1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VR Discussions, Questions & Feedback

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Heitor Facuri Cicoti, Apr 5, 2020.

1. tlsmikey

tlsmikey Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I'm noticing a bunch of stuttering using my Valve Index even though the frames never drop below 90FPS. Anyone else see this? I'm just hot lapping with medium settings and it's stuttering in several corners in the f1 cars at Imola. Not sure what's happening. Reprojection is off.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. NuScorpii

NuScorpii Well-Known Member

I've done a number of tests with my CV1 and enabling SS actually makes general image quality and shimmering worse. Best visuals are achieved by increasing sharpness in graphicsconfigoculusdx11.xml and increasing MSAA as high as possible while keeping good fps with rain and night conditions.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 4
  3. John Caetano

John Caetano Member

**DEV Team, special request:
    using the following "-vrnomirror" launch params. we get a decent boost in FPS. The downside is we don't get a mouse pointer in the UI. Can you please consider looking into this and promoting this parameter to help those who struggle with frames in VR? Would love to hear from you on this subject. Thank you!

Last edited: Aug 8, 2020
    • Informative Informative x 6
    • Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 4
  4. sgsfabiano

sgsfabiano Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I support that request, since we can't navigate to many options/settings with the wheel or keyboard alone, what makes AMS2 have quite a messed up menu control.

5. Bull Shark

Bull Shark "Later has already begun." AMS2 Club Member

Yesterday I played in VR since a long time ago. Last time was with Pcars2.
    AMS2 looks the same but runs smoother.
    It was nice to sit in a car again. One thing I noticed directly, in pancake mode you don’t see depth of course. In VR you do, I hopped in a sprintrace car and had no idea that the windshield and the hood are that far away from sitting position. Really an eye opener. That is why I love VR.
    So I will put on my VR more often just for this kind of fun.
    I still prefer my triple setup but VR once in a while is great to go for,

• Like Like x 4
  6. Gordie

Gordie Active Member

That's bizarre as I did the exact same thing last night! My Rift has been gathering dust for over a year and I decided to try out last night :D

• Like Like x 1
  7. GregzVR

GregzVR P1 passion, P10 talent.

As a die-hard VR boi, what I’m reading in these last two posts is sacrilege! :eek: :D

• Agree Agree x 10
    • Funny Funny x 3
  8. Gordie

Gordie Active Member

It's a comfort thing, I recognise VR is great for immersion but coming from running rF2 endurance events and having 1440p triples, the Rift took a backseat.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Bull Shark

Bull Shark "Later has already begun." AMS2 Club Member

Same for. Immersion wise there is nothing what can beat VR.
    But the lack on comfort is a major drawback. Plus you can’t use 2nd screens.
    That said, VR is just a thing Which I’m glad I can experience.
    I would never have liked Elite Dangerous the way I did if I didn’t had my Rift. that was really a game changer..

10. Michael C Turner

Michael C Turner New Member

Oddly enough, I've been fiddling with these settings in AMS 2 and PC2 and It seems like PC2 is not an entirely different level than AMS is currently. Same values in the sharpening filter, I even better fps USING in game SS @ 1.3 in PC2 while using no SS through the Tray tool in AmS 2. Anyone else experience this?

11. Leynad

Leynad Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I'm back on VR as well since my Samsung needs repair:mad:. Is there a way to position the hole HUD more up? The highest position is fully in my viewing field.

12. Kiryu

Kiryu Member

I have the same issue but with a CV1.

It's not only happening on certain corners, it also occurs when warming up tires by steering left and right in quick succession, which is very weird and certainly not performance related o_O

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. pavig

pavig Member

I even get the same stutters in 2D mode on corners on occasion. Have spent ages trying to figure out what is causing it.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  14. tlsmikey

tlsmikey Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I went all the way back to low settings and I still have it. It seems more pronounced on the faster cars like the f classic and f Reiza.

