1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Night driving and brightness calibration

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - Help & Support' started by JoshOz, Aug 4, 2020.

1. JoshOz

JoshOz Member

Hi all,
    I've tried driving at night but find it to be too dark. I realise not all cars have headlights but when they do I still can't see well enough to drive. Is there any form of brightness/gamma calibration in AMS2. Most games come with some form of simple calibration which usually helps. Any information regarding this issue would be appreciated.
    Thanks,
    JoshOz.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. XTRMNTR2K

XTRMNTR2K I WANNA GO FAST! AMS2 Club Member

I'm with you. Night driving is - so far at least - one of the things that disappoints me the most about AMS2 in its current state. As has been pointed out in another thread, headlights don't have enough reach. At least in most real life endurance series that do night races the lights are a lot brighter/have better reach.

I was actually pleasantly surprised by how well ACC does this, and found night racing in that sim to be an enjoyable and memorable experience.

That being said, I think there is a reason at least some of the vehicles have such dim headlights; as far as I understand the Endurance Brasil series cars aren't really well-equipped for night races, with most vehicles having to add external extra lights to get enough illumination for proper racing at night.

In my personal opinion it would be more beneficial overall to either change these headlights to have more reach or add a separate 'high beam' setting (whereas the current one would continue to exist as 'low beam').

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. kodnin

kodnin Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I agree, I'm having a hard time looking into the distance. The headlights seem too bright and are pointed relatively close to the car.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. XTRMNTR2K

Well said - it really doesn't look natural at all, IMHO.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. JoshOz

JoshOz Member

I'm kind of relieved to hear others are not totally happy with the brightness level at night. Strange that you mention the high/low beam XTRMNTR2K, because the first thing I did in AMS2 when I started a night race was to look in the control settings for high/low beam only to find a single setting for headlights. I was going to mention Assetto Corsa in my original post but didn't want to complicate the point of my post but at least in that game you have high/low beam option plus a few other methods to lighten up the track for night driving. And yes I understand that is an older game and has a lot of user development but still it's a good reference point. I like the weather effects in AMS2 but until there is improvement in either the car headlights or a way to alter brightness levels, I don't think I'll be competing in any night time events.
    Do either of you know if there is any way to calibrate brightness levels in AMS2. Any hidden options tucked away in config files???

• Like Like x 1
  6. kodnin

kodnin Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I'm not sure the devs will read each an every of these topics though. Maybe post some kind of summary of these findings with a link to this thread in one of the Reiza started feedback threads? Is that something for you @JoshOz? Can you access the beta forums?

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. Micropitt

Micropitt Mediocre driver doing mediocre laps AMS2 Club Member

I have to agree that right now the lights are not very good for night driving. At some point in the future I would love to participate in 24 Hour Endurance races with AMS2 and hope Reiza will address the light issues in a future update.
    Looking at the Imperio Endurance Brasil, some of the Teams do add additional lights to the cars:

AJR-Lights.jpg

MRX#72.jpg

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Bhabani Sankar Mishra

Bhabani Sankar Mishra New Member

Any fix yet?

9. JensE1976

JensE1976 New Member

Is there a Option high and Low beam? I only have one light Option

10. XTRMNTR2K

I won't say anything more specific right now since any possible developments are subject to change, but instead will quote Renato's latest news post for clarity:

Source: Automobilista 2 V1.5.5.0, Le Mans & Endurance Pack Pt1 RELEASED!

In other words, something like a high beam option isn't in the public release version yet, but there is work being done to provide better visibility when using headlights at night. When any such improvements will be made available to the public I don't know, but if I had to guess I would say it'll be sooner rather than later. :)