1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Automobilista 2 Custom Force Feedback - Overview & Recommendations

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Karsten Hvidberg, May 30, 2020.

1. torsteinvh

torsteinvh Steam: Nietzroth AMS2 Club Member

Anyone with a Podium DD1 or DD2 that want to share their settings and/or experiences with custom files?

I have tried both NuScorpii's Heavy Messing 2.5 and Karsten's Silver Raw 6.4 and like them both.
    But both also cause rather violent oscillations on my DD1, something I don't experience with the standard settings. I mostly drive the various F1 cars, but had oscillations with the Ginetta GT4 as well.

My settings are:
    In-game:
    Gain 50
    LFB 5
    FX 50

Fanatec:
    FFB 50%
    Natural Damper 25
    Natural Friction and Inertia both Off
    INT 4
    FEI 80%

2. Fernando Zamora

Fernando Zamora Member AMS2 Club Member

Hi.
    I think the custom files are a big improvement over Reiza's standard. But the feeling I have is that the wheels are made of wood and not rubber. I feel like the wheels are solid. There is some parameter that can be modified to improve this feeling. I own a TM TS-PC Racer.

3. Shadak

Shadak Active Member

I have a DD1 and no issuee. But I use natural friction instead of damper. Damper is around 5 friction around 10 I think.

4. torsteinvh

Hmm... Tried your friction and damper settings, and that made my oscillations even more violent...

The default FFB is fine, so there must be some parameters in the custom files that cause the oscillations.

5. Bull Shark

Bull Shark "Later has already begun." AMS2 Club Member

I use the default settings for FFB. When I stand still and do not hold the steering wheel, it starts oscillates like crazy.. I don’t know how to prevent that from happening. Anyone an idea?:D

6. Dean Ogurek

Dean Ogurek "Love the Simulation You're Dreaming In." AMS2 Club Member

Increasing Damper & Friction are generally the most effective means to reduce oscillation in my experience but, may come at the expense of some ffb details. If the details are too harsh at lower Friction / Damper settings, then it's beneficial to increase those anyway. It's often a matter of finding a good balance (sweet spot) between the desired level of ffb detail and little to no oscillation.

If you find the wheel-driver settings are not very effective at achieving a good balance, fine-tuning a custom profile for your wheel & preferences may be the better solution.

7. torsteinvh

Exactly, so I'm looking for pointers as to what parameters in the custom files i should modify in order to tune down the oscillations :)

8. Chip

Chip Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Tried the latest "experimental" file, and woah, it's viceral! Out of the box, I think there's a little too much going on (e.g. too many overly-emphasized and competing effects), but I think it definitely has potential! Can't wait to feel the progress as it gets fine-tuned. Thanks for all of the work :)

9. LugNut

LugNut Active Member

Hi,
    Let me say thanks to Karsten,NuScorpi and lexar for their time and effort!

I use an old logitec, and ffb in ams2 felt hard to turn/no details or with some custom ffb files, ocilated bad even standing still.

I then used the latest silver raw and adjusted a couple of values....momentum resistance to under 1.5 and scale to 0.8. Does the scale sound right?
    Withe these changes and setting in game to 100/0/65 my wheel has come alive! From bad ffb to one of the best I've felt! Hardly any dead in the center and I can feel the front brakes lock up etc.

Another question pls.....
    Where do you guys get the info for the available tweak able parameters to develop these files?

And a bonus round:) ...
    Using silver raw, what's the best way to get the wheel to "lighten up" when rear grip is lost?

Thank you again coders for these ffb improvements!

Last edited: Aug 16, 2020
  10. Karsten Hvidberg

Karsten Hvidberg Well-Known Member

Quick message that the latest non-experimental version "Silver Raw 6.6.5" has been posted in post #2 of this thread.

This is a somewhat special file as it replaces the Reiza Rack completely for the first time. Not really the idea from the beginning, but it just happened over time.

This also means I now have an experimental version that works on Project Cars 2, since it only required a few lines of changes to work. This also was never the intention, but in case somebody's interested, just post me.

(@LugNut I think this one might light up your wheel on rear grip loss.)

Again huge thanks to the usual suspects and everybody in this forum for comments & requests. Most important credits are in the file.

Direct link here for easy access:

https://forum.reizastudios.com/attachments/ffb_custom_settings-full-silver-raw-6-6-5-txt.9008/

(there are a few adjustments being made to this in reg. to the bumps and the lateral force on grip loss, so will prob. post that here too one of the coming days)

Last edited: Aug 16, 2020
    • Like Like x 7
  11. Luis Felipe Cortes

Luis Felipe Cortes New Member

I love to test the PC2 file

This one runs great in AMS2 but i need to tune down the FX to 20 (gain 85-lfb20) in a G29

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Micropitt

Micropitt Mediocre driver doing mediocre laps AMS2 Club Member

Just tested the file with my Thrustmaster TX with the recommended settings (85/20/50) using my beloved AJR Honda in Interlagos. I have to say, that was impressive. That high speed shake on the start/finish straight is awesome. Also great feeling at over/understeer. Good work, mate.

13. Karsten Hvidberg

Karsten Hvidberg Well-Known Member

Micropitt,

Did you try it at lower gain as well?
    It being a high down force car I think you might like it at gain 50 or 55 too, see what happens when you speed it up.
    Same for v10, but maybe even slightly lower gain 8)

Cheers

14. Micropitt

I'll give it a try here in a minute. Thank you :)

15. Micropitt

Just tried 55 gain and it seems to low for me but a 65 does feel pretty good. But we are also now talking personal taste. So, for me personally 65 is a good number.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Slapshot82

Slapshot82 Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I've found that the Heavy Messing v2.5 files really fit the T300 wheel base exceptionally well, as this wheel base does have a tendency to act quite temperamental between the different files. One of the biggest gripes that seems to continue is that the FFB isn't well suited across the wide variety of cars on offer, and I tend to agree. I also got burned a bit on having to tweak settings when swapping cars, due to time limitations. I wanted the ability to sit down and race with the best possible FFB for the cars I tend to drive the most and decided to start creating car specific files.

I've attached my files for the Ultima GTR and COPA Montana, both files come with a "Notes" file which includes the optimal settings and the changes away from the v2.5 Heavy Messing (Detailed) version defaults. These files can be used as a good baseline starting point for similar car types as well.

One note for T300 users in regards to the Heavy Messing series is that adding a "Min Force" value (around 0.05) is very important to get the correct feeling from these files. Also the "Gyro" setting has an incredibly powerful affect to the wheel weight and tightening for heavy/high load capable cars. The default settings for cars like the Super V8 & COPA Montana have the individual tire grip completely overshadowed by this single effect, but it suits other cars like the Ultima GTR and open-wheel cars really well. These are probably the most important settings to adjust from the start when tweaking these file for the T300.

If these file are wanted, keep me updated and I'll post new ones as I create them. I'm about to work on the Super V8 and Stock Cars here in a few minutes. I've also put down some quick times with these files at Oultan Park and Spielberg (my test tracks), and I'm up for the challenge if anyone is interested. :D

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  17. Nolive721

Nolive721 Active Member

Another beta tester for the PC2 file here:D

Happy with my Jack spade and christian pure ones but i trust Karsten to deliver even better:cool:

18. sherpa25

sherpa25 Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Just checking @F.Santos, what's your latest file? Haven't changed since around 3 AMS2 releases/updates. Header in the file I'm using says still v6.2, Momentun 3.0.

• Like Like x 1
  19. F.Santos

F.Santos Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I've been on a testing frenzy with Karsten for some time now, I ran about 20 files already but I feel we are getting close to something well balanced that will work well on high-end and lower wheels.

Super keen myself too, cos I haven't done much playing, mostly testing. I will post it here whatever I'm happy with soon, hopefully:). But Karsten is always updating the latest good one on page one too. The only difference is that I prefer more balance_scale normally and I always tweak it a bit to my liking, but I will post it here as soon as we fix one or two issues with the FFB/strength.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Michael Enright

Michael Enright Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Just a quick question. In the latest Karsten file, there seems to be quite a large difference in force as the car loads up in a corner. Which setting would lower that, so there is not so much FFB difference as load increases? But, all in all, these files just get better and better. Thanks guys.