15. jpmmuc

jpmmuc Active Member AMS2 Club Member

The HUD in VR is adjustable in 3 dimensions. You can move the HUD position on the fly in distance, size and angles.
    See this post for the shortcuts: VR Discussions, Questions & Feedback

Also you can move single elements like in 2D, but in VR it's not always easy to grab the right element. See this post: VR Discussions, Questions & Feedback

• Informative Informative x 2
  16. Kiryu

Kiryu Member

I have to correct myself...apparently i had a framelimiter running by accident and that caused the issue. Raced against 23 AI in the V8 on Adelaide and everything was smooth as butter. VR in this game is really incredible.

17. mist3rf0ur

mist3rf0ur Member

I'm using an Index. I just want to say that between PC2 and AMS2, I have always used some super sampling over MSAA on high. I used to go off of video guides on VR sim performance and I'd set similar settings. Everyone would always say keep your MSAA at Low-to-Med due to performance.

MSAA high gives me so much more clarity and I think it's because it's a combo of cleaning up aliasing (which is extremely noticeable in VR) and reducing the shimmering associated with SS.

I really recommend people to use MSAA High over SS. If you need to drop some other visual fluff settings to do so the clarity jump is perfect in combination with sharpening.

Next up is hopefully Reiza somehow gets DLSS 2.0 and 3.0 into this game. I'm planning on getting a 3000 series GPU and this would probably become the best VR sim available.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 4
  18. OldGamerGazza

OldGamerGazza Member

DLSS would be great, to my knowledge there is not a single sim using DLSS, this seems like the perfect way to get free performance, I don't understand why it is not more used?

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Neawoulf

Neawoulf Advanced Casual Sim Driver AMS2 Club Member

I get these stutters mentioned as well in VR on two different systems. But weirdly they don't happen randomly, the mostly happen at specific places and they happen later with lower details. Maybe it's some LOD-loading, i don't know. Don't think it's ffb or physics related since it happens in replay mode as well.

Back then i made a list of tracks, but i didn't include most of the newer tracks:

Tracks i've tested so far with stutters on track:
    - Imola, all versions versions (Rivazza/corners 14 and 15)
    - Londrina Long (Area around Estádio)
    - Londrina Short (Caixa D'Água)
    - Oulton Park, all versions (Druids corner and Lodge corner)
    - Ortona, all versions (no stutter on track, but when leaving pitlane near exit before turning left)
    - Santa Cruz do Sul (through turn 1)
    - Interlagos, modern (tiny stutter at Bico de Pato exit)
    - Interlagos 1976 (single stutter through Laranja)
    - Jerez (Turn 1/Expo 92)
    - Cascavel (exit of Curva Cinco, another one half way through Curva Seis)
    - Curitiba/Curitiba Oval (always between Esse de Baixa T2 and T3, sometimes through Pinheirinho T8 and Vitória T11)
    - Montreal, modern (towards second chicane (turn 8/9))
    - Montreal, historic (through hairpin L'Epingle)
    - Velo Citta, both versions (between Curva do Guiga and Curva 10, a bit random)
    - VIR, all except Patriot Course (T4a, towards the white building)

Perfectly smooth tracks without any stutter:
    - Jacarepagua
    - Adelaide, modern and historic
    - Spielberg GP, modern
    - Azure Circuit
    - Kansai, all versions (couldn't test Kansai West because invisible wall)
    - Kyalami historic
    - Brands Hatch GP and Indy
    - Cadwell Park
    - Campo Grande
    - Curvelo, both versions
    - Donington Park, both versions
    - Goiania, all versions
    - Ibarra
    - Velopark
    - Londrina Kart, both versions
    - Guapore, both versions
    - Snetterton 300
    - Spielberg, all versions
    - Taruma

Btw. this happens on some tracks in PC2 as well.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. DaWorstPlaya

DaWorstPlaya Active Member

I'm not sure if Reiza can update the SMS engine to support DLSS but supposedly Nvidia has made it really easy to integrate into existing games.

What would really be awesome for AMS2 VR is if Reiza could some how support Nvidia SPS or SMP (next version of SPS) tech. VR would probably get an easy 20% boost with just SPS. Add DLSS to that and most games would no longer be so GPU limited in VR. Unfortunately most of this is RTX tech (SMP and DLSS), however SPS is supported on older GTX GPUs.

• Agree Agree x 3