding. The road car versions are so incompetent that they wouldn't be allowed on a race track. You have to make major changes to a FWD car to get it to corner well on a race track, and the AMS 2 default set-ups reflect that.

Should Reiza provide more docile set-ups for beginners--absolutely! We want people less familiar with real racing to not be scared or frustrated, which I am sure is happening as described above. Just be aware that these "safer" set-ups will also be slower, so you can't have it both ways. However, it would be perfectly reasonable for a beginner's league or a beginner's server to force all to use a beginner set-up for the race. There will be fewer spins and more fun for that audience.

• Like Like x 5
  4. Micropitt

Micropitt Mediocre driver doing mediocre laps AMS2 Club Member

This is a rather subjective statement based on your personal skill level. Lesser skilled people will have a different experience. When I drove the Stock Car for the first time it was a horrible experience and I wasn't able to complete one single lap in a somewhat decent way. Lots of practice and changes to the Differential setup changed things for me. In other words, I gained more skills ;)

5. Renato Simioni

Renato Simioni Administrator Staff Member

Regarding feedback on the Stock 2020 cars, it´s worth taking into account the car hadn´t really run in a race when they were added to the game - we did consult with the lead engineer extensively during its development and we did get the performance of the car just about right when checking against their pace this weekend, but there should naturally be room for improvement as we come to learn more about it, even if it´s not - in real life or in the game - a major departure from the old car; most of the changes indeed only made it "worse" from a handling perspective in comparison to the old car (but better from a racing perspective, which was their goal).

In fact there is still room for evolution with any and all cars in the game, as is made obvious by the fact we are continuously updating them :) The most substantial developments in physics are still coming from getting a better grasp on the new physics engine - not the aero, suspension, engine or chassis models which are very similar to what we had in AMS1 as are the values we are inputting to them for each car, but the tire and driveline models which are considerably different vs the old engine and where most improvements are and will continue to be made.

Which is not to say the cars that are added to the game haven´t already had a lot of homework done to them to verify we are more or less in the right ballpark, but mistakes can and have been made and as we find them we´ll continue to rectify them and pursue any margin we have to make the overall physics model more accurate.

By the same token, it would be fair not to immediately conclude this or that car is wrong based on the impression you had by watching a few onboard videos ;)

There hasn´t been for a few months now any changes that should have caused any perceptible loss of performance, and we haven´t verified any internally while testing in a variety of systems. But PC gaming is PC gaming, your performance can always be spoiled by some change of config, an OS update or some some other software playing interference.. It´s worth checking on what else may have changed in the time you´ve noticed this drop.

• Like Like x 15
    • Informative Informative x 10
  6. Aza340

Aza340 Active Member

Yes that's very true , thanks anyway for the fast response . Enjoy the rest of the day Renato .

7. CrimsonEminence

CrimsonEminence Administrator Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

I disagree with the difficulty part.
    It's pretty difficult to drive on edge...it's basically a "feeder" (i don't mean, it's a feeder car, but a preparation for all race cars, you can think of) for 4 wheel slide and throttle control, using on throttle rotation and brake application. Push it on Velo Cítta and especially in the last turn on this track, try to get everything out of it, without spinning. It's like balancing a ball on another. If you really find the point, where it just reacts to drivers smoothness, it's even irrelevant how the setup is. :D

It's pretty predictable in change of balance over a stint though. If you manage to get your fronts worn out faster, you're fine, but pray, you don't f* up your rears first, or you're done. It will become a lot harder to drive, especially out of corners, after 4 laps on track. The out lap is literally the best feeling in the SC2020.

I'm a fan of this car type. It teaches habits, you can use for basically everything. I don't think, they're broken. It's actually one of the brilliant cars in AMS2 IMO.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  8. bobbie424242

bobbie424242 Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I would make the default Stock 2020 car setup a bit more stable.
    In its current form, I understand that this car can be off-putting for some people.
    Although I do really enjoy these kind of cars.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Helleno

Helleno Active Member AMS2 Club Member

It's very informative, Renato. I was watching the real race in Goiânia this weekend (the first race of 2020 model) and just wondering how should be to model a car that even drivers and engineers don't know how exactly he would behave in certain scenarios. For example, during TV broadcast was said the car was mainly tested in Velocitá but Goiânia have the longest straight of the calendar and they don't know for sure how brakes would work in race conditions, in a very hot day like that. Team's had a lot less hours of test that they would have if not because this pandemic. Every testimony of professionals involved that I saw to the moment was saying the car is harder to drive than the old one and a lot of pleople saying the brakes are one of the mainly differences once they had to brake earlier than before. Looking what Reiza reached for this car at this conditions, I am looking forward to what it will become after they have more feedback about it. By the way, I am waiting for the driver model to use those buttons over our head to turn the machine on (annoying VR player alert :p).

Edit: spell

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  10. CrimsonEminence

CrimsonEminence Administrator Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

Normally i would totally agree BUT in this case, it will harm its pace by quite a lot, if you make it more tame, IMO. I have tried to make it more calm on exit with diff tweaks and some other stuff and you basically notice it immediately in the delta out of every single corner. This car wants you to drive correctly, instead of covering up bad habits in driving by setups. It's one of the most driver dependent sim-cars, i have ever experienced.^^

• Informative Informative x 1
  11. Gordie

Gordie Active Member

Thanks for that insight, very informative and much appreciated :)
    Could we get more of these to settle the various other disputes that crop up from forum to forum? Perhaps then we can stop having to analyse onboards to keep our own sanity in check :D

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Internal Tester AMS2 Club Member

Renato doesn't have time to write the same story about every car in the game. I don't know a single car where there are not diametrically opposed views regarding how good/bad, easy/difficult, realistic/unrealistic.

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  13. Gordie

Gordie Active Member

It was a tongue in cheek comment man, calm down, jeez :rolleyes::D

• Funny Funny x 2
  14. jlnprssnr

jlnprssnr Member AMS2 Club Member

I'd certainly like some Reiza-love applied to pCars' rather complicated diff menu, ideally limited to diff types and load values limited to those of the real cars, at least ballpark values.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Renato Simioni

Renato Simioni Administrator Staff Member

We always strive for a default setup that is at once docile and a decent baseline for the wide variety of tracks in the game, admitedly with varying degrees of success. The other side of the coin is that then it feeds into the commentary about how easy they are to drive and how it goes 20km/h short of the real top speed because the car is running almost twice the wing angle recommended for that track ;) It´s a tricky balance but another aspect of the game we´re always trying to improve.

Some minor work has already gone into the Stock2020 in today´s update, hopefully it helps a bit.

I do try.. But in between running production, running the business, developing physics and AI it´s often hard to find the time to engage more on the forums. I´ll keep trying ;)

I am however doing some writing on all the cars in the game for the official website, it won´t be particularly in-depth but should at least provide some extra references.

• Like Like x 20
    • Winner Winner x 2
  16. Ricardokil

Ricardokil Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I think you didn't know how to interpret what I said, you must be missing something, I never said that I was right or wrong, I said that every time something is asked here, people like you write a lot of nonsense, I'm just answering you now , because the answer is straightforward for me, because if it weren't, I would read and ignore it, nobody is obliged to agree with me, but if you don't have anything to add or help answer your doubts or criticisms, ignore the comment, but no whenever you say something about anything that is negative to the game, people like you show up, what did your answer help me with? what did you add? nothing, on the contrary, only reinforces what I say and several have already said here, you cannot criticize, if it is well founded or not, you cannot criticize, you want me to write that (everything is wonderful), everyone I know is loving the Stock2020) (Stock is a pleasant car, at hand) satisfied? you can sleep peacefully today, I make it very clear if you agree with something here in the comments, support, if you don’t like deslike, disagree, but if you don’t have anything to add to the person ignore it and don’t keep saying that (for me it’s good) because nobody here and the center of the universe and a game was not made for one person, but some think so ...

• Dislike Dislike x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. BrunoB

BrunoB TT mode tifosi BANNED

Instead of asking Reiza to create a more stable setup for this car then maybe a few users with good experience in this car could upload the settings for a more stable setup - to be copied by users struggling to setup this car.
    That could be a good way of showing some community spirit:)

• Like Like x 3
  18. Micropitt

Micropitt Mediocre driver doing mediocre laps AMS2 Club Member

The update to the Stock Car feels great. Thank you :)

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  19. Gordie

Gordie Active Member

I know, it was meant in jest because you mentioned onboards ;)
    Apologies for upsetting your PA :D

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  20. Ettore

Ettore Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I agree. It is to a certain extent the sim racer duty to customize the car the way they feel it suits them better. Obviously, some people will not have the time, the patience or the the knowledge to develop them but there are alternatives: some leagues have their "setup factory" in their discord, internet also provides set-ups for almost every sim. Even if you google how a limited slip differential works you will find the basics on what the parameters that you read in the set-up do :p. I'd rather see developers spending time to improve on the UI, MP, ranking etc. than developing setups. That is our duty :whistle: