1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What's the best VR headset for simracing currently?

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by F1 Hero, Aug 11, 2020.

1. F1 Hero

F1 Hero Active Member

I play racing games using a single ultrawide monitor. Now I'm thinking about buying a VR headset, but I know almost nothing about it.

What's the best VR headset currently in the market? What's more important to simracing on a VR headset, resolution or refresh rate?

I also would like to know from VR headset owners if it is true that, after using VR for simracing, we just can't stand racing on a single screen anymore.

Thanks in advance.

2. DaWorstPlaya

DaWorstPlaya Active Member

IMHO, resolution beats everything in Simracing. If I had to rank the must have features:
    1. Resolution
    2. FPS
    3. FOV

So with that being said, IMHO, the HP Reverb is currently the best Sim VR headset, with the Reverb G2 coming out this fall (which will make it even better). The 2nd best would be the Valve Index due to higher FPS and wider FOV but lower resolution. You can basically ignore the rest.

Once you go VR, you won't want to race on a 2D monitor ever again. It will honestly ruin sim racing on the monitor for you.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  3. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Free speech matters AMS2 Club Member

I made the transition away from VR to flat single then triples quite easily. VR was just to cumbersome, foggy, isolating and i constant struggle for smooth fps for me and triples are my thing now!
    For me it goes
    FOV
    Constant fps
    Resolution
    ;)

• Like Like x 2
  4. psone

psone Guest

I switched back from VR to single screen without too much trouble, granted I had a break of a few months in between so probably not nearly as jarring as going straight from one to the other. Totally doable though, the idea that VR will forever ruin pancake for you is a bit of an overstatement.

I will go back to it once the 3000 series cards land and the G2 is available. I really think the combination of those two is going to be the best iteration of VR we've seen so far.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Gagaryn

Gagaryn Out To Lunch AMS2 Club Member

Different people - different opinions.

For me the idea that VR ruins pancake racing is absolutely true.

I'm solely VR now and racing on a screen no longer interests me - just seems so lifeless and un-simulation. (new word - will definitely catch on :p)

I have no issues with fogging, don't find it cumbersome - HMD stays connected, powers on from the same socket as my wheel so is always ready. I have the index with an additional head strap thing - see picture - which really improves the comfort and allows it to sit on your head looser than it would without it with no movement. No more adjusting tension - I just put it on like a weird hat. For me, VR was a game changer. I know others think otherwise, but I'd never go back.

[​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. tlsmikey

tlsmikey Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Valve Index or HP Reverb. Those are really the two choices. Index has better sound and higher refresh rate (up to 144hz), HP has more pixels but requires more HP. Both great options

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. DaWorstPlaya

DaWorstPlaya Active Member

If you weren't getting constant FPS I can see why you feel that way. Based on your sig, it seems like you owned a Oculus Rift. Have you tried a higher resolution VR HMD?

I used to own the HTC Vive Pro with the gear VR lens mod and thinner face cushion for larger FOV. I currently own the Reverb and I still have the Oculus Rift as a backup headset. The difference in resolution is astounding and it really changes the experience in VR. The Reverb actually has the smallest FOV of the 3 headsets I own/have owned and is hands down the best, IMHO. The Oculus Rift in comparison is a blurry mess and does take some tweaking in the Oculus debug tool to get a constant 90fps.

As for fogging in the lens, it can be fixed by having a fan pointed at your face. Either way glad you have something that works for you. I personally don't want to go back to pancakes. lol

• Like Like x 1
  8. InfernalVortex

InfernalVortex Active Member

I went from flat to VR and I am never going back to flat again... It is a little cumbersome sometimes, but the bright side is that now my race rig doesnt need 3 monitors anymore. VR actually simplifies some things significantly.

I'd probably go with an HP Reverb or something. Get a good graphics card and I just dont see how you dont enjoy VR so much you cant go back. My hat's off to you guys that have. It's been a game changer for me. I'm MUCH faster in VR too.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Marius H

Marius H Internal Beta Tester Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

I would love to go VR, but I've cats. Ad I love to see my equipment. But I once had a Rift.It was amazing experience. I would go for reverb G2 imho. Or Rift S and if you don't like it sell it. Or use the 14 or 30 days-return period

Last edited: Aug 12, 2020
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Cote Dazur

Cote Dazur Member

100% true, VR is so much more immersive when driving a SIM, that going back from sitting in the car with everything at a perfect 1/1 FOV looking at apex in 3D on tracks that appear totally real to watching again a 2D video of part of a cockpit does not feel right anymore.
    It is not as confortable, but the realism it brings take SIM racing to the next level immersion while still being much more comfortable than real racing.
    It also require a top level PC, but you will save on other aspect, like extra screens or expensive different wheels for your wheel base and button box.
    I have been on VR for 3 years and my only regret is that I did not go VR sooner.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  11. 2ndLastJedi

Why do cats stop you? I have kids and that didn't stop me! It work out both good and bad, I could completely escape their noise and be in a different world were I had no kids :eek: but also I could completely escape and be in a world were I had no kids :confused:

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. 2ndLastJedi

Yeah I had a Rift CV1 and struggled with performance even at that resolution, if i go more pixels of the newer HMD I will certainly have issues again but more! Anyway I've decided on triples until VR is actual glasses and we have more than enough performance to drive monitor clear 4k.
    I still go to take it off my seat belt after a long session, that's how immersed I still get from my triples!

13. F1 Hero

F1 Hero Active Member

Thanks, people, for the informative replies.

I've found a good through the lens comparison between Rift S, Reverb G2 and Valve Index. The HP headset seems to be the next generation - really impressive.

14. Gagaryn

Gagaryn Out To Lunch AMS2 Club Member

Me too.[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  15. SlowBloke

SlowBloke Member

1. Performance and reliability

FOV / High resolution means nothing if its vomit inducing.

I have Valve Index and Rift S.

I tried the original Reverb - the clarity was easily the best by some margin but its a slide show with half decent settings in most games.

Valve Index is great for iRacing - SPS really helps there - can run at native fps no probs outside of night time settings.

For Project Cars 2 / AMS2 I would pick the Rift S every time - Steam Motion reprojection is terrible in comparison to Oculus ASW. It means you can run at 40fps and the experience is still very good - meaning u can bump up the eye candy which really helps with immersion to me.

So in short if you can run at native resolution - Valve Index. If not then Rift S regardless of drop in FOV/construction quality and resolution.

I expect the Reverb 2 will have the same issues as the Valve Index - only worse due to higher resolution performance / motion reprojection wise.

This is with 6700k and 2080TI.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. psone

psone Guest

Rift S is a good interim option if you really can't wait for the g2. Might be some supply issues initially, the reverb was hard to get a hold of for a while after launch. I think budget allowing he G2 should be the default option. I would definitely not by an Index now. Oh and nvidia announce their new line up on September 1st, should see founders edition cards dropping a few weeks after that. Normally I don't bother with the "you should wait for the next big thing" approach but these are both so close now it would be silly not to, if for no other reason than to see how they affect existing prices.

Oh and fellas I'm not saying I think pancake is preferable to VR just that it is totally possible to revert back if nesscessary. I mean the way some people respond it sounds like if given the choice between sim racing on monitors or never sim racing again, they'd choose the latter, which I'm fairly certain is not the case.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. Bull Shark

Bull Shark Later has long since begun. AMS2 Club Member

I really love racing in VR. As mentioned above, it was a game changer for me as well.
    I definitely will buy a new VR set. For now my Rift will do. I can’t afford a new GFX card (3080ti or better) and a HP G2. So I have to keep my Rift.
    I’m a GFX lover. For me it is no1 to have good GFX. That is why I like my triple setup. Racing with triples is almost as great as VR. But the immersion of VR can’t be beaten by pancake mode. I switch a lot, some races in VR and some races on my triple setup. Both has their cons en pros.

if you have the money, buy the fastest GFX card and a HP G2.. looks like a winner combo to me.

18. Marius H

1.5 year ago whenever I used my headset. They were too curious. They climbed on me, climbed on the headset when I wore it, climbed onto my rig, on my lap, playing with the cables. At last I cannot see what the cats are doing, etc. I might have something to drink next to me, they play with it, boom, water all over the floor, etc. Biggest issue for me are burglars.

• Like Like x 1
  19. 2ndLastJedi

Got it with the cats thing but the burglars , you had them while your playing or your more concerned they could enter and you not realize because of the HMD ?

20. Marius H

Last one. :D

• Like Like x 